Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #31
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
HI Kitard, looks very good. Does it work on K2i too? Is it free for download? Is it possible to make a function to chance metadata? This would be great?

Mike

Last edited by Bikemike; 08-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #32
tsa1001
tsa1001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi, Kitard!

I started to do something similar in VB.NET as well

Cooperation is good. If you post your code, maybe I can work on:

1) Checking if collection is valid (does not contain azw)
2) Create new collections

My main preferred language of choice for things like that is PERL, but writing GUI there is painful. That's why I started with VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitard View Post
Hi Noxin - I had started writing a collections manager in Python that would run across Windows, Linux and the Mac.

I didn't get too far - but did managed to map the SHA1 hash's back to the original files in each collection (bar .azw files that didn't conform to the -asin -type convention).

The tool had a v. simple two pane layout with Kindle docs on one side and the current collections on the other. I had drag and drop working to add to existing collections, but hadn't added an option to create new ones.

Heres a quick screenshot ...

I was doing this more out of fun than anything else (I have an new DXG), but would be happy to collaborate on something together if there was demand. Who know the next firmware release could kill collections all together.

Rgds

Kitard
tsa1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #33
noxin
noxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 2
If you want to do this then I really can't stop you, as far as collaboration is concerned, short of a few bug fixes(if reported) I'm done with this idea.

When I started there was nothing like it in existence and I felt I could help others, but this competitive "must-have-12-versions-of-the-same-thing" attitude really bothers me in other software (mostly since it there's no need to refill a filled niche) and I really prefer not to see it in in this particular post.

I can see a definite demand for native Mac/Linux versions as seen earlier in this post. suggest working those instead, since I have very little time for those OS's and it would be good use for your time.

Please don't see this as me shutting you down, Its just that if I had seen any version before mine, I wouldn't have spent the time doing whats unneeded, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #34
maxxim88
Enthusiast
maxxim88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
thanks noxin for great post but all versions don't work for my kindle dxg v2.5.5
maxxim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #35
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Kitard

This is really great! Is it available for download anywhere?
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
tsa1001
tsa1001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Noxin - I think you did a great job writing this program.

However, it is missing some features that are important to me. I already made a bunch of collections on my kindle (it was indeed panful), and I actually have multiple kindles. So, I wanted to have a version that would read all existing collections on a currently-connected Kindle, and arrange books directly on it. In addition, as others noted, the AZW/purchased books do not follow the same routine, and I want to make sure I exclude those from "normal" collection management (or find the right one). That's what prompted me to start my own development of it.

Personally (and I am not saying that this way is better) I approach such projects as Open Source, and give out source code under GPL, so people can improve on this and share it with me as well. This way I may learn something I did not know, or did not account for. I actually LIKE when people provide critique on my code, especially if they have more programming experience than me. It's free training for me

I will respect your wish (after all - you started this thread), and will not post any collaboration requests in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
If you want to do this then I really can't stop you, as far as collaboration is concerned, short of a few bug fixes(if reported) I'm done with this idea.

When I started there was nothing like it in existence and I felt I could help others, but this competitive "must-have-12-versions-of-the-same-thing" attitude really bothers me in other software (mostly since it there's no need to refill a filled niche) and I really prefer not to see it in in this particular post.

I can see a definite demand for native Mac/Linux versions as seen earlier in this post. suggest working those instead, since I have very little time for those OS's and it would be good use for your time.

Please don't see this as me shutting you down, Its just that if I had seen any version before mine, I wouldn't have spent the time doing whats unneeded, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.
tsa1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #37
Kitard
Kitard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
Hi Noxin - certainly wasn't meaning to step on your toes or steal your thunder, just wanted to recognize your effort.

tsa1001 - I am happy to share / collaborate, but need to do some clean up on the code first. I would also want to see how much effort there is to support K2, K3 etc. before sending anything out as I know the first round of comments will be along the lines of "it doesn't work for me!!!". I also don't want to turn this into a day job - just happy to "tinker" when I get a chance.

For now - if you are interested in having a play with what I have can you send me a directory listing of your kindle for the audible, documents and music directories and a copy of your collections.json file. Oh and make sure you let me know what version of the Kindle you have and the OS you plan on using to test. PM me if you don't want to make these public.

txs
Kitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #38
Kitard
Kitard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
*** Update ***

I suggest you check here. Very nice collection manager for Windows.
Kitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #39
noxin
noxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-booksnoxin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 2
I'm glad that others have taken it upon themselves to write their own version for Windows, ignoring the need for cross platform / native Mac or Linux versions that were requested.
This gives me a chance to find another ignored/new problem to spend my time on, and I guarantee it won't be a rewrite of a functional tool. Thus yielding an increase in the same bloat that makes functional software so hard to find this world of 0000videoconverter4.net and bobsvideoconverter.com.

This project has become the antithesis of what it started as, a time saver for myself and others.

Originality is dead,
Noxin
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #40
zorzal
zorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it is

Device: Kindle2, NookColor, iTouch, BlackBerry
I just tested it v2.2. Works as advertised. Very good. Thank you very much.
Zorzal.
zorzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I would like to try this collection manager. I would also love for there to be something like this in Calibre, which I use to manage my Kindle 2 and recent Kindle 3 collection.
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #42
azureus
azureus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I can't get it to work on Kindle 3?
azureus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #43
azureus
azureus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureus View Post
It will alter json file but Kindle seems to over write with previous version?
azureus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #44
Sabrina99
Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabrina99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureus View Post
Most Kindle collection managers stopped working since the 3.1 Kindle firmware update (including the manager included inside Calibre). More information on this subject here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131157

This kindle collection manager works with the latest kindle firmware:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/t...onManager.html

More information about this last tool on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146008 ).

See you!

Last edited by Sabrina99; 09-08-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Sabrina99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #45
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckm56 View Post
I would like to try this collection manager. I would also love for there to be something like this in Calibre, which I use to manage my Kindle 2 and recent Kindle 3 collection.
If you are using Calibre then you can use the Kindle Collections plugin in calibre. It can be used as a simple gui to modify collections, or in conjunction with calibre to create collections based on calibre data. See my signature for the thread with more information.

Edit: @Sabrina99 - the plugin for Kindle Collections available for Calibre works fine. Calibre itself doesn't and hasn't supported creating collections for the Kindle although it can read/display some collection names.

Last edited by meme; 09-09-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: added comment
meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5.6, collections, kindle collections, kindle manager, kindle2, manager