Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #166
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Assuming there were no changes to the default settings, the default minimum linespacing for the kobo reader app is set to 1.3.

There is a configfile on the kobo where you can change that, but I'm not 100% sure it actually works, as it was "discovered" after I configured my calibre to set my prefered linespacing, and I didn't bother to experiment with it.

What definetly works is setting any linespacing in the epubs css themselves.
Yes, the minimum setting through the interface is still 1.3.

Changes through the interface update the config file. And if you change the config file, that value is used. But, from some experiments I did a while ago, the device will see and use 1.225.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #167
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Pity, I like 1.2em; you have to set it at the paragraph p level in the css to override the setting the firmware uses. I generally edit Sigil to do this. 1.3em is a strange minimum for Kobo to pick, 1.0 makes more sense to me...did some dev think "no one could ever possibly want to go below 1.3". Wrong!

Last edited by ShellShock; 04-24-2013 at 07:31 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #168
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have to agree with that. I think 1.3 is a reasonable default. But it should be about the middle of the choices, not the lowest value.

If you set the config file to 1.225, it will be used from then on. And it will only change if you change any other settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have to agree with that. I think 1.3 is a reasonable default. But it should be about the middle of the choices, not the lowest value.

If you set the config file to 1.225, it will be used from then on. And it will only change if you change any other settings.
In the settings, can the line height be changed to be smaller then 1.3? 1.3 is ridiculous. Even 1.2 is too big. When I see ePub that have a line height of 1.2, I do remove it because it's wasting screen space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #170
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
From the device the lowest you can set it is 1.3.

In the device config file (easily edited with text editor) you can type any number you like, but I'd have to take davidfor's word for it that the Kobo still won't actually display any lower than 1.225. (You could also manually edit all per book font settings directly in the SQL database if you really wanted)

If you hard code into the epub css, I think you can set any number you like. The Kobo will then honour your hard-coded setting ... with a caveat. If you've hard-coded the line-height in body {...} then the Kobo will override with its line-height setting. If the epub has a specific body class, eg .calibre {...}, and you hard-code in there, then your hard-coded setting will be used (it will also prevent the Line Spacing slider from having any effect). Hard-coding at the p or div level should achieve the same thing (far too much trouble for me).

To put this in context, I took a standard calibre-created epub and read it on the Glo with your Charis SIL (circa May 2012) font.
At line-height 1.3: 25 lines/screen
At line-height 1.225: 26 lines/screen
At line-height: 1.0: 30 lines/screen (far too cramped for me)

Edit: I should have made it clear that the lines/screen were on a Kobo Glo, not an AuraHD. I would think you'd get an extra 2-3 (?) lines on the bigger screen.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-24-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: clarification
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #171
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mostly Math, I'd like to see how small the line spacing can go in the Aura HD please.

Please install Charis SIL from this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=9 and set the line spacing as small as possible. If need be, I can point you to an ePub that has no line spacing set in CSS.

Thank you.
The pictures come in pairs, the first shows the settings, the second the full page.

Let me know if there are different settings or another ebook you want me to try. This was a sideloaded, drag and drop epub.

S

PS: and now I know how to install fonts WOO HOO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122126.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	104872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122131.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	642.5 KB
ID:	104873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122145.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	104874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122152.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	104875   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122212.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	576.7 KB
ID:	104876   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122221.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	104877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122236.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	104878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424_122242.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	617.1 KB
ID:	104879  
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
The pictures come in pairs, the first shows the settings, the second the full page.

Let me know if there are different settings or another ebook you want me to try. This was a sideloaded, drag and drop epub.

S

PS: and now I know how to install fonts WOO HOO!
Thank you very much for that. I'll make an ePub and attach it for you to test. I'm trying to see if the line spacing can be made to mach my 650's default line space for Charis SIL which I do like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #173
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I have purchased 5 different KOBO products now (Original, Touch, Vox, Glo, and Aura HD) and have had no major problems.
My latest purchase (the AuraHD) arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered online directly from KOBO
Can you use the reader without registering it first?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #174
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm getting a Kobo Mini It's used. But this way I can play with it and see if I like it enough to invest in a lighted one. So excited!
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #175
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm getting a Kobo Mini It's used. But this way I can play with it and see if I like it enough to invest in a lighted one. So excited!
SO JEALOUS!!!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #176
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
SO JEALOUS!!!

S
Oh like we're not jealous of you, Ms. Aura owner! hehe

Now I have to wait til it gets here to start having fun with Calibre and the Kobo plugin!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #177
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I sideload my books, so it is Calibre managed, thanks to the Kobo driver. I believe books you buy from Kobo have the info already set.

So long as you fill in the series information and series number in Calibre, the information will be transferred to the device, so long as you have the 'sent series info' in the driver options ticked.I like managing meta data, and use the Calibre 'manage series' plugin to help, along with custom columns for shelves I want to books to go into.
When I look at the Kobo plugin, I see the default is

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

Is that going to render the display as shown in the example you pointed out, Earthsea?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #178
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I hope you love it when your Mini arrives. Due to my atrocious eyesight, I am going for the ligthed, bigger screen option. Also very excited in anticipation of the Aura's arrival, but I envy folk who have better eyesight than mine, and thus have more choices in an ereader. Each to their own, I suppose.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #179
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Can you use the reader without registering it first?
I don't think you can: you do have to login with your Kobo account. Having said this, once you have set up your Kobo as far as I can see you don't need to ever connect it to the kobo website ever again: just switch the wifi off and sideloads all your books via calibre (or drag and drop). There is a plugin that converts DRM free epub to Kobo's kepub format if you prefer that render for reading, and you can update the firmware by downloading it on your computer then copying it on the device (though Kobo do not encourage this).

As an alternative, you can have have multiple Kobo accounts, and e.g. use one to buy and then gift books to the other (but you will have to connect to the Kobo server) etc.: it depends on which tabs you do not want Kobo to keep on you. Are you also falling victim of the Aura tempting calls?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #180
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Thank you both for the update Just after my comment, I found a news stating the supposed price, so I've created a thread in the French forum (not as active as the German one ) but I forgot to update here.

However, regarding the release date, I have to say that it's earlier than expected. Which is great. Thank you Paola.

Are you considering buying one? I was so set on buying a Mini Glo, if anything like that is ever to be made, and nothing else. But lately, I've started to see the advantages in having a full sized frontlit ereader at home and a smaller one to carry everywhere. So I could be buying a Glo or an Aura
Do I want an Aura? Oh yes I really do. But I have a 9" and a 5", and cannot bring myself to get the Aura. So for the moment I am resisting temptation, though I'm not sure I'll be as determined once I see it in a shop...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote