Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
lm00lm
lm00lm began at the beginning.

Sony Libre - ease of getting PDFs on there

hello -

I'm an old hibook user, was looking at the sony libre - my main desire is reading html and pdf whitepapers and articles. What are people's experience with getting pdfs on the libre? or is there another device that is worth considering...

lm
lm00lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
tokyojoe
tokyojoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie
pdfs to librie? easy easy easy. just use printer for librie and print to file than transfer the file to the librie. only downsides are that (a) the book is not searchable or zoomable and (b) fairly often the type is too small to read!
tokyojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
tokyojoe, I was thinking of ordering an Librie overseas. Can you still recommend it as an e-book reader, even given its DRM-restrictions?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
tokyojoe

you can effectively ignore the drm since you're not going to be reading Japanese language books are you?

I use the librie for reading converted text files, pdfs and jpg'd comic books

all of which i've converted myself (it's easy to do so) but you can download direct to librie format from manybooks.net

this tool looks good (if you convert a pdf to txt it'll be more readable not mention searchable and zoomable)
http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/pro...xt/abctxt.html
Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Dynamism now has it with anEnglish OS installed. It also gives instructions on converting PDF's

http://www.dynamism.com/librie/index.shtml

Tokyojoe, does the conversion work with protected PDF ebooks? ALso can HTML be converted as well?

I am thinking about getting one of these, but am debating how much use I will get out of it if there are too many restrictions.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
tokyojoe

Probably the best thing you can do is try it out... install Librie for Windows (not LE). You can find the English version at yahoo groups...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/librie/

Word of caution if the typeface looks quite small on your screen it will be unreadable on the librie.

Generally I convert pdfs to rtfs so I can increase the font and make them more readable. For the conversion though you'll need something like scansoft pdf converter assistant or acrobat itself.

As for protected pdfs if you can print you can convert to librie.

HTML works but the results vary greatly depending on the source.

Hope that helps ;-)