Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #121
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh, ok, then that shouldn't make a difference. Have you upgraded it to the most recent firmware? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I seem to recall there was some mention of a firmware upgrade to support the devices working with the Mac. Perhaps it is needed to register on the Mac... I have no idea.

You might want to shoot an email to Sony tech support.

BOb
My Reader firmware version is 1.1.00.18040 and it reads non-drm epub files, so I think it's the most current version. I have never updated it though because I didn't think that could be done on a mac yet....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #122
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
No, my name is not actually AprilHare but I have put it in to protect the guilty (Me!)
Strange and wonderful thing surprising Sony Online Support
Quote:
Problem: I installed eBL 3.0 for Mac on G3 350 MHz Power Mac, running Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 2 GB of harddisk space and 256 MB RAM. After install I run the application; the only thing that appears is a number of menu items that apparently don't work (Quit). Tried re

(( Analyst Mitch_ is here to assist you. ))
AprilHare> Hello.
Mitch_> Hi April. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Mitch. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Mitch_> Thank you for waiting, April. I'm sorry that the eBook library Software is not working in the Macintosh Computers. I'll be glad to assist you with this.
>AprilHare> Thankyou!
Mitch_> I understand that you have installed the eBook library Software in the Macintosh Computer. Is that correct?
AprilHare> Yes, that's correct.
AprilHare> The installation gave no errors and I allowed it to reboot.
Mitch_> Thanks for the confirmation.
Mitch_> I'm sorry that the eBook library Software is not compatible with the Macintosh Computer.
Mitch_> The compatible Software for the Macintosh Computer will be released at the end of this summer.
AprilHare> I see. I had downloaded this version of the software from http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and I will look there for any updates. The version I installed was 3.0.00.08240_MAC.
AprilHare> I will wait for an update
AprilHare> Thankyou for your time.
Mitch_> I'm sorry for the delay.
AprilHare> No problem, I'm still here
Mitch_> I'm sorry that the library Software is currently not compatible with the PRS500 Reader.
AprilHare> I'm sorry to hear that
AprilHare> This isn't something I expected however I do have a Windows PC to fall back upon. However I'd be interested in an update either for the PRS-500 or the Macintosh software. I wrote to let you know however that the Macintosh software doesn't work on my system.
AprilHare> Thanks for your time - I will let you go now.
Mitch_> You're welcome.
Mitch_> It was a pleasure to assist you.
Mitch_> Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.
Mitch_> Analyst has closed chat and left the room

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-25-2009 at 10:37 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #123
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
No, my name is not actually AprilHare but I have put it in to protect the guilty (Me!)
I think your name is still in there if you want to still edit it out.

BTW: I totally missed that you have a PRS-500... had I known that I could have told you right away that won't be supported. (Which really sucks).

Although it is strange that is recognizes it, tells you it needs to be registered then bombs.

I would be a little concerned, the guy at first told you that they don't even support Macs yet. WHAT???

I'm guessing if you can register it on a Windows PC that it should work if you can transfer .lrx files to it. Although, I think the store is converting over to ePubs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #124
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Mac Version leaves the PRS-500 in the dust.

I'm very disappointed. Us 500 users were "proof of concept" for Sony, and to be abandoned at this point is annoying beyond belief. Yeah I already know it won't support ePUB, but not even a connection to the device? And the installer littered my drive with like 10 files!

Any news on future 500 support? (Okay, okay, you can stop laughing now! )

-Pie
I finally broke down and sold my 500 to a guy in Ireland who really wanted it.

At least Sony offered a $100 trade in on the 505, which is more than a lot of companies would do with older devices. Maybe they'll offer trade ins on the 300 and 600, too.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #125
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

An update from me and my registering problem: it works now! So what I here's how I got it to work. Well, I can't say I GOT it to work, but now it works.

So after numerous times of clicking "yes" when it asked me if I wanted to register the reader, I decided to click "no." And then I went into the "my account" part. Then to "manage device"

THEN I clicked on authorize device from that window and the status came up, spun a bit, and now my reader is authorized.

