Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #1546
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Your assumptions would be correct. LOL. Problem is most of it is greek to me and what might take you 5 minutes, takes me several hours. LOL. So, in the process I begin to get frustrated and start throwing my hands up in the air. I know it's not what I should do.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #1547
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Another question. I know it's not possible with THIS patch, but, is it possible with any other patch (that you know of), to change the screen refresh rate? I think it's presently set to do a full screen refresh once every 6 page turns. Is it possible to mod that anywhere that you know of?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #1548
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Your assumptions would be correct. LOL. Problem is most of it is greek to me and what might take you 5 minutes, takes me several hours. LOL. So, in the process I begin to get frustrated and start throwing my hands up in the air. I know it's not what I should do.
Hehe... it's called "learning" and "experience". Yes, learning can be cumbersome and time-intensive at times. But frustration doesn't help with it either And you'll see, next time it'll take you 5 minutes, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Another question. I know it's not possible with THIS patch, but, is it possible with any other patch (that you know of), to change the screen refresh rate? I think it's presently set to do a full screen refresh once every 6 page turns. Is it possible to mod that anywhere that you know of?
Nope, I'm not aware of anything.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #1549
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I vaguely remember it being somewhat tied to the waveform from skimming the code of the eink controller kernel module, so you can probably forget about being able to tweak it easily ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #1550
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here's a new experimental patch, inspired by this thread.

It affects the reader application (=the "actual" book reader) only, and provides two functionalities which can be used separately, but also in combination:

While the original purpose was to make life a bit easier for left-handed folks, there are probably other scenarios where this can be useful.

PS: Source code is here. The actual patching logic is merely 20 lines of code, starting at line 184.
I looked at the source and...

Back when I took a Java class, I think I was able to draw a purple square inside a white one, but the code was a little easier to understand.

Just for curiosity's sake... Would it be possible to have THREE zones? A moderately narrow zone on each side to page forward and a wider zone in the middle to page backward? When I'm reading laying down, I change hands when one gets tired.

Does changing the tap zones have any effect on the swipe actions?

Back to the main thread. Do you have any further plans for JBPatch? If I had a wishlist, I'd wish for a status bar like the K3 (and the patched KT) have, instead of the little tiny numbers that I can't read.

As always, thanks for everything you do for all of us.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #1551
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Just for curiosity's sake... Would it be possible to have THREE zones? A moderately narrow zone on each side to page forward and a wider zone in the middle to page backward? When I'm reading laying down, I change hands when one gets tired.
try a different e-book device, project the book on the ceiling:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/10...ok_reader.html
(scroll down the page, way down the page)

Of course, my suggestion assumes you do not have a mirror mounted on your ceiling.
That might cause glare.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #1552
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Will the JB patch for K3 work for a K4, if so how do I go about. My kindle is jailbroken. I put the two files in the USB root when the kindle was connected, ejected, disconnected and restarted but nothing happened. What should I be doing? Please explain in noob's terms so I can understand. Any help would be appreciated.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #1553
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Will the JB patch for K3 work for a K4, if so how do I go about. My kindle is jailbroken. I put the two files in the USB root when the kindle was connected, ejected, disconnected and restarted but nothing happened. What should I be doing? Please explain in noob's terms so I can understand. Any help would be appreciated.
short answer: No.

JB patch is specific to a firmware version.

For the K4, you get to roll-your-own, see first post of thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #1554
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just want to use the hyphenation feature for mobi files, but am still unclear about how to do this. Any tips for a noob? [Apart from reading the first post]
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #1555
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I just want to use the hyphenation feature for mobi files, but am still unclear about how to do this. Any tips for a noob? [Apart from reading the first post]
The JBPatch core is model-specific and only available for Kindle Touch and Paperwhite (and a UI-less version exists for K3). The actual patches are not only model- but also firmware version-specific.

To get the .mobi hyphenation feature working on a K4, you're in for some major effort, and you'll have to do all of it more or less from scratch.

1. Get JBPatch itself to run on the K4. Read the first post, the Wiki, and whatever is linked from both, to understand how the basic principle works, then find out how to adapt the Touch or K3 code to make it work on the K4.

2. Reverse engineer the K4 firmware to determine if it has (at least theoretical) support for hyphenation at all, and where it needs modification to "plug in" the actual hyphenation logic. If it doesn't have even theoretical support for hyhenation, find out how that can be added in the first place.

3. Write a patch that modifies the bytecode accordingly. Again, see the first post or the Wiki for instructions to get you started with writing patches.

A much easier solution is probably to produce KF8 files with soft hyphenation, using the Hyphenate This! calibre plugin.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #1556
Waylander
Fanatic

Wow, that is all too complicated for me. I think I'll stick with the Calibre Plugin option. Its a pity as I wanted the Mobi font-size, as doing this within Calibre using the font key means there is a large space at the bottom of the AZW3 book. Oh well, thanks anyway.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #1557
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Updated the Wiki (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPatch) to reflect the fact that JBPatch can be minimally run on K3.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #1558
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yup it can indeed, as since that is a "stable" platform now, assuming the supply of batteries dont dry up... might be a decent platform to focus on

Less shifting sand
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1559
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
yup it can indeed, as since that is a "stable" platform now, assuming the supply of batteries dont dry up... might be a decent platform to focus on

Less shifting sand
Why drying up batteries?! On K3 you mean?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #1560
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
sure. they will be the 1st thing to die...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks