Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Sony (Sigil related) Reader Library question

Now before I get booted out of here again, (I like it here!) I did ask at the Sony forum yesterday and none of those Sony meanies replied. And since I am working on Sigil and want to know how the Sony matches up in terms of proofreading I'm asking here. What is up with the Sony Reader Library? I want to get the Sony Reader for PC but I've heard that 'the older version' is better (it doesn't hold on to the file and you can go back to Sigil to edit) (and I've read that some versions--maybe the new one, I don't know--are terrible). Can somebody straighten me out on this one? Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
why bother with any Sony software

sigil for editing
ADE for previewing - how it looks in ADE is how it will look on sony
calibre for library management & sideloading & shopping links
All Sony software -> nearest bin
no need to shop via Sony - anywhere that sells or offers free epub will do

+ Sigil, ADE, Calibre all play nicely together. you can hot key open a book in either of ADE, Sigil direct from calibre main window
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing the Sony software does very well is show you how the ePub will look on a 6" screen.

Here is a link to Reader Library for Windows. This is a direct Sony link.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-01-2013 at 03:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks cybmole

I take it you're not a Sony rep. But, seriously, thanks for the info. I was just interested in the Sony because of the feature of the reader for PC not holding the file so I didn't have to get out of ADE2.0(which is what I have been proofreading on) and back into Sigil to edit. I'm pretty new at all this. So will the "hotkey" feature in Calibre allow me to proofread and edit more efficiently? (I don't have Calibre yet. I hear great things about it but I've also heard it's not terribly compatible with KDP.) Thanks a lot for the input. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

sigil for editing

+ Sigil, ADE, Calibre all play nicely together. you can hot key open a book in either of ADE, Sigil direct from calibre main window
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks JS

So do you think it's worth getting the Sony just for the 6" screen thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing the Sony software does very well is show you how the ePub will look on a 6" screen.

Here is a link to Reader Library for Windows. This is a direct Sony link.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
So do you think it's worth getting the Sony just for the 6" screen thing?
Yes, I do think it's worth it. I do use it sometimes to have a look at how an eBook would look on screen.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you cannot edit a file in sigil while it is open for reading in any other app: ADE, Calibre..., Sony.. AFAIK. Even if you could, it is asking for trouble! because as soon as you save the edit, then the open-for-reading copy is no longer the same as your saved work.

but surely it is no big deal to exit proofreading, then edit, or even do your proofreading in sigil book view.

PS if you are creating for a wide audience, then it is not just a question of how it looks on 6" screen, you also need to consider 5" (sony PRS350), ipads, iphones..., 7 & 10 inch tablets.... not really practical to own one of everything

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2013 at 02:50 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
With the older Sony software, the files on your computer are displayed as a list. Double click the file is displayed pretty much as it will be on 6" Sony.

See an error, click on the icon second from the right on the upper right corner. This brings back the file list. Switch to Sigil, correct. Switch back to Sony and doubleclick on the filename again and you will see the corrections.

Not suitable for everyone, but suitable for those with the smaller readers and especially for Sony-ites like myself.

The Nook software can do much the same thing, but it can display up to four pages at once and when it does so, you will see overflowing of some images that does NOT occur when the pages are displayed one at a time. A little misleading for those not familiar with this behavior.

As I say without surcease, it is silly to pretend that formatting for the bigger devices is appropriate for the smaller ones. No pull quotes, no extra boxes at the bottom of the screen. The images will be centered, without text flowing around them. The real estate just isn't there.

Everything has to be changed if the bigger version is heavily formatted. I don't get the idea of the same epub for all readers. Since you have to limit it so much to display in the smaller ones, you are not taking advantage of the bigger screen's possibilities.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks, man

Quote:
you cannot edit a file in sigil while it is open for reading in any other app: ADE, Calibre..., Sony.. AFAIK. Even if you could, it is asking for trouble! because as soon as you save the edit, then the open-for-reading copy is no longer the same as your saved work.

but surely it is no big deal to exit proofreading, then edit, or even do your proofreading in sigil book view.

PS if you are creating for a wide audience, then it is not just a question of how it looks on 6" screen, you also need to consider 5" (sony PRS350), ipads, iphones..., 7 & 10 inch tablets.... not really practical to own one of everything
What you say makes sense. (And I'm not "asking for trouble.") Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Yes, I do think it's worth it. I do use it sometimes to have a look at how an eBook would look on screen.
I'll check it out. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
With the older Sony software, the files on your computer are displayed as a list. Double click the file is displayed pretty much as it will be on 6" Sony.

See an error, click on the icon second from the right on the upper right corner. This brings back the file list. Switch to Sigil, correct. Switch back to Sony and doubleclick on the filename again and you will see the corrections.

Not suitable for everyone, but suitable for those with the smaller readers and especially for Sony-ites like myself.

The Nook software can do much the same thing, but it can display up to four pages at once and when it does so, you will see overflowing of some images that does NOT occur when the pages are displayed one at a time. A little misleading for those not familiar with this behavior.

As I say without surcease, it is silly to pretend that formatting for the bigger devices is appropriate for the smaller ones. No pull quotes, no extra boxes at the bottom of the screen. The images will be centered, without text flowing around them. The real estate just isn't there.

Everything has to be changed if the bigger version is heavily formatted. I don't get the idea of the same epub for all readers. Since you have to limit it so much to display in the smaller ones, you are not taking advantage of the bigger screen's possibilities.
Thanks mrmikel. I appreciate you taking the time to explain how it works. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

?

Quote:

sigil for editing

Have yet to get Calibre. So what you're saying (w/the "hotkey") is I can be (all in the Calibre main window) proofreading my file in ADE, remove my file from there, hit a key and be in Sigil, open my file and do my edit, hit a key and be back in ADE? (And this is kosher? No funky stuff happening to my file as I shift it around in there?)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing is, test the ePub in Reader Library & ADE. Then you will get an idea of how it will look on most Readers and larger screen devices. If you want, you could set the ADE window to the size you want to test that way.

But unless you ePub is image heavy or complex enough, it should look fine in most cases.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Heavily formatted material is a hot button for me right now. I recently put up a piece on Iwo Jima and the original was full of inset boxes, pictures in the middle of columns, etc.

The inset boxes I set all the way to the back so as not to interrupt the text flow and left a link where they had been. The pictures in the columns caused text to be broken and picked up 5 or 6 paragraphs later during the OCR process.

If you are working with OCRed material from a PDF, and you switch to a text view and it is impossible to select the column you want, it is possible to select the text in the normal mode and it will stay in the column and you can just copy it and put it into the document in book view.

If it is just text, then if you can get it to look good in the Reader Library or ADE you are pretty much good to go. Tables are the main exception to that rule. You MUST look at them in ADE or the Reader Library to see how they will turn out.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
The thing is, test the ePub in Reader Library & ADE. Then you will get an idea of how it will look on most Readers and larger screen devices. If you want, you could set the ADE window to the size you want to test that way.

But unless you ePub is image heavy or complex enough, it should look fine in most cases.
Thanks JS. I will.