So not saying what I did was the cause of it working, but it I'm authorized and I can officially buy legit books for my sony reader. Yahoo!

Thanks to all the members that tried to help me tho. You guys rock!

Last edited by tsgreer; 08-25-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #126
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:
I just installed it on my ppc mac mini. I run 2 versions of os x, leopard and tiger on two different drives. They are both patched up to date. The tiger version is working as it should (I haven't rebooted leopard yet). I didn't see this mentioned as a test, but you might try running as a new user or different user and see if it works. You may have something running that conflicts with the sony software and as a different users, that programs won't be running. Just one more idea...good luck.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #127
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think your name is still in there if you want to still edit it out.

BTW: I totally missed that you have a PRS-500... had I known that I could have told you right away that won't be supported. (Which really sucks).

Although it is strange that is recognizes it, tells you it needs to be registered then bombs.

I would be a little concerned, the guy at first told you that they don't even support Macs yet. WHAT???

BOb
Whoops Edited.
Yes I didn't realise it didn't support the PRS-500 - I downloaded it directly from the hyperlink here on MobileRead. It would allow me presumably to put books on a memory card though.
Yeah as I said, such a rare but great thing to surprise a online support man like that
I guess we PRS-500 users need to wait for support. Hurry up Sony forsooth!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #128
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
So what are the exciting new features that would make me upgrade to this version of the Sony Library?

It might be worth upgrading if I can ditch ADE...

Last edited by doreenjoy; 08-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #129
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Whoops Edited.
Yes I didn't realise it didn't support the PRS-500 - I downloaded it directly from the hyperlink here on MobileRead. It would allow me presumably to put books on a memory card though.
Yeah as I said, such a rare but great thing to surprise a online support man like that
I guess we PRS-500 users need to wait for support. Hurry up Sony forsooth!
Actually, see tsgreer's post a few above this one, he got is 500 to register on the Mac version. (Hopefully I am wrong and so is tech support.)

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #130
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
So what are the exciting new features that would make me upgrade to this version of the Sony Library?
The biggest things that I am aware of is that it iterates directly with the Adobe ID authentication so you don't need to work with ADE separately.

It will also work with certain public libraries directly also.

I assume to it is need to support the annotation features of the PRS600.

Other than that, I don't see much else.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #131
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Actually, see tsgreer's post a few above this one, he got is 500 to register on the Mac version. (Hopefully I am wrong and so is tech support.)

BOb
He is my hero if this indeed is true! Especially given this: I just this on Sony's website:
Device: Works with Reader Digital Book by Sony (Models: PRS-505, PRS-700, Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition). Not currently compatible with the PRS-500 model.
I thought he said 505... :/

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-25-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: moar
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #132
tsgreer

Quote:
He is my hero if this indeed is true! Especially given this: I just this on Sony's website:
Device: Works with Reader Digital Book by Sony (Models: PRS-505, PRS-700, Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition). Not currently compatible with the PRS-500 model.
Gosh, I am not going to be your hero I'm afraid. I do have a 500 and a 505, but my troubles were getting my 505 registered.

I did finally get it registered, but I never attempted the 500 because I realized they didn't support it. Sorry!!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #133
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Gosh, I am not going to be your hero I'm afraid. I do have a 500 and a 505, but my troubles were getting my 505 registered.
DOH! I guess I should get to bed... I am so confused. I thought you meant you got it working with a 500...

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #134
tsgreer

Quote:
DOH! I guess I should get to bed... I am so confused. I thought you meant you got it working with a 500...

BOb
No worries! I was carrying on a couple of different conversations, sorry if I confused anyone!

Summary: I finally got my 505 registered after a bit of trouble. My 500 is still being totally ignored. But I do WISH they supported the 500's...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #135
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
No worries! I was carrying on a couple of different conversations, sorry if I confused anyone!

Summary: I finally got my 505 registered after a bit of trouble. My 500 is still being totally ignored. But I do WISH they supported the 500's...
We all do. - Next job: find out if the PC version supports the PRS-500 under AMD64