Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
clippings from a book? (Kindle 3)

In the Manual, at pagae 14, I read: "Clip Your Favorite Passages. ............. With Kindle, simply select “Add a Note or Highlight” from the menu and use the 5-way to highlight the content you want to clip and then press the 5-way to save your selection."

But, I was in a book, pressed "Menu" and see no "Add a Note or Highlight" at all, dark or greyed-out.

One more thing I need to learn about. Suggestions, please?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Oh, I found that in a PDF it does not show but in a different book that option DOES appear. Next problem is how to MOVE the cursor and SELECT the clip..............?
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
StickMaker
Connoisseur

sorry, I asked toooooooooo fast; got it figured out except why in some cases the "Add a Note or Highlight" does NOT SHOW. Here is my "Note to self:"

taking some text out of a (book) and emailing it:

Sometimes you are reading some kind of document and find some text that you really "need" to share with somebody. You
can do this easily with a Kindle; here is how I did it: (note, you can't do this in a PDF file)

Kindle is not connected with any cable and I am "in" a book.

I'm in a book, at some text which I want to email.

press the "Menu" button
Use the 5-way controller to navigate down to "Add a Note or Highlight"
(this option won't show if you are in a PDF file)

A flashing cursor will appear in front of the last line of the page.

With the 5-way to move that cursor up to where you want your clip to start.

Press the 5-way; the cursor changes from vertical, to slanted.

Move the cursor with right and down 5-way buttons; when done, press the middle again.

The text you selected is now underlined. The text is instantly saved.

To view your clippings, in the "Home" list, select "My Clippings"

If you now plug the Kindle into the 'puter, in Windows Explorer you will see, in the "documents" folder, a file
"My Clippings.mbp" and another "My Clippings.txt" and you can open the latter in Notepad or similar Text Editor.

To remove a highlight from a book:
while "in" the book:
Menu
choose "View notes and marks"
press the "Del" button on the keyboard to delete that underlined text.
move down to "Close Note & Marks" and click there.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
Oh, I found that in a PDF it does not show but in a different book that option DOES appear. Next problem is how to MOVE the cursor and SELECT the clip..............?
For whatever reason, Kindle can't copy text from PDF documents. Another restriction you may run into from time to time is where the author or publisher has placed limits on the amount of text you can copy. Hawking's A Briefer History of Time, for example, allows no text at all to be copied.

If the book you copied text from is from Amazon, you can also go to Amazon, sign into your Kindle account, and view (and copy) the passages you've underlined online. The nice thing about that is that the passages are sorted by book, and not the order they were copied, as they are in the "My Clippings" file.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Thanks, WT. Very helpful. And, if memory serves, all PDF books have "pdf" shown in "Home" in front of the title.
Advert