Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
deanstow
deanstow began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise, prs300
Looking for Advice with an HTML Importing Problem

First of all, thanks for reading! Any advice is appreciated.

I am trying to copy information from a forum to my PRS300 using Calibre.

I am viewing a page of posts in 'printable' mode so there are few (if any) graphics. The web page I am working from can be viewed by clicking here.

Pertinent information about the page is that it appears to use a table to display the posts. Each post is in a table cell. There is a horizontal gray line displayed between each post.

I am using Internet Explorer 7.

I save the page as 'webpage complete'

I add the file to Calibre.

I convert the file using Calibre.

I view the converted EPUB file in Caliber.

So far, everything is spot on perfect.

I then send the file to my PRS300.

When I view the ebook on my PRS300, it does not display correctly. Each post starts out displaying fine. When you go to the next page to view the rest of the post, you do not see the rest of the post. You see a horizontal gray line and an empty page. When you advance to the next page, you see the beginning of the next post. Advancing to the page after that is a horizontal gray line and an empty page. Rinse and repeat.

I looked at the Conversion Settings under Look and Feel and checked the box for 'Linearize Tables'. This had no effect.

I have tried copy and paste into a Word document and save it as an HTML file. I got exactly the same results.

I have tried copy and paste into a Word document and save it as an RTF file. This destroyed the formatting by running all of the text together.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just got my PRS300 and am trying to learn. I have had success doing this in the past with RB and IMP formats although I was not too particular with how pretty the results were.

In this case, the two results I have achieved have been unusable.

To reiterate, the EPUB looks great in Calibre. Apparently, the PRS is treating something differently.

Thanks for reading this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dean
deanstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
HTML rendering on the sony devices is pretty poor, lots of html constructs can mess it up. Typically look for things like tables, pre tags, absolutely positioned/sized elements in the html/css and so on.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
deanstow
deanstow began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise, prs300
Through more experimentation, I found that if I change the conversion so that it ends up as an LRF instead of an EPUB, things work much better. (DUH!)

I wish I had thought of that sooner.

Thanks kovidgoyal!

Still open for other advice and suggestions.

Dean
deanstow is offline   Reply With Quote