Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #466
plittlefield
plittlefield began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Calibre is not the only choice.
OK, which nice one do you use?

:-)

Paully
plittlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #467
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
If you really really want to try it, unzip the V2.2 and use files inside the src/install folder.

The install_komic.ffs is used by the kindle to perform the installation of Komic.
If you can read and understand all the install_komic.ffs file, than just use ssh to send those commands (and skip the part related to the progress bar).

Please note that I don't know if the folders tree is the same on the PW!

Spoiler:

Basically, the install_komic.ffs file just does this:
- check if it is an update or a full installation
- add Komic to appreg.db
- move Komic files to extensions folder
- place the upstart script
- create Gallery folder with a few welcome images.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #468
plittlefield

OK, now I get it.

Can you point in the right direction for SSH into a Kindle?

FYI, I am sysadmin with 10 years experience in Linux and SSH, but have only had a Kindle for a few days.

Paully
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #469
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by plittlefield View Post
OK, now I get it.

Can you point in the right direction for SSH into a Kindle?

FYI, I am sysadmin with 10 years experience in Linux and SSH, but have only had a Kindle for a few days.

Paully
It is called: USB networking.
Set the post filter prefix to "howto" then click the "show threads" button.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #470
plittlefield

Thanks.
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #471
pythonian4000
pythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've installed Komic 2.2 on my Kindle PW (5.3.5) via SSH, and it does start. Definitely work required though I'm happy to provide info as required to help development.

A few initial points:
* Can't choose a comic to read. The list appears and is scroll-able, but I can't select anything.
* The comic info selection DOES work, oddly - selection screen looks the same (minus a menu button), and both scrolling and selecting work.
* Screen size isn't fully used - I guess Komic is currently styled to the older, lower-res screens. Kindle PW is 1024x758 (weird, I know).
* Scrolling is very slow.
* Cover view shows thumbnails, and selecting a thumbnail shows the first page, but nothing else (tapping the page takes me back to cover view).
pythonian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #472
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonian4000 View Post
I've installed Komic 2.2 on my Kindle PW (5.3.5) via SSH, and it does start. Definitely work required though I'm happy to provide info as required to help development.

A few initial points:
* Can't choose a comic to read. The list appears and is scroll-able, but I can't select anything.
* The comic info selection DOES work, oddly - selection screen looks the same (minus a menu button), and both scrolling and selecting work.
* Screen size isn't fully used - I guess Komic is currently styled to the older, lower-res screens. Kindle PW is 1024x758 (weird, I know).
* Scrolling is very slow.
* Cover view shows thumbnails, and selecting a thumbnail shows the first page, but nothing else (tapping the page takes me back to cover view).
These are (half) good news....
As regards the screen size, I hope V2.3 will solve this problem (I already did something but I can't test it).

As regards the comic opening, both the normal way and the cover view share the same problem as, in the end, they use the same procedure.
This is what is done when you choose a comic:
- komic sends a request to an external script
- the external script fetches some information (files name). creates a JS file and sends a signal back to Komic
- Komic opens the reading page using the newly created JS file

The problem could be in this procedure (i.e. the communication service) OR in the onLoad function of the reading page.

Just to be sure, try using some of the external function: try to run the remove script (even with no comics to remove).
It should report a missing comic...
If so, the communication service *should* work fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #473
pythonian4000
pythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheese

It looks to me like a partial communication issue, but that diagnosis depends on what actually uses the communication system.

As above, selecting a comic from the list does nothing. Selecting a comic from the cover view shows the first page, but tapping the page returns to cover view.

Viewing comic information does work, so whatever is used to fetch the comic XML file works. Likewise, whatever is used to list the comics, and thumbnail them, works.

On the schedule deletions page, I can add comics to the list and remove them from it. But when I tap "Run", the top title bar changes to "Komic - Deleting comics, please wait..." and nothing else happens. I can add or remove again with no complaints (and the title then changes back to "Schedule deletions"). Returning home, the comic still exists.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #474
silver18
THE NOOB

Ok, it's something related to the communication service...

Did you place the komic_event_handler.conf in the upstart folder /etc/upstart/?
Did you restart your PW after this?? (when using the .bin, the kindle restarts itself so the upstart script is executed. If you placed everything with SSH, this doesn't happen!)

If you've done everything, then....
Does the PW have an upstart folder and, if so, has it the same path?
Does the komic_event_handler.conf work on a PW?

I can't answer to these questions...

Anyway, you can just do this:
- using SSH run the eventlauncher script /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/eventlauncher.sh
- check if it is running and, if so, run Komic and open a comic
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #475
pythonian4000

Yes, PW has /etc/upstart/ and I put the file there, but I didn't restart - whoops! It works now! Comics display full-screen, and deleting works. Thanks!

Now for a "real" bug report: the touch regions for comic reading are too narrow. They use the full height of the screen but not the full width (i.e. the right zoom button is about 3/4 of the way along the bottom, and the next page zone ends there). The comic page itself displays full-width.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #476
pythonian4000

Also, my serial also starts with B024. And no other issues yet, so Komic should install as-is on PW once the correct bin file is built :-)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #477
silver18
THE NOOB

At least the core part works!!!
I expected all those problems with the GUI...v2.3 should solve them but, as you proved that komic works on the PW, I would like to check everything else before releasing v2.3 also for PW.
So, wait for a beta version in a few days!
If we solve all the problems, I'll build the new bin for PW also.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #478
silver18
THE NOOB

Mmmm...does the option to hide the status bar work in the PW?
Does the status bar appear when you exit Komic?
And, finally, as the PW has only one physical button, you are forced to exit Komic using the exit button, aren't you?

On the other hand, I just added a new feature:
Komic saves a bookmark if autosave is ON and you exit using the HOME button in a Kindle Touch.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #479
pythonian4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Mmmm...does the option to hide the status bar work in the PW?
Does the status bar appear when you exit Komic?
I can't find any option anywhere to hide the status bar.
Quote:
And, finally, as the PW has only one physical button, you are forced to exit Komic using the exit button, aren't you?
Yes, I go to the reading menu, then back to home, then exit. The only button locks the screen. The PW generally uses soft menu buttons at the top of the screen:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370470913656.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	106675
Home screen. The house icon also appears when reading, and always goes to the home screen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370470997567.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	106678
Koreader's menu (another JB app). Its home button goes back out to its file selection page, which has a separate exit button.
Quote:
On the other hand, I just added a new feature:
Komic saves a bookmark if autosave is ON and you exit using the HOME button in a Kindle Touch.

Last edited by pythonian4000; 06-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #480
pythonian4000

More comments:

- The deletion interface is awkward to use for deleting lots of manga. The page doesn't scroll so only a few manga can be added before the "Run" button disappears off the bottom of the screen. Also, adding manga to delete one at a time is slow.

- I don't know if I'm just using the interface wrong, but I can't scroll cover view, so only 2.5 rows are visible (and therefore only 9 manga accessible)

Both of the above are for manga chapters all in the same folder (documents/Gallery). I haven't tested using sub-folders yet.

Also, why are there two pages in the README with tap location information? Is one of them old/redundant, or are they for different parts of Komic?

Tags
launcher add-ons