Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
"Back" button for search bar?

Recently I've been flipping backwards and forwards between two authors that I'm dealing with in parallel, and each time I have to expand the list of authors-beginning-with-X in the author browser, find the author, and then do the same with authors-beginning-with-Y, and then back to authors-beginning-with-X again... The two lists don't stay expanded, so it's a real time-waster.

The search bar itself (the one that says authors:"=Whatever") has a pull-down list that doesn't seem to get updated when I click on an author in the author browser. The "Whatever" changes in the edit box part of it, but doesn't get added to the pull-down. In fact, I have no idea how the half-a-dozen entries that are there got onto the list -- maybe they're ones I put in manually, long, long ago... some of them look vaguely familiar.

This made me think: why isn't there a "Back" button? Or at least, fix it so that every search is added to the pull-down list? (Having "Back" and "Forward" buttons would be the best solution as far as I'm concerned...)
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only searches you type manually are remembered. That is by design, since searches constructed from the tag browser are easy to reconstruct.

If you want to switch between searches, save the search, then you can switch between them with a single click.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
There's also a Walk Search History plugin. I find it very useful.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If you create a search from the tag browser (such as looking up an author) you can easily save it in search history by clicking within the search bar so that the cursor is present there and then hitting enter. It will be saved as if you had typed it yourself.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Phssthpok - try: '/', Down Arrow

Create a couple of VL's for the two authors (Ctrl+* will create a VL for current search) and flip between them with Ctrl+Left Arrow and Ctrl+Right Arrow.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you create a search from the tag browser (such as looking up an author) you can easily save it in search history by clicking within the search bar so that the cursor is present there and then hitting enter. It will be saved as if you had typed it yourself.
Ah, thanks. That's a good idea.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Only searches you type manually are remembered. That is by design, since searches constructed from the tag browser are easy to reconstruct.
A back button would be even easier...
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Thanks, it'll give it a go.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Phssthpok - try: '/', Down Arrow

Create a couple of VL's for the two authors (Ctrl+* will create a VL for current search) and flip between them with Ctrl+Left Arrow and Ctrl+Right Arrow.

BR
I have quite a few VLs already, so creating more for ad-hoc uses isn't very appealing. The real problem is, I don't know in advance that I'm going to need to flip back and forth, and I also don't know how long I'm going to keep doing it, so it would hard to know when to create a new VL and also when to delete it.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Thanks very much for the tip! I just installed it, and it seems to be exactly what I want. The only problem is that the keyboard shortcuts (Alt-Left, Alt-Right) don't seem to work and I can't figure out why...

Last edited by Phssthpok; 09-26-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As much as I prefer keyboard shortcuts, I've never tried with the Walk Search History plugin. They don't work for me either. I have the icon on a secondary toolbar at the bottom of the screen because I use it so much!
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Thanks very much for the tip! I just installed it, and it seems to be exactly what I want. The only problem is that the keyboard shortcuts (Alt-Left, Alt-Right) don't seem to work and I can't figure out why...
Quote:
As much as I prefer keyboard shortcuts, I've never tried with the Walk Search History plugin. They don't work for me either. I have the icon on a secondary toolbar at the bottom of the screen because I use it so much!
Try changing the kb shorts.

Alt+DownArrow (next) and Alt+UpArrow (previous) work for me. And they make more sense.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #13
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:

Alt+DownArrow (next) and Alt+UpArrow (previous) work for me. And they make more sense.

BR
That works great.

Less mouse time.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:45 AM   #14
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:

BR
That works. I still don't understand why Alt-Left and Alt-Right don't work -- I'd prefer them for compatibility with web browsers. It says they're not conflicting, but they just don't work; after changing to Alt-Up/Alt-Down I changed them back again to see if they would start working, but they still didn't. So it seems that Alt-Up/Alt-Down is the best solution at the moment. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
That works. I still don't understand why Alt-Left and Alt-Right don't work
If you have the "Walk Search History" plugin installed and on the menubar or toolbar, it conflicts with those keys.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
search bar