Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #61
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Call me an old fogey but I liked the Cloud the way it was. I don't like it telling me I have too many songs uploaded for a free account. :/
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #62
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Are people seriously having a go at Amazon because they are now restricting something they give away for free?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #63
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Are people seriously having a go at Amazon because they are now restricting something they give away for free?

It wasn't free - it was a service provided to those who purchased music from Amazon.

Now they've changed the terms with very little warning, and yes, I'm not happy with that. It makes buying music from Amazon VERY unattractive to me right now.

Changes in TOSs nearly always make people unhappy. I don't know why you think Amazon should be exempt. Griping at, oh say, Facebook, is a way of life.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #64
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It would be nice to have either Amazon Cloud or Google Music here in the UK.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #65
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Free along with a purchase of music sort of goes without saying.... it's still free and you didn't have to purchase for example $25 worth of music to qualify, right?

They still provide you with free cloud storage for any music you purchase from them, it's only non-Amazon purchased songs that there is a limit on.

Apologies if I'm reading it wrong but is that correct?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
They still provide you with free cloud storage for any music you purchase from them, it's only non-Amazon purchased songs that there is a limit on.
Yes, anything you buy from them is stored for free. The 20GB 'free' storage offered last year was always presented as a one year promo (and lasted longer than a year). To get that promo space for the year you had to buy an MP3 album (for as little as $0.99).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #67
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The 20GB 'free' storage offered last year was always presented as a one year promo (and lasted longer than a year).

Except that it wasn't, or if those were the terms, they were so well hidden as to be unnoticeable.

Yeah, NOW, you can look and find an expiration date, but that doesn't mean it was 'always' there.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #68
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Except that it wasn't, or if those were the terms, they were so well hidden as to be unnoticeable.

Yeah, NOW, you can look and find an expiration date, but that doesn't mean it was 'always' there.
It was part of all the promo emails and ads on the website they put out when the clould launched.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It was part of all the promo emails and ads on the website they put out when the clould launched.
I guess I didn't rate. What I had was 5gb free.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #70
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

I also got the free 20 GB storage after purchasing an Amazon MP3. I received this email on April 4th, 2011:

Quote:
Hello "TimW,"

Thanks to your recent purchase of an Amazon MP3 album, you have qualified for a free year of the Amazon Cloud Drive 20 GB storage plan starting today for one year.

* If you do not have an Amazon Cloud Drive account:

If you do not already have an Amazon Cloud Drive account, you can find details about starting with Cloud Drive at: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore . To take advantage of this offer, sign in to Cloud Drive with the same Amazon account you used for your purchase and you will see that the 20 GB storage plan has been already applied to your account. This storage plan is not set to renew automatically, which means that at the end of the year your Cloud Drive will be reverted back to the free plan.

* If you have the 5 GB Cloud Drive plan:

The 20 GB storage plan has been applied to your account. This storage plan is not set to renew automatically, which means that at the end of the year your Cloud Drive will be reverted back to the free 5 GB plan.

* If you already have a 20 GB or higher Cloud Drive plan:

If your Amazon Cloud Drive account was already at 20 GB or higher when you qualified for this offer, the offer has been saved to your account as a $20 credit toward future Amazon Cloud Drive plan fees you may incur at the time your plan renews or at the time you upgrade your plan. If you elect to downgrade your plan to a free plan at the time of renewal, your upgrade offer will be automatically applied toward the 20 GB plan at that time.
Granted, it says nothing about the number of non-Amazon songs eventually being limited to 250, but it's very clear that the free 20 GB of cloud space would end after one year. As Tube mentioned, it appears to have been extended a bit...it should have expired in April.

Last edited by TimW; 08-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #71
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Same here... ah well, it was good while it lasted.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
All I had to do was buy at least one song during a promo period and my 5GB free account was upgraded to 20GB plus unlimited storage of all non-Amazon songs. So when I used an MP3 credit on an album, I was upgraded for a year.

Well, it lasted longer than a year; but I never used it. The only thing I have in Amazon's cloud is music; all of which was purchased from Amazon, which is always eligible for unlimited storage.

In a few weeks, my plan will revert to the free 5GB + 250 non-Amazon music plan. I won't notice it, nor will I care. It'll continue to be unused.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Correct
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes, so did everyone unless you took advantage of the promo where you bought an MP3 album (even a $0.99 one) which upgraded you to 20GB for a year.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #75
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All I had to do was buy at least one song during a promo period and my 5GB free account was upgraded to 20GB plus unlimited storage of all non-Amazon songs. So when I used an MP3 credit on an album, I was upgraded for a year.

Well, it lasted longer than a year; but I never used it. The only thing I have in Amazon's cloud is music; all of which was purchased from Amazon, which is always eligible for unlimited storage.

In a few weeks, my plan will revert to the free 5GB + 250 non-Amazon music plan. I won't notice it, nor will I care. It'll continue to be unused.
I have a couple documents in mine when I tried the Cloud Drive Desktop App. Otherwise, mine is empty. I haven't decided what I can do with "only" 20 GB storage. I'll probably let mine lapse when the time comes.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote