Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #151
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

We're just on different pages there. As I've said before, movies, TV, sports, video games, etc. are all activities I enjoy more than reading. Hence why I want a multifunction tablet and you don't.

And that's fine, that's why there will be a wide array of dedicated readers, multi function tablets and everything in between so we can all find what we need.
But isn't this "MobileRead.com" not "MobileEverything.com"? I am advocating that the eReader platform needs refinement in many areas before we start adding in all this icing, we should all want an excellent reader first and that takes refinement not a bunch of feature bloat. Taking the approach above will give you a product and is okay at many things but not great at a few.
LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #152
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Fair enough. But no reason we can't have multi-function tablets and that we can't discuss the reader functions on them on this site--just like people discuss PC reader apps, iPhone/iPod reader aps etc.

I don't buy the jack of all trades, master of none stuff either. I mean their is some truth in it, but not everyone needs the absolute best performance in ever function. I seldom read for more than 60 minutes in a given stretch, so e-ink isn't a huge must. I'm not pick on audio, so the sound quality doesn't have to be great etc. etc.

Stand alone, single function devices are always going to be the choice for absolute enthusiasts in an area. But there's plenty of room for multi function gadgets for the person today who is always on the go and cares more about convenience and portability than performance.

For me personally, I want a tablet that's foremost a good document reading and mark up tool for my research work. E-ink is out as the slow refresh sucks for mark up and makes it impossible to quickly flip through documents looking for some table, quote etc., so I'm more interested in an LCD tablet. And if it has that screen, might as well have full internet support, video, games, music, PDA functions etc. so I don't have to carry so many gadgets when traveling.

Others just want to read text, and dedicated readers are the way to go. To each their own--which was the point of my post you quoted.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert