Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
<p class="description">

When I paste synopsis in the comment field I generally remove all formatting. However, when there is an existing text in the comment field when downloading the book, there are usually <p class="description"> before the text. I have generally removed it and haven't seen any negative results when reading on the device. But I haven't neither seen any difference when keeping it.

Is there any problem with removing it, could it be useful in the future for something and therefore inmportant to keep it?
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
When I paste synopsis in the comment field I generally remove all formatting. However, when there is an existing text in the comment field when downloading the book, there are usually <p class="description"> before the text. I have generally removed it and haven't seen any negative results when reading on the device. But I haven't neither seen any difference when keeping it.

Is there any problem with removing it, could it be useful in the future for something and therefore inmportant to keep it?
p class=<anything> simply is a connection to a user defined Style (styleheet or inline)
if it cant find the defined 'class', the render uses the default for the 'p' type tag
if the <p (and/or \p>) are missing, you may get an error. Some engines tolerate errors. I would NOT depend on it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Okej, thanks. So, it's okej to remove it, then?
Old 08-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okej, thanks. So, it's okej to remove it, then?
5th amendment (US).
All advice as at YOUR risk

BTW If you are seeing this in the Comment area of the Main GUI, it was not the active HTML code, that would not show
Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@marp68 - I suggest you use the Clean Comments plugin.

Tip : when you want to do something, and you can't find a feature in the core product to do it, then have a look in the Index of plugins sticky thread in the Plugins subforum.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2016, 04:19 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

Yes, there are many good plug ins.

However, it's so easy to just erase the line with a few taps, so I didn't bother looking for a plug in. Just wasn't sure of the meaning of it, since sometimes there is no such line and when looking at the synopsis of the book in the device, the text shows okej.

theducks, I meant in this case. Since I want to start out with plain text in for the synopsis text in the comment field, I didn't think it mattered. But I must admit that I'm not completely sure that I understand everything of your explanation, since I'm not so good at these behind-the-scene things. But with every little step I understand more... :-)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #7
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@marp68 - I suggest you use the Clean Comments plugin.
And I always want to add my own formatting anyway. I clean the text and then just add header 3 formatting, since I want the synopsis text to be bigger when shown in the device. There is no way of enlarging the synopsis text as it is when reading the book. And with standard formatting the synopsis text is so small when shown in the device.

However, I tried the plug in, and it indeed removed all formatting. But it also added <p class="description">.

So there is something I may have overlooked or not fully understood, since the creator of the plug in thought it should be there.

So should I perhaps go through all books, run the plug in to add the line and then manually add my own preferred formatting as well?

Last edited by marp68; 08-21-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is perfectly safe to change <p class="description"> to simply <p> if you want, but it does no harm to leave it there.

If the device you are viewing the synopsis on happens to have a "description" class defined in its stylesheet then you might see a change in the formatting of the paragraph as a result, but if the device has no "description" class defined then there will be no change.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So should I perhaps go through all books, run the plug in to add the line and then manually add my own preferred formatting as well?
That's what I would do, to provide a consistent base. I've seen descriptions with markup to content ratios of 3:1 and more.

BR
Old 08-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You need to learn HTML (the simple, basic level that is used in ebooks)

Calibre uses HTML Templates to create those pages like 'Jacket'

All you need to do is place a Copy of the pieces that you want to customize, into the related Preferences folder, then tweak those (this way makes them safe from being overwritten by updates)

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/#customizing-calibre
Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
marp68
Addict

Okej, thanks
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The reason the plugin exists, is because when you remove formatting from the comments via the Comments editor in Edit Metadata, calibre re-adds the <p class="description"> before writing the new metadata to the book record.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #13
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The reason the plugin exists, is because when you remove formatting from the comments via the Comments editor in Edit Metadata, calibre re-adds the <p class="description"> before writing the new metadata to the book record.
Hmm, are you sure. When I reopen the Edit metadata, after removing it in the Comment editor, it hasn't reappeared.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Last I checked, yes, calibre did it for anything in the Comments editor that wasn't already wrapped in some sort of HTML tags.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

FWIW : sometimes when I type or paste lines of plain text I get each line wrapped in <div>... tags, other times they're in <p>... tags, and other times they're in <p>... tags within a single <div> tag.

And on yet other occasions when I paste plain text, it gets wrapped in apple spans, verdana font tags etc, etc. And I know for certain the clipboard contained no HTML markup because I have to go out of my way to disable clipboard markup scrubbing.

I've never been able to fathom a repeatable pattern, hence I've never reported it, but I have a suspicion it may be conditioned by previous edits of long text cells within the same session.

Added : The only occasions I can recall seeing <p class="description"> is after using Terisa's Clean Comments PI.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-29-2016 at 10:36 PM.