Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Yes they can plan their releases as you say. But I don't think such announcements are the result of reactionary panic, as people all over the net have seemed to imply. (Not necessarily this thread).

I am sure Amazon is not happy about more competition, which means less sales for them. Even though (in my opinion) they have a superior product, many people will buy these other readers. (I myself also use a Jetbook). Right now with so many readers coming out, there is a lot to choose from. I wonder, a few years from now, how many of them will still be available and supported by their manufacturer.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle 3
How is Kindle 3 superior to these two new challengers?
alessandro_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
I've seen the specs on the Nook & Kobo Touch, and IMO, Kindle is still the best. you can search the web, listen to music, text to speech, tons of great books, and best of all, can be had for $114! Even the $139 version is still the better value. (Just my two cents)
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro_q View Post
It isn't superior for everyone, clearly. You need to consider what your needs are, and select the device which is the best match to those requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It all depends on your measuring stick.

I adhere to the K.I.S.S. philosophy. And using that as my basis... I consider my K2 superior to the K3. New challengers? I don't even know or care what they are.

When it comes time to replace my current ereader, I'll just look for a working used K2--if none of the newer dinguses have made any serious improvements. Since I only use mine to read books (from beginning to end; lather, rinse, repeat), I can't see me being tempted by anything less than a piece of e-paper that responds to retinal commands.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro_q View Post
It has PHYSICAL buttons on both sides of display.

I have been turning pages by touching screen for several years, while I was using Cassiopaia A-11 PDA to read books, and I have no problem with fingerprints on screen, but tell me, how will you turn pages on Kobo when holding it in your left hand?

Using swipes to turn pages is nice gimmick, but it is very difficult thing to do with just one hand.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #22
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just as the new Nook.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

I have been turning pages by touching screen for several years, while I was using Cassiopaia A-11 PDA to read books, and I have no problem with fingerprints on screen, but tell me, how will you turn pages on Kobo when holding it in your left hand?

Using swipes to turn pages is nice gimmick, but it is very difficult thing to do with just one hand.
just for clarification the nook touch also has page turning buttons on both sides.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hence my non-interest in touch-screens.
I barely have to flex a thumb muscle with current technology... now they want me to use two hands and swipe with one of them? Nah.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For a straight reader, yeah. I agree completely. Touch-screen on something eInk just doesn't do it for me. For the NC, though, it doesn't bother me a whole lot since I use it for other things about half of the time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
now they want me to use two hands and swipe with one of them? Nah.
You don't have to swipe. You can simply press on the right part on the screen for forward or the left part for backward. And with IR Touch you don't even have to press hard. Just imagine the whole side of the reader being a page turn button.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
People seem to confuse "no need for ME to do anything, I'm happy with my k3" with "no need for Amazon to do anything". And coming out with a new product to stay head of the pack doesn't mean "panicking". Let's hope Amazon execs think like businessmen and not fans.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
You don't have to swipe. You can simply press on the right part on the screen for forward or the left part for backward. And with IR Touch you don't even have to press hard. Just imagine the whole side of the reader being a page turn button.
Right. The only reason they do the swipe thing on the iPad is because it looks cool in a demo, esp with the page turning animation. In actual use, no one who knows better does that.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I barely have to flex a thumb muscle with current technology... now they want me to use two hands and swipe with one of them? Nah.
actually it's pretty easy to swipe using one hand, On my nook color I hold it one handed and swipe just using my thumbe, no different then using the same thumb to push a button. and if you need to go to previous page you just swipe you thumb in the opposite direction.

It's not as difficult as you might think.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
People seem to confuse "no need for ME to do anything, I'm happy with my k3" with "no need for Amazon to do anything". And coming out with a new product to stay head of the pack doesn't mean "panicking". Let's hope Amazon execs think like businessmen and not fans.
I actually do hope Amazon execs think like some fans; Keep It Simple Stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
It's not as difficult as you might think.
But it is more difficult than what I do now.

Quote:
You can simply press on the right part on the screen for forward or the left part for backward.
So if I read one-handed with my left hand (which I tend to do a lot), how exactly, would I press on the right side of the screen? Without getting my other hand involved--or having a world record sized thumb.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2011 at 11:24 AM.