Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
SirTimothy
SirTimothy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yo, Software "Extraordinaire" here!

Hey everyone!

Okay, so maybe I'm not so much a software "extraordinaire" as a hobbyist developer, but it's all good!

Apparently I registered here a while ago, but haven't posted anything, so I suppose I should do that. My name's Tim. Like I said above, I'm a hobbyist software developer (going to university to get a bachelor's, and then I can be more than just a hobbyist!).

I tend to keep a largish collection of ebooks (probably tiny compared to some people's), and have never really been satisfied with any way of organizing them. So, I decided a while ago to write my own organizing/managing software to make it all better!

It's still under development, and there are a number of features that have not been implemented yet, but a working version of "Home Library" is available from my web page (http://homelibrary.co.cc/). I'm open to ideas that could help to make it the bestest ebook management software out there, so if there's something you've been looking for in such a program and haven't found it, let me know and I'll see if it would be feasible! I'm also looking for anyone who would be willing to give it a try and help find bugs, broken features, terrible grammar, or anything of that sort.
SirTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to the forum, SirTimothy!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi SirTimothy and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTimothy View Post
I tend to keep a largish collection of ebooks (probably tiny compared to some people's), and have never really been satisfied with any way of organizing them. So, I decided a while ago to write my own organizing/managing software to make it all better!
There's certainly a need for it. I have a fairly large collection of ebooks (about 3,500), and keeping track is a chore, especially when there are multiple formats and a few books are in more than one.

Quote:
It's still under development, and there are a number of features that have not been implemented yet, but a working version of "Home Library" is available from my web page (http://homelibrary.co.cc/). I'm open to ideas that could help to make it the bestest ebook management software out there, so if there's something you've been looking for in such a program and haven't found it, let me know and I'll see if it would be feasible! I'm also looking for anyone who would be willing to give it a try and help find bugs, broken features, terrible grammar, or anything of that sort.
I'm grabbing it and will take it for a spin. One question, though: I note you shifted from Firebird to custom code for the database. Have you looked at SQLite?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
SirTimothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
One question, though: I note you shifted from Firebird to custom code for the database. Have you looked at SQLite?
I think I probably saw it when I was looking for a database solution. I'm writing HL in completely C#, and it looks like SQLite only really has C/C++ bindings. So, on top of figuring out clean ways to handle arbitrary upgrades to existing library databases, I'd have to learn how to use unmanaged C/C++ code from within C# (I know it's not too hard, but I haven't done it). So I've just rolled my own.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTimothy View Post
I think I probably saw it when I was looking for a database solution. I'm writing HL in completely C#, and it looks like SQLite only really has C/C++ bindings.
There are TCL hooks as well.

Quote:
So, on top of figuring out clean ways to handle arbitrary upgrades to existing library databases, I'd have to learn how to use unmanaged C/C++ code from within C# (I know it's not too hard, but I haven't done it). So I've just rolled my own.
If you're comfortable writing a DBMS from scratch, have at it, though I can't help thinking that learning to handle unmanaged C++ code from within C# might be faster and easier than writing a DBMS. I mentioned SQLite because it's small, lightweight, and in the public domain, so it may be used in anything without obligation.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Sir Timonhy:

Would I be able to download adobe ebooks from a public library with your software? Adobe digital editions just does not want to work for me.

ej
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
SirTimothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
Sir Timonhy:

Would I be able to download adobe ebooks from a public library with your software? Adobe digital editions just does not want to work for me.

ej
Hey ej,

Right now I don't have any plans for adding a download option, but I may be able to add that in the future.

Tags
ebook, library, organizer, software