Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
HelenB
HelenB began at the beginning.

Device: Tapwave Zodiac
How do I turn off the music?

I transfered some MP3 to the Reader, and started listening. Sound pretty good, but my problem is - how do I turn the music off?

I've tried turning off the device, but when I turn it back on the music starts up again.
HelenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Heh, it's not real obvious is it?!
If you go to the main menu (hold the menu ring for >5secs), then I think there is a music option. Then choose pause. Yeah, I know, pause doesn't sound like stop, but I believe it's off when it's on pause.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I thought I read somewhere that you could push volume up/volume down simultaneously to pause, but that didn't work on my Reader (though it should work, since it's a great idea).
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
HelenB

Thanks, for your replies!

Actually, I found an easy way to do it. The Volume button is not only a slider, but it is also a toggle switch. Pressing down on the end near the word 'Vol" toggles it on and off.
The Music icon in the lower right hand of the Reader Screen will have an X on it when off.

Bob, I do not see any option for pausing anyhwhere in the Menu; not in Audio, or Settings, or anywhere . All I ever find in Settings is Orentation, Screen Lock, Slideshow, About and Restore Defaults.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah. Didn't have my Reader nearby. I'll have to take a look (and try your method!) when I get back to it.
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenB
Thanks, for your replies!

Actually, I found an easy way to do it. The Volume button is not only a slider, but it is also a toggle switch. Pressing down on the end near the word 'Vol" toggles it on and off.
The Music icon in the lower right hand of the Reader Screen will have an X on it when off.

Bob, I do not see any option for pausing anyhwhere in the Menu; not in Audio, or Settings, or anywhere . All I ever find in Settings is Orentation, Screen Lock, Slideshow, About and Restore Defaults.
OK, I tried this. The X through the volume bar is attained by either holding the UP volume OR DOWN volume button for a few seconds, and this just MUTES the audio. It does not turn the song off. So you're still wasting battery (as far as I can tell).

I guess there's no way to pause music without going to the song that's playing and pushing in on the jog wheel?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Yep. I think WilliamG is exactly right... it only mutes the music and you would still use battery.

Try this:

Go to the home menu and click on the playing button "7". You will see the song you are playing and you will see the counter ticking the time away. Press dead center on the Joystick and the counter will stop clicking. Hold down the Menu button and you will see that the now playing has switched to the pause icon. That will actually stop the playback.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
HelenB

Yes, WilliamG is correct.

I went into the Menu and saw the Now Playing and can now see that the Reader was playing away, but silently (My method only Mutes).

It took me awhile to get it to pause by going into Now Playing and holding down that jog button for several seconds, and it finally seems Paused.

I think this a flaw that Sony needs to address. There ought to be a way to completely turn music OFF.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I kinda think that a mute on a device that has no external speaker is largely pointless, I'd rather see this "hold down" trick pause/un-pause, I think.

The only way I've found to completely turn the music off was to completely remove the sound files. (I don't want another music player, anyway )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Charles Armour
Charles Armour began at the beginning.

Device: Sony RS-500
How do I turn off the music?

Press the "joy Stick" on the Menu and hold it a second and you will see that the time counter has stopped. The music can't be discharging the battery if the time counter is stopped.
Charles Armour is offline   Reply With Quote