Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
ziphnor
Enthusiast
ziphnor began at the beginning.

Device: none
This works very nicely, giving me very good looking full screen viewing with panel view enabled. I didnt have to resize the comic in question (it was slightly too high resolution and worked just fine).

It would be quite convenient if this could process cbr/cbz files directly, btw (edit: though i guess that it can just be made part of batch script as well).
ziphnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5e View Post
An example batch file (with KindleComicParser.exe, kindlegen, kindlestrip.py, and the batch file in a folder that's added to Window's PATH environment variable):
Code:
echo Kindle Comic Generator

set /p comicname= Please enter comic name: 
KindleComicParser.exe %comicname%
kindlegen -c2 %comicname%.opf -o out.mobi
kindlestrip.py out.mobi %comicname%.mobi
del out.mobi
I keep getting ".NET Framework Initialization Error - Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application"

However, the program works fine when I don't try to use a batch file.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
123qwesz
123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have problems viewing comics on my Kindle Paperwhite. After following the steps from
I still have the same error, every subsequent page is a blank page, and it is not full screen nor panel viewable...

I followed all the steps but to no avail... Any advice?
123qwesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by duelle View Post
I keep getting ".NET Framework Initialization Error - Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application"

However, the program works fine when I don't try to use a batch file.
That's strange. I built the program to target .NET 2.0 and after some googling, I guess there might be some strange issues with backwards compatibility... So I'm going to try targeting .NET 4.0 and hopefully people installing the latest .NET framework shouldn't have any problems.
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #35
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123qwesz View Post
I have problems viewing comics on my Kindle Paperwhite. After following the steps from
I still have the same error, every subsequent page is a blank page, and it is not full screen nor panel viewable...

I followed all the steps but to no avail... Any advice?
How are your images formatted (Resolution, file format, etc)?

If you can send me the generated files and/or a sample of what you were trying to convert, it would be helpful in finding out what's going wrong.
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #36
Dc5e

Requirements:
  • .NET 4.0 Framework
  • Batch image editor
  • Kindlegen with KF8 support.
  • Patience

What it does:
The Kindle Paperwhite's image editor no longer stores last read location, so my solution is to create a .mobi Panel View comic book (images fill the screen). This program will generate the .html, .opf, and .ncx files for Kindlegen to generate the .mobi.

How to use:
  1. Prepare comic/manga images using a batch image editor (IrfanView, Photoshop, etc) or Mangle. Resize the images to 758x1024 in .png or .jpg formats and apply any other sharpening/processing as you wish. Other resolutions may give errors during Kindlegen. I recommend converting to 8-bit grayscale to save space.
  2. Organize the images into folders (Use leading 0's to avoid file ordering problems). For example,

C:\Naruto
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\001.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\002.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\001.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\002.png
    etc...

3. Open KindleComicParser.exe (attached to this post), type in a title name into the textbox, click process, and select C:\Naruto.
    A message should pop up once complete, and C:\Naruto should be filled with a .opf, .ncx, and many .html files.
  4. Run Kindlegen (link to download page) on the .opf file. Depending on how many images you have, this may take awhile. Once completed, the .mobi file should be in the directory.
  5. Remove the SRCS record to reduce the .mobi filesize in half. You can use Kindlestrip.
  6. Copy the .mobi file to your Kindle!

Changelog:
  • 0.2.1 - Changed to use .NET 4.0 to hopefully eliminate any backwards compatibility issues
  • 0.2 - Added Command line ability
  • 0.1 - Initial Version
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleComicParser 0.2.1.zip (6.1 KB, 2224 views)

Last edited by Dc5e; 11-19-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #37
ziphnor
Enthusiast
ziphnor began at the beginning.

Device: none
As reported earlier this works fine, but i can't get it to work with multiple chapter (ie images in subfolders). I get the following type of error:

Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content URL: <path>.ncx
Error(prcgen):E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):<path> #8-00fc.html
ziphnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Okay, it was giving me the same error so I tried just putting everything into the folder with the images and that worked. So, I assume there's something wrong with my PATH setup. Anyway, when I input a name (for %comicname%) with spaces, it calls up the GUI and wants me to input the name again and manually select the directory. However, if I input a name with no spaces, everything goes through just fine. I don't know if this is a limitation of the program or batch files in general, just letting you know.

Otherwise, the only thing that could make this easier is to integrate a program to automatically reorient and resize the images and make it all usable from simple GUI with options for image size, greyscale, etc.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
Dc5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by duelle View Post
Okay, it was giving me the same error so I tried just putting everything into the folder with the images and that worked. So, I assume there's something wrong with my PATH setup. Anyway, when I input a name (for %comicname%) with spaces, it calls up the GUI and wants me to input the name again and manually select the directory. However, if I input a name with no spaces, everything goes through just fine. I don't know if this is a limitation of the program or batch files in general, just letting you know.

Otherwise, the only thing that could make this easier is to integrate a program to automatically reorient and resize the images and make it all usable from simple GUI with options for image size, greyscale, etc.
That's a problem with the batch file. If you add a space, it'll treat the other words as extra arguments and cause problems. If you add quotes around %comicname%, %comicname%.mobi, and %comicname%.opf, it should work with spaces.

I've updated that post to fix this.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #40
Dc5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziphnor View Post
As reported earlier this works fine, but i can't get it to work with multiple chapter (ie images in subfolders). I get the following type of error:

Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content URL: <path>.ncx
Error(prcgen):E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):<path> #8-00fc.html
Hm... I'm not really sure what that error means. If I could get a sample of what you were trying to convert and the generated files I would be able to look into it more.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #41
123qwesz
123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.123qwesz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I used Paint.Net to convert each page into 758x1024 in 8 Bit and the issue of blank pages has been resolved. Unfortunately, the pages still do not show full page. I have to zoom in to show it in full. Even so, when I go to the next page, it will automatically zoom out again.

Panel view still does not seem to work, even when I double tapped. I've added a video to show the issues I'm facing. I'm on the latest firmware (as you can see in the last part of the video)

EDIT: Got it working already! Was using an earlier version of Kindlegen that did not support Panel view.

Last edited by 123qwesz; 11-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #42
Simplex
Simplex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WiFi
I have a question regarding images/comics on Paperwhite.
On kindle keyboard I could switch to landscape when viewing images - this worked great for calvin and hobbes comic, which is presented in landscape. I do not see that function in kindle paperwhite. Was it removed by amazon, or am I looking in the wrong place? (When I press the "settings" icon (3 bars) the only options I see are "Kindle store", and "Setting". No rotation options, no zoom options, nothing!)
Simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #43
123qwesz

I've created a short video of the PanelView on the paperwhite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fBYt9Csz-QQ

Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #44
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great video demo. Thanks!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #45
phoneline
phoneline began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
chainlp can convert prefect comic file for kindle paperwhite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure out how to use it. Everything I've tried has given me errors or done nothing. I've done the rest of the process and it worked great. But since I can't seem to get kindlestrip to work, I'm stuck with files in the hundreds of MBs.

Could you please give me a step-by-step on how to use the kindlestrip python file?

ETA: Nevermind! It looks like I just didn't have the right version of python installed or something. Reinstalled and now it's working!
no722.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/chainlp/

It's a japanese software but with a English interface . The last version added the (fixed-layout=true,book-type=comic),when output the mobi file.

I've used it . The mobi is good work with fullscreen ,panel view.
phoneline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite