Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #20146
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Started reading The Confabulist by Steven Galloway last night. This is his first book since the brilliant Cellist of Sarajevo. It's a very interesting book that involves alternate narratives of Houdini's life and a first person narrative of a person who claims to have killed Houdini with a punch to the stomach. The second narrator jumps back and forth from Houdini's time to the present day where he suffers from an odd disorder that causes him to develop memories that didn't really happen.
I'm half way through and loving it.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #20147
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Rescue Mode by Ben Bova and Les Johnson.
A fun read. Room for a sequel, but it's not really needed.

Next up: The Light of Other Days by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #20148
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next I'll finish up the Star Trek Vanguard series with Storming Heaven by David Mack.
This was only so-so. All story lines ended rather neatly. No unexpected twists or turns. A big letdown. Series not recommended. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next is The Paladin Prophecy #1 by Mark Frost. I'm not quite sure what it's about. Fantasy/sci-fi time travel, maybe? It is, however, geared to teens so should be a quick-ish read even at 560 pages. Mark Frost is one of my favorite authors so when the price became $1.92 after promo code I thought to give it a try.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #20149
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm still reading Earth Awakens, the third book in Orson Scott Card's First Formic War series. It's basically the pre-story for Ender's Game. Next up, I'm resuming the Honor Harrington books. I'm reading in the "chronological order" shown in Wikipedia's article "Honorverse", so the next book I'll read is Torch of Freedom, the second novel in the spin-off "Crown of Slaves" series. This book, as with the rest of the series, came from Baen eBooks.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #20150
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I just started Judgement at Proteus, the last book in Timothy Zahn's Quadrail series. I read these for the first time about a year ago and I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed them.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #20151
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Lt Leary Commanding", by David Drake. This is the second book in the "RCN" series, and I bought it from Baen in July 2000. Description from Baen:

Quote:
Lieutenant Daniel Leary of the Republic of Cinnabar Navy commands the corvette Princess Cecile; his friend Signals Officer Adele Mundy has the latest in spy apparatus and the skill to prowl the most tightly guarded database. All they lack are enemies, and fate is about to supply that need in abundance!

- A hostage uses the Princess Cecile to regain his freedom-and his throne!

- An ally intrigues with enemies of Cinnabar-knowing the plot can only be safeguarded by destroying the Princess Cecile!

- A pirate chief joins in a cutthroat battle with a rival-and the Princess Cecile is a pawn!

Daniel, Adele, and their crack crew must battle bureaucrats and traitors, the winds of a barren desert and the strains of a voyage never before attempted. If they succeed at every stage, their reward will be the chance to fight another enemy: one which can blow them and a hundred ships like theirs to vapor!
I really enjoyed this - a good action space yarn, and much better than the first book in the series. It's actually an old-fashioned naval story, because starships in this series navigate through "bubble universes" with masts and sails, and hence the strategies employed in battles can be conveniently "borrowed" from 19th century naval history .

Recommended.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-09-2014 at 05:04 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #20152
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just finished "Lt Leary Commanding", by David Weber.
Drake.

I need to get around to those sometime; thanks for the reminder. I just finished Weber/Flint's latest Honorverse book and have started the first of two unread Jack Campbell books - Lost Stars 2 and Lost Fleet 10. After that, I'll probably switch over to Simon R. Green's new Secret Histories book and his new short story collection.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #20153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Drake.

I need to get around to those sometime; thanks for the reminder. I just finished Weber/Flint's latest Honorverse book and have started the first of two unread Jack Campbell books - Lost Stars 2 and Lost Fleet 10. After that, I'll probably switch over to Simon R. Green's new Secret Histories book and his new short story collection.
Apologies - I'd just written another message in which I was talking about David Weber, and I had his name in mind still. Now edited.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #20154
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just finished The Hunger Games. I've had this for quite a while and finally got around to reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it - one of those books where I missed a tram stop or two.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #20155
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished up Top Secret Twenty One by Janet Evanovich. I thoroughly enjoyed it! She is getting back on track with the series I think.

Now starting Star Trek: The Light Fantastic by Jefferey Lang. It's about Data, Lal and Professor Moriarty and looks awesome.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #20156
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Silkworm

Quote:
I'd like it better if there were more of Robin, I think. And I'd like it a lot better if the two of them would stop miscommunicating. And I'd really like it better if the murder (and the novel it is based on) were less ridiculously gruesome.

I'll likely finish it. But it won't make me in any hurry to buy the next one.
It's getting better. I took a break from it to finish off Like a Mighty Army, the most recent of the Safehold books from David Weber. I definitely liked it better than the couple before, I suspect at least in part because the Audible reader was back to the original for the series. This was a mixed read/listen book.

Silkworm, OTOH, is settling down to be more interesting. There's less of the detail about the goriness of the crime, and more about the who and how of it.

On a completely different note, I've started rereading the Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey books, beginning with the first novel, Whose Body?. What a delight these are. Some of them I'm going to read in eBook, but some I'll read as Audible books, especially where I can get ones read by Nadia May (aka Donata Peters, aka Wanda McCaddon). I'm already totally immersed in the book, and enjoying it immensely.

Last edited by CRussel; 07-10-2014 at 02:27 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #20157
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I read Silkworm over the weekend and really enjoyed it, as I did The Cuckoo's Calling. I had an early bias not to read Robert Galbraith since it was hard to imagine that the author of the Harry Potter series would also be a master of the mystery genre. But she really is. I eagerly anticipate the next book.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #20158
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Just started Act Of War by Brad Thor
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #20159
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Light of Other Days by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter
Which was an excellent near-future and deep time novel.

Now for something completely different. The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer, first published in 1936 and I bought it back in August 2012. A delightful Regency romance adventure.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #20160
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Finished reading The Good Soldier Svejk last night. Never laughed so hard from reading a book. It's a shame that the author didn't finish it.

Next I plan on going through Jane Austen. Can't decide where to start from but I am guessing the famous Pride and Prejudice would be good.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote