Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 05:37 AM   #1
johnjbbrown
johnjbbrown began at the beginning.

Device: none
"A novel" name in PocketBook Touch Lux3

Hi,

I have the following problem:

There are a few books in my PocketBook Touch Lux3, which show their title as a meaningless "A novel", while in Calibre all the metadata are set correctly, with the correct name of the book. I even always take pains to remove the words "a novel" from the book name if they are there originally (seems to be an American habit and comes probably from metadata downloaded from Amazon) - but the described problem happens even with books which did not have these words in the title originally.

I searched the contents of the book in the editor and could not find "a novel" anywhere; I went through the metadata.opf file in detail, again, title set correctly and the words "a novel" do not exist. Yet, on the PocketBook, the title is replaced by "a novel" and if I search for the correct book name, the search does not find it.

Does anybody have an idea what might be happening?

Thank you.
johnjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
most likely they are in epub 3 format and the device firmware cant read the metadat so is substituting default text for it. Ty doing an epub to epub conversion before sending and see if it fixes it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I have seen that as well, and managed to resolve the issue, but I don't remember the details. I do remember that the words 'A Novel' were somewhere in one of the files in the epub, in something like a duplicate title tag. Did you check content.opf?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
johnjbbrown
johnjbbrown began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Kovid:
Thank you, it probably is as you said, some token name inserted by the PocketBook. In any case, an EPUB-to-EPUB conversion and a new upload to the reader solved the issue.

@Zetmolm:
That's what I thought at first as well, that it is a remainder of a secondary title, but the editor could not find the words "A novel" in any of the EPUB's files.
johnjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote