Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
How do I update the version of a Kindle book?

I read on Kindle 4 PC.
I 'bought' a kindle book (actually, this was a $0 cost offer), and the book had some serious formatting problems. Since this was noted by a number of people, I sent an email to the author through the author's website. I received a reply from the author, telling me that he'd spent a fair amount of time correcting the errors and had submitted a corrected version.
So, a couple of days later I tried removing the book file from My Kindle Content folder on my PC, and downloading the book again. Unfortunately, the new download still has the format problems. Since I have every reason to believe that there IS a corrected version, is there a method to get that version? I'm obviously not sure of the proper way to do this.
I know I've seen some discussion about this somewhere on MR, but I've been searching for it for a couple of days....
Thanks