Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-30-2007, 01:07 AM   #31
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdxf
Thanks ashkulz! I'll convert the filenames to fit utf8 encoding. I've batch converted a dozen files overnight and it turned out quite well.
It's good to see that it worked without problems I will update the instructions to not put the folder on the desktop.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #32
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
It's good to see that it worked without problems I will update the instructions to not put the folder on the desktop.
I just find out that the real cause of that problem is perhaps not with "Desktop" user restrictions. The problem seems to be related to the folder names. To put it simple, the folder names cannot contain spaces. For instance, if the batch file is placed in the "C:\My Folder", it won't work. However, it will work with "C:\MyFolder".
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #33
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

BTW, in case anyone wants to monitor new releases, you can subscribe to the RSS feed of the PDFRead file releases on Sourceforge.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #34
gdxf
Enthusiast

ashkulz, any way to add another option for converting pdf to lrf? What I mean is splitting one page into three even parts in landscape mode. I find that in some larger pages, the legibility of two halves is still not good enough.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #35
ashkulz
Addict

I think that using the landscape mode (make as many pages as needed) should work for you. It doesn't help if you make it 3 even pages, as ultimately the aspect ratio will determine the width (because making it 3 pages increases the height, not the width).

If you have any suggestions, please post them (with some example PDFs, if you can).
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #36
gdxf
Enthusiast

I like the batch conversion very much. The computer just continues running to turn pdf files into lrf files without human attention and without error disruption. The next concern I have is about the aspect ratio: how to enhance legibility while still efficiently utilizing reader screen space? i.e., adjusting the aspect ratio to split pages to meet the demand.
The screen display dimensions of the reader:
portrait: 4.54 x 3.47 in (115.4 x 88.2 mm), 754 x 584 pixels
landscape: 6.09 x 4.41 in (154.8 x 112 mm), 1012 x 784 pixels
Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #37
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I just find out that the real cause of that problem is perhaps not with "Desktop" user restrictions. The problem seems to be related to the folder names. To put it simple, the folder names cannot contain spaces. For instance, if the batch file is placed in the "C:\My Folder", it won't work. However, it will work with "C:\MyFolder".
Hmm, that makes much more sense. I thought I had guarded against that in my batch file, but I'll look it up later (I don't have Windows access at the moment).
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #38
gdxf
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think that using the landscape mode (make as many pages as needed) should work for you. It doesn't help if you make it 3 even pages, as ultimately the aspect ratio will determine the width (because making it 3 pages increases the height, not the width).

If you have any suggestions, please post them (with some example PDFs, if you can).
I am aware that 3 even pages with the same width probably won't help. I am thinking of adjusting the width and length at the same time. I am wondering if there is a way to let the program do it automatically instead of manually fill in the dimension figures after experimentations.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #39
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I like the batch conversion very much. The computer just continues running to turn pdf files into lrf files without human attention and without error disruption.
Heh, if you really see the batch file it doesn't have much in it. That's the power of the command-line automation -- which I use in PDFRead internally, while doing the conversion.
Quote:
The next concern I have is about the aspect ratio: how to enhance legibility while still efficiently utilizing reader screen space? i.e., adjusting the aspect ratio to split pages to meet the demand.
The screen display dimensions of the reader:
portrait: 4.54 x 3.47 in (115.4 x 88.2 mm), 754 x 584 pixels
landscape: 6.09 x 4.41 in (154.8 x 112 mm), 1012 x 784 pixels
That's something that I need ideas from people who actually use the reader -- I don't have one. Also, for the moment, I don't use the reader's landscape mode at all -- do you think I should add a profile for it? you can try how it looks by making a copy of the batch file you have, and modify the set OPT= line to
Code:
set OPT=-p prs500-l --rotate none --hres 784 --vres 1012
If that looks good, then I'll add that as a new profile.

Last edited by ashkulz; 04-30-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #40
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I am aware that 3 even pages with the same width probably won't help. I am thinking of adjusting the width and length at the same time. I am wondering if there is a way to let the program do it automatically instead of manually fill in the dimension figures after experimentations.
Well, you can't adjust the width and height of the reader at all -- all you can do is split it up. If you have any idea of how to go about it, I can automate the calculation.

(heh, we are almost chatting over the forum right now just like IM)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #41
gdxf
Enthusiast

ashkulz, yeah, very glad to chat with you here. You can download a Sony Connect Reader Software here to test for PDFRead. It works exactly the same as the Sony Reader Screen. I myself test on this too.
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html
Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #42
gdxf
Enthusiast

Quote:
do you think I should add a profile for it? you can try how it looks by making a copy of the batch file you have, and modify the set OPT= line to
Code:
set OPT=-p prs500-l --rotate none --hres 784 --vres 1012
If that looks good, then I'll add that as a new profile.
I tested this mode and found it good at first and then later changed my mind. The texts look too crowded to be sharp enough for reading.

Last edited by gdxf; 04-30-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #43
Jary
Jary began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
ashkulz I did find a bug. When I put pages 10 to 15, it starts at 10 and goes up to the end of the book (did that for a preview).

Btw, a preview button, where you could choose a page to see how it looks before converting in .lrf could be a good thing
Jary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #44
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jary
ashkulz I did find a bug. When I put pages 10 to 15, it starts at 10 and goes up to the end of the book (did that for a preview).

Btw, a preview button, where you could choose a page to see how it looks before converting in .lrf could be a good thing
Hmm, the page range specification works quite well for me. Could you post the command line options used when the command window is started by the GUI? You can look at the first post on how to copy it (or just post a screenshot).

Also, entering the same page as start and end will effectively give you a preview. That's why I didn't add a seperate preview option...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #45
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I tested this mode and found it good at first and then later changed my mind. The texts look too crowded to be sharp enough for reading.
I guess we'll have to live with the current quality then. Beyond a certain point, the quality of the tool matters less than the quality of the input document ... The only thing I can think of is to add 1/4 mode, but that would work only for documents which have 2 column text.