Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
no way to recover from typing errors ???

if I make a mistake, say in style or class syntax in code view, then flip to book view I see something like:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 19 at column 55: Opening and ending tag mismatch.
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

there seems to be no way to go back & fix it, because returning to code view gives me just the code version of the above message.

seems that i have to quit + discard changes & start over - not ideal.

is there a better way - I don't think undo works here either.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This will be fixed in Sigil 0.4.0. The problem is that you've made the XHTML source not XML well-formed, and Tidy couldn't fix it. The next version of Sigil will handle this corner case.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I actually had this one yesterday for the first time. It was annoying, but fortunately I save quite often...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I actually had this one yesterday for the first time. It was annoying, but fortunately I save quite often...
the scary part is that you don't know you've blundered unless you flip from code to book view.

so edit code view (badly), then save, could destroy your book.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fortunately I usually am in code view mode most of the time.
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Fortunately I usually am in code view mode most of the time.
not tested, but presumably - type in a syntax error then save will STILL destroy your book. the flip to book view is just giving a visual warning that it is about to happen ?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Actually I don't think so, but I don't care to test it really.... ;-)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the scary part is that you don't know you've blundered unless you flip from code to book view.

so edit code view (badly), then save, could destroy your book.
Ah, the dreaded PSOD! (Pink Screen O'Death):

You don't have to save...just screw up and flip over to Book View, and you're hosed. And no, per your previous, "undo" doesn't do anything. Just reload the book as if from start, and at least, while you've lost whatever you did from your last save forward, you haven't lost an entire chapter/file. If you've made the mistake and saved, wel...

For a while, when I first started out, I actually got so paranoid about the PSOD that I'd start saving multiple copies with "save as..." every once in a while, so I'd have a progression of epubs marching along in a directory; I still run into them every once in a while when I'm looting my archives, it's a riot.

I know that none of this helped, sorry.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I never before Sigil encountered a program that would essentially destroy significant parts of a document because of typo mistakes. I admire the many great features of Sigil but recently I've started doing almost all my markup in UltraEdit and/or Word 2003, and try to really check for errors before bringing it to Sigil. Even then, I always miss some typos and find I must replace significant parts of my files because of Sigil's 'help'. Why can't Sigil simply point out mistakes in a different color, add a pointer to where located, and allow an interim save even though there are xhtml errors (without any automatic 'corrections')?

I've never been helped, as far as I know, by Tidy's error corrections because most of the corrections are gobbly-gook that is spread throughout an entire xhtml file, or at least through many paragraphs.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I never before Sigil encountered a program that would essentially destroy significant parts of a document because of typo mistakes. I admire the many great features of Sigil but recently I've started doing almost all my markup in UltraEdit and/or Word 2003, and try to really check for errors before bringing it to Sigil. Even then, I always miss some typos and find I must replace significant parts of my files because of Sigil's 'help'. Why can't Sigil simply point out mistakes in a different color, add a pointer to where located, and allow an interim save even though there are xhtml errors (without any automatic 'corrections')?

I've never been helped, as far as I know, by Tidy's error corrections because most of the corrections are gobbly-gook that is spread throughout an entire xhtml file, or at least through many paragraphs.
Like I've said, this should all be resolved in Sigil 0.4.0. Currently, when Sigil needs to manipulate your docs as XML, it uses Tidy to make sure the doc is well-formed. That can end badly in certain situations.

For 0.4.0, checks are being put in place that will inform the user that the doc is not well-formed and that will offer options in a dialog about resolving this.

I'm currently deciding on what those options should be, but I've already decided on two: 1) use Tidy or 2) give the user the option to fix it manually ("here's a line/column number and an error message, now go fix it"). I'm also thinking of offering option 3) revert changes, but I'll need to explore that one a bit more.

As I've said before, complaining about about something in Sigil is only possibly productive until I start working on a fix for exactly that problem.

After that it's unproductive. If I could fix it faster, I would have done so already.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

I'd like to see a more powerful undo.

some other programs maintain a buffer of recent steps so that undo can be applied multiple times to get back to a previous good point. 50 steps in some cases are possible.

but would/could /should a replace all operation count as just one step ???. maybe yes if the program took a snapshot before applying any replace all operation.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Valloric,
I'm really looking forward to v4; my complaint has to do with excessive frustration with Tidy's 'help' - it was especially frustrating with my current 600 pg two volume book by Charles Lyell. I do all my markup manually, and am not an expert typist and also a bit careless so I usually spend much time on help corrections. But after all, I do admire Sigil; without it my efforts with epub creation would be much more difficult and time consuming. Please keep up the great work!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Valloric,
I'm really looking forward to v4; my complaint has to do with excessive frustration with Tidy's 'help' - it was especially frustrating with my current 600 pg two volume book by Charles Lyell. I do all my markup manually, and am not an expert typist and also a bit careless so I usually spend much time on help corrections. But after all, I do admire Sigil; without it my efforts with epub creation would be much more difficult and time consuming. Please keep up the great work!
You are aware you can switch Tidy off? If that is your frustration, it can easily be solved already...
Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
bobcdy
Fanatic

Toxaris,
Yes I understand that, but switching it off doesn't completely switch off the auto correct that so often leads to my frustrations.