Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One suggestion, don't scramble characters with a high-bit because you never know if they can be part of the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #122
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It is my belief that as long as the story itself is scrambled, other elements such as Title, Author, ISBN, Table of Contents, & etc. should not be a problem. As this is not something that has come up before, I can't guarantee you that the current policy will never be amended in light of future consequences, but I can say you will have no trouble from the mod team for posting it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #123
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It is my belief that as long as the story itself is scrambled, other elements such as Title, Author, ISBN, Table of Contents, & etc. should not be a problem.
OK, thank you. That's quite a lot less strict than originally thought
- OK to reveal the TOC
- stop worrying about stray ISBNs in unusual places
- no need to remove the links to external websites, if any

Quote:
As this is not something that has come up before, I can't guarantee you that the current policy will never be amended in light of future consequences, but I can say you will have no trouble from the mod team for posting it.
Understood.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #124
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One suggestion, don't scramble characters with a high-bit because you never know if they can be part of the problem.
In English, please. Do you mean things like mdash and smart quotes, or something different?

Punctuation isn't currently scrambled at all.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #125
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think he means characters with an ordinal # greater than 127.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #126
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Chars like ÅÉçčè, you mean? That might be quite a lot of unscrambled text, e.g. European books. I don't think that would be allowed for upload.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #127
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Chars like ÅÉçčè, you mean? That might be quite a lot of unscrambled text, e.g. European books. I don't think that would be allowed for upload.
Who's to know if they were part of the original...

Especially if "high-bit" characters are part of the replacement algorithm.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #128
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It is my belief that as long as the story itself is scrambled, other elements such as Title, Author, ISBN, Table of Contents
The decision was that the Table of Contents (chapter headers, etc.) must be scrambled too, at least if it contains any "creative" titles (other than "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2"...). For author name, title, ISBN, external links, etc., I agree, they shouldn't be a problem copyright-wise. The part of the metadata that must be scrambled is any description, synopsis or similar; but publisher name, dates, genres... those are OK.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:47 AM   #129
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Who's to know if they were part of the original...
That may be OK for English (or even other languages with Latin-based alphabet), but applying that rule for Arabic, Japanese or Greek books will mean almost nothing is scrambled.

I say scramble all letters and digits (use Unicode properties to determine what's a letter or digit), at least by default. If those characters were part of the problem, then the scrambled book will not show the problem, and that can be used for debugging.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Yes, exactly.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-22-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:24 AM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That may be OK for English (or even other languages with Latin-based alphabet), but applying that rule for Arabic, Japanese or Greek books will mean almost nothing is scrambled.

I say scramble all letters and digits (use Unicode properties to determine what's a letter or digit), at least by default. If those characters were part of the problem, then the scrambled book will not show the problem, and that can be used for debugging.
If you do scramble high-bit characters, I suggest using a similar high-bit character as a replacement. The reason being is that if any of these high-bit characters is causing a problem, than you want them where they are to be able to see the problem so someone can try to debug the prolem.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #132
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The decision was that the Table of Contents (chapter headers, etc.) must be scrambled too, at least if it contains any "creative" titles (other than "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2"...). For author name, title, ISBN, external links, etc., I agree, they shouldn't be a problem copyright-wise. The part of the metadata that must be scrambled is any description, synopsis or similar; but publisher name, dates, genres... those are OK.
Re: the TOC ... I propose the following, which would be very easy to do:
  • TOC ncx: scramble alpha text but leave digits as-is
  • Main content (incl. inline TOC): scramble both alpha and digits

Might this be a reasonable compromise as a starting point? Content headings still won't match their TOC ncx entries but at least the TOC won't look quite as weird as it does in the v0.1 alpha version I posted.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like a sensible compromise to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #134
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The current logic for scrambling is:
  • if a char has different upper- and lower-case versions - scramble to a value from LOWERS, adjusting to retain case.
  • if a char is a digit - scramble to a value from DIGITS
  • otherwise leave as-is
where
LOWERS = list('abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz')
UPPERS = uppercase equivalent of LOWERS
DIGITS = list('0123456789')

I think that should work OK for European, Greek, Cyrillic alphabet languages but probably not for CJK and other Eastern alphabets. I don't have any detailed knowledge about non-Latin alphabets.

If/when calibre-plugin-ised, I could envision giving the user limited control of what's in the LOWERS list (e.g. single character, word, phrase) if that might be useful. In which case, adding some special type-able chars of choice should also be possible.

You mentioned 'unicode properties'. I'm open to suggestions for a better simple algorithm to include a wider variety of languages.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #135
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That sounds like a sensible compromise to me.
Consider it done