Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Would you buy a new device right now?

I am very happy with my Sony, however, lately, the Kindle has been tempting me. I heard you can finally get non-English dictionaries for it, which is something I couldn't have on my Sony. The 'read to me' feature also interests me, I use only 'liberated' books so the publishers restrictions on this feature would not affect me and I could use any book with it. All of my current books could be easily converted with Calibre and it would pretty much be business as usual for me, except that I could read French books and use the read to me feature. I also am interested in getting a newspaper wirelessly delivered to me every morning. And finally, my stepfather is interested in trying out an ebook reader, so I figure I may be able to tempt him with whichever reader (the Sony or the Kindle) I decide I no longer want to keep.

I know there is *always* something new coming out and the fear that you'll buy something and then something new will come out is never a reason not to enjoy a new technology. However, it does seem like we are at a bit of a tipping point right now as far as ebooks go, and six months from now, it really will be a whole other ballgame. If I got the Kindle and then they did announce an Apple Tablet---or something else I hadn't even thought of yet---or the price gets cut in half---I would be upset. This feels like more than just 'something better is always coming down the pipe.' It really feels like the industry is finally hitting a critical mass with the ebook genre, and it may be foolish to plunk down hard core funds prematurely.

As I said, I am all set up as far as books go, can continue buying where I am, in fact have advantages to do so because my liberated books will work with all the technology (dictionaries, read to me etc.) of the Kindle. But, except for not having those two features, the Sony really does meet my needs, otherwise. I am just going around in circles here about whether I should treat myself, because I really would use those features often and am a serious/prolific enough reader that I will enjoy it, or whether I should just be a little more patient for a litte while longer and see how things shake up...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There's always the 30 day return policy on the Kindle so you can really give it a go before you decide. If there are any refurbs at $219, even better. You'll still get a 1 year warranty at a lower price.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I just bought a "new" (to me) 505. I had a 505, and had a mishap with the screen. I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted another 505. Didn't even consider any other reader, except for the 300, and that was very brief.

I don't plan on buying another anytime soon. I mean, I can only read one ebook at a time. So I would have no use for another ebook reader.

ALTHOUGH......as I was typing this, I realized I DO have the Kindle App on my ipod touch, which enables me to take advantage of free Kindle books. But thats it. I have bought 3 kindle books. So, I'll say I have 1 1/2 ebook readers lol.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I just bought a "new" (to me) 505. I had a 505, and had a mishap with the screen. I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted another 505. Didn't even consider any other reader, except for the 300, and that was very brief.

I don't plan on buying another anytime soon. I mean, I can only read one ebook at a time. So I would have no use for another ebook reader.

ALTHOUGH......as I was typing this, I realized I DO have the Kindle App on my ipod touch, which enables me to take advantage of free Kindle books. But thats it. I have bought 3 kindle books. So, I'll say I have 1 1/2 ebook readers lol.
Kelly, Good to see that you have a new 505 after your recent mishap
I too believe that the 505 was the pinnacle of Sony's ebook products and have been considering getting a spare while they are still available.
Nothing else is significantly better than the 505 to make me want to replace it. I'm not interested in touch screen, smaller screens, colour or wireless access just to read books.
Ask me again in a year or two.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am waiting until mid-February until after we know what is going to be out and when mfg's start to feel more competition on prices. Though I would be happy with getting a Pocketbook 360 here and now as my everyday reader. I think of the small format readers they have the most growth potential w/o needing to buy a new device.

The only thing I actually like about my Kindle is the Whispernet. But at this point in time I have so many books I have squirreled away I never need to buy another book for the next 40yrs, or until I'm dead which ever comes first.

Since you have a reader you like already, there is no pressing reason to add another unless it's a smaller 5" pocket sized reader or a large format reader. Plus you have your iPhone and I have two pocket sized reading devices to use as pocket uber portable readers to go along with our 6" readers. And for me the Clie, is easily used in bright direct sunlight thanks to the transflective display...

I think a lot of us are in this same boat....we have existing readers but are sorta chomping at the bit for what might be the first generation of readers that have addressed many of the issues that exist currently. I also feel we will see several lines of readers die off this next year as well.

Like I said, I think waiting if you already have a perfectly good reader is the prudent move, even it if does not release as many endorphins when you write the check or swipe that card...hehehehe...I think we are all closet gadget freaks, or many not so in the closet about our "problem"...I sublimate with buying camera gear in between readers.

BTW, do not forget you can read other formats in the iPod Touch Kindle Reader app. All ya gotta do is use Calibre to format shift your non-DRM books. And liberation is often an option as well.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-20-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: oops ya have an iPod Touch not an iPhone...d'oh!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I'm not in the market for a new reader in the foreseeable future, but if I was (and assuming I have one that's working) I too would wait a few months, or at the very least until after CES to see what announcements come out then.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I have a 700, and will probably get a 900 in a few months. I don't mind being on the "bleeding edge of technology".
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I have the Sony PRS-505 which I also agree is the best of the bunch. However, this year my Kindle DX has become my reader of choice because I love the larger screen -- more words per page turn and larger choice of fonts.

If I were to consider another reader, it would have to have a larger screen. I recently went back to my Sony because I felt guilty for neglecting it ... but it seem so .... small (I can't even imagine reading on a 5" reader!) despite still loving the screen (best one on the market!) and the folders and interface and the beautiful red brushed metal.

I have to admit that the siren call of the new Irex reader is ringing in my head and when that is released, I will be sorely tempted. I'm sometimes tempted to buy a refurbished DX as an emergency backup reader -- the thought of my reader not working sends cold chills down my spine! But being unemployed and with money particularly tight, my smart money angel is kicking my bad money devil's proverbial butt!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Nope. Wouldn't give up my K1 for anything.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot
I am very happy with my Sony
'nuff said

Unless you really, really want some feature that's on the K2 that isn't on your Sony, I don't see any reason for you to change.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I was about to upgrade a month ago, but now I'm thinking I'll wait a few months. 2010 promises to be an interesting year for e-readers.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I am a happy Kindle owner, but even so, I wouldn't recommend that anyone who already owned a reader buy a new one at this point. There aren't huge differences between the Kindle and the Sony, little reason to upgrade (you mentioned dictionaries, but I wouldn't upgrade just for that).

I would wait until there was something with a clearer advantage over your current reader available.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm holding out until something good exists. Sadly that may yet be a long time.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I just bought a Hanvon N516 (a couple of weeks ago) - it has 2,100 plus e-books pre-loaded... Again.. I can only read ONE book at a time, but it's nice to know that I got so much variety.

Compared to my palm, it's very slow starting up and turning the pages - I suppose it all takes the same time as a p-book... My palm is instant on and instant pageturn.

I'll continue to monitor the progress of the different devices, suitable for reading... If something turns up that I can't live without, I'll just have to buy it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
All we're seeing right now is manufacturers issuing remixes of the same basic package. The essential element in an ereader is the screen, that hasn't changed for a couple of years and any real improvements are still quite far away. The Apple Tablet will just be an LCD screen in a shiny case with some intensive marketing.

If you find a package that offers a feature that's really important to you (as multi-lingual dictionaries might be), then that might be a reason to switch, I suppose. But frankly, as others have said, the 505 represents the state of the art for ereaders, and will continue to do so for some time.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote