Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Yes, now that I've got the hang of it, I'm *loving* the swipe! Much easier than the button.

Before I decided to buy a nook, I asked friends with gizmos to meet me at a BN display. I held the kindle right up next to the display nook to compare, and the speed was pretty much the same, as was the screen clarity (once I found equivalent fonts) and the pdf reflow. I think your in-store experience must not be representative.

It took me about 15 mins with my new nook to get used to the navigation . . . but then, it took me awhile to get used to my iPod, too, back in the day. Now I find navigating both devices to be sensible and easy.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
I played with one at B&N the other day, and the touchscreen part didn't seem responsive at all. Then I realized that I was _pressing_ the way I would on my old Nokia 770 touchscreen, it was MUCH more responsive to just a feather touch.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I went to B&N and played with the nook again today. I will say this: the latest firmware upgrade is a VAST improvement over what it had before. The touch screen was much more responsive and I liked the menus a little better (even though it was only little changes). I love the addition of a web browser but it looks like it only works on wifi and I didn't connect it to wifi while I was in there, so I don't know how well it works. The nook is still slower in looking up words and doing anything that has to do with navigating on the eink screen. This is mostly because you can't just hold the down button and have the cursor scroll through multiple lines. You have to hit the direction individually each time. That was a minor annoyance for me. Also, and I've been saying this from the beginning, why does the nook not bring up the definition of a word on the LCD? I think this would be a big advantage over the Kindle. Right now the Kindle shows a preview of the definition automatically at the bottom of the screen, which is pretty cool and in most cases gives you what you need to know without opening the dictionary separately. I think it's annoying when I do have to open the dictionary, though. The nook could display the full definition right there on the LCD and it could probably bring it up pretty quickly, too. The nook apparently already worked in a way to display web pages on the LCD. Why not definitions? That's just a non-nook user's pet peeve, though. For the most part, I'm pretty impressed with the improvements. I'll be interested in seeing what Amazon announces next. Amazon has given me a lot of good customer support recently and while I don't generally like brand loyalty, I have grown rather fond of Amazon.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #19
jduffy
jduffy began at the beginning.

Device: none
No, just received mine this week and love it. Never has locked up. I even installed the new software update right away without incident. I looked a Kindle before buying the Nook. What I did not like about the Kindle was lack of book sharing/lending and the battery issue. I can borrow ebooks from the library - cannot do that on the Kindle. Plus when the battery fails, I can replace the batttery in the Nook myself. When the battery dies in the Kindle, you have to send it back so that Amazon can replace it.

As for speed, Nook is a little slower when you turn it on from a complete shutoff. When you wake it up, a few and I mean FEW seconds to go from the sleep image to the book I was reading. Really fast.

Now my wife wants here own Nook, and with the WiFi version at $149, that's a great deal. Will be ordering that one for her soon.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
TinyTink
TinyTink began at the beginning.

Device: nook
You are so right, the swip to turn a page is wonderful. I use this all the time and it works great.. I don't have another ereader nor have I been able to compare them but I do know that I love my Nook and wouldn't trade it for anything. Very easy to navigate and the new 1.4 update seems to have made it even more responsive. Seems like the pages turn faster. Again love, love, love my Nook.
TinyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
nook kindle