Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your mother tongue/ native language?
English (UK) 16 12.21%
English (US) 47 35.88%
English (other flavo-u-rs) 13 9.92%
NOT English 51 38.93%
Difficult to answer (please explain) 4 3.05%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
What's your mother tongue/ native language?

I'm curious about this...
If you'd take a minute...

Last edited by YGG-; 03-30-2009 at 11:29 AM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So as of today this time, it's 100% not English No more...

Last edited by YGG-; 03-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
British ex-pat living in Spain so vote UK English
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Hmm, not sure what you'd call my English.. I've been told I can't speak at all... I say flavour.. So it's the Queen's English with flair!
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
British ex-pat living in Spain so vote UK English
Makes sense; thank you!
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
English as practiced on the west side of the pond.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
Hmm, not sure what you'd call my English.. I've been told I can't speak at all... I say flavour.. So it's the Queen's English with flair!
Sounds great! (then we need examples of peculiarities...)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
What are you doing here, YGG-? Why aren´t you in the German section where you belong?

My name is ravenne. My native language is German, my posting language is Denglish, although rather than words I like to let bribery speak - or sticks if DesertGrandma would lend me hers.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I would say that Canadians use UK English, although the influence of our neighbour to the south on the use of the letter "z" instead of "s" has been customized.

There are a few more exceptions, since my spell checker allows for both UK and Canadian Dictionaries.

The pronunciation of of the letter "z", however, has not been adopted.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
What are you doing here, YGG-? Why aren´t you in the German section where you belong?
Just feeling adventurous (Ein bisschen Abenteuer zurück sofort!) [I'll be back right away; if you want to lure me, it's beer ]

Last edited by YGG-; 03-30-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I would say that Canadians use UK English, although the influence of our neighbour to the south on the use of the letter "z" instead of "s" has been customized.
There are a few more exceptions, since my spell checker allows for both UK and Canadian Dictionaries.
WDE.
So... did you choose "UK"?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Johns1NOnly
Loves2Design <3
Johns1NOnly doesn't litterJohns1NOnly doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Ipad, Kindle DX
English (US)..... but than a sub-language of mid-western US English, a dash of pacific US English, and sprinkle of redneck English. (Military Brat)
Johns1NOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

WDE.
I would've thought you'd choose #5 (Difficult to answer.)

Which of the English choices is "Arf," "Woof," and "Grrrrrrrr?"

If the pronunciation of the letter "z" has not been adopted, is Her Highness now Queen Selda? Kind of loses some of the Zzzzing in the translation.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
US English as spoken east of the Hudson River, IOW, the way God meant it to be spoken.

With a touch of UK English owing to having lived in the bloody place for well over a fortnight. Friendly people, very good beer. The weather? That's another story.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Johns1NOnly
Loves2Design <3
Johns1NOnly doesn't litterJohns1NOnly doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Ipad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
With a touch of UK English owing to having lived in the bloody place for well over a fortnight. Friendly people, very good beer. The weather? That's another story.
That happens to me too..... nobody can place my accent, since its a mix of all the places i been. Cant wait to see what happens when i visit UK and australia.
Johns1NOnly is offline   Reply With Quote