Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Oh yes, how could I forget Tess of the d'Urbervilles. One attempt at reading that was one too many. I could not even manage to sit through the entire film starring an incredibly hot Nastassia Kinski. I was there because the woman I was dating at the time insisted that we go see it. Even she lost patience with the Tess character perpetually doing everything she could to make herself miserable and we both left long before the closing credits.
The very book I was going to mention. I had to do it as part of my English Literature "A" Level Exam (exam qualifications for entrance to UK universities), and I hated it so much I couldn't even finish it. As a result I has to miss out a whole exam question, a third of the marks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
A recent no-finish: Tender is the night, the MR Book Club selection. That one did grab me at first because of great descriptive writing. But the further I got into it the more I hated the characters and I honestly couldn't care less what happened to them!
I'm in the same position, though I may try to come back to it as I don't like giving up on books unless they are really badly written or plotted.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #47
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I tend to run out of steam on big, historical, non-fiction works. I make it up to about the Spanish civil war in The Dark Valley, loose steam, and then forget all the players by the time I get back.

I'm also ashamed to say I've never made it more than a third of the way through The Guns of August. Even after being bitten by the Downton bug!
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
A book I read and regretted it - Downtown Owl.

It was great right to the ending. I reread the ending (about 2 pages perhaps) at least 6 times to try and see what I was missing. Nothing except a feeling that the book actually had a reasonable ending. Was like the author was tired of writing and decided to just .....
Don't want to put in spoiler

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #49
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I'm a big Stephen King fan but I couldn't even finish The Dark Tower. It gets real awful after book three. Here's how I'd rate them:

The Gunslinger: B
The Drawing of the Three: A-
The Waste Lands: A
Wizard and Glass: B-
Wolves of the Calla: C
Song of Susannah: D- (only read half of this but bleh)

And I didn't read any of book 7. If you don't like the first two books, I wouldn't recommend continuing at all. It just gets worse.
Heh, Heh. I guess it depends on what you like. Here is what I would have rated them:

The Gunslinger: B
The Drawing of the Three: B+
The Waste Lands: B-
Wizard and Glass: A
Wolves of the Calla: A
Song of Susannah: C
The Dark Tower (7th): D . Yeah it was really bad, but "what was in the tower" and what it represented was a real surprise.

For me the turning point was Wizard and Glass. Really, it should have been the first of the 7 books, not the 4th. Because it explained the Gunslinger's childhood and coming of age. And it did have the romantic element, if you like that stuff. I also liked Wolves of the Calla a lot - very unusual story line.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #50
lizjae
lizjae began at the beginning.

Device: Sovos 5" ereader;Kindle 4
'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow' - Peter Hoeg - did finish it but wish I'd abandoned it - started out a thriller and became some weird sci-fi thing at the end...
lizjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #51
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Perhaps we should also do a list of "Love/Hate" books - some titles I notice are people's favourites (like Lord of the Rings) and some readers just loathe them. Obviously they provoke strong feelings in people. I noticed someone else hates "Name of the Rose", one of my all time favourites and I am sure other MR contributors have seen some of their great literary loves scorned by others!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #52
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
A song of ice and fire for me I liked the TV show and it made me curious about the books and bought all of them, I lost interest about halfway through the second (clash of kings) and have read probably at least 40 books since even though I still do intend to go back to it at some point.

I tend to read full series with no problems I actually prefer a longer story, Since I started A song of ice and fire I've flew the dresden files, Codex Alera, Changeling, The Dark Tower, Necroscope Series and a few others.

I still want to go back to it but I always find myself going for a fresh book instead.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #53
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I've never been able to get through anything by Jane Austen.

I couldn't get through The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera either. I bought it because the title caught my attention, but I wish I hadn't.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #54
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've been a big Stephen King fan for a long time. But, I just couldn't get through Bag of Bones. At all. I just...couldn't get into it to save my life.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #55
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Heh, reading this thread is like reading a list of some of my favourites. I loved Wuthering Heights, really liked Catcher in the Rye, loved War and Peace. The first 400 or so (lol) pages of War and Peace was a bit of a slog to get into so I can understand how people might give up, especially on the random essay parts (just skip them if you don't like them, they're not necessary), but after that and I got used to it I breezed through the last 800 or so.

I say it's all a matter of perspective. You may say "couldn't get through"; I say "partway through until I get back to it". Now those I have a few of... But I'm pretty optimistic and I hate leaving things unfinished for good, so it's a rare book that I'll completely give up on.

I can't think of any right now that I've completely given up on. I did put Ulysses down years ago, but I was determined to eventually come back to it, and now it's on my challenge list for this year, so wish me luck...
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #56
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
A surprising one for me is Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby.
I read all his other works and enjoyed them all. I just couldn't get into the story on this one.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #57
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On a related topic, I recommended Nevil Shute's Trustee from the Tool-room to a friend and loaned her a copy. A week later she commented that the story seemed a bit slow to get going and that there was a lot of irrelevant stuff that didn't advance the plot any.

The book was sitting between us, so I picked it up and looked at where her bookmark was. She had only reached page 19 !

I told her she had about 300 pages to go, so there was plenty of time for things to pick up speed.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #58
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Books You Couldn't Get Through
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
Post them here! Usually I finish every book I start, but sometimes it's so bad I can't do it. ....any others I should avoid?
It seems, to my probably jaundiced view, most of the new books offered free or for cents, to be honest.........
I mostly never even finish the blurb/precis - I find I know the basic plot .........

(But, of course, I make no judgement on any particular author's work.......)

Pro'bly my narrow horizons as to quality and originality - I mean, how many clone wizarding/Templar/cop with family-drugs-alchohol-money problems/vampire/ slasher etc... "original" works can there be in the fevered brains of new writers......

The perfect example - how many ancient codex/riddle versions exist of the awful Da Vinci coddle ?

Last edited by carpetmojo; 02-20-2012 at 06:51 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Books You Couldn't Get Through

It seems, to my probably jaundiced view, most of the new books offered free or for cents, to be honest.........
I mostly never even finish the blurb/precis - I find I know the basic plot .........

(But, of course, I make no judgement on any particular author's work.......)

Pro'bly my narrow horizons as to quality and originality - I mean, how many clone wizarding/Templar/cop with family-drugs-alchohol-money problems/vampire/ slasher etc... "original" works can there be in the fevered brains of new writers......

The perfect example - how many ancient codex/riddle versions exist of the awful Da Vinci coddle ?

thank you for reminding me... i couldn't get through Angels & Demons. it was so bad that i didn't even attempt the da vinci code.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #60
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
A song of ice and fire for me I liked the TV show and it made me curious about the books and bought all of them, I lost interest about halfway through the second (clash of kings) and have read probably at least 40 books since even though I still do intend to go back to it at some point.

I still want to go back to it but I always find myself going for a fresh book instead.
I would encourage you to finish Clash of Kings...the Arya Stark storyline and the introduction of the strange Jaqen H'ghar, and the climactic Battle of the Blackwater...will more than make up the novel's decidedly slower pace. ALso, I can't wait for you to get to the freakin' amazing Storm of Swords volume, which will kick ass. I promise you. Storm of Swords had so many WTF moments and just made me gasp in excitement throughout. I loved that book.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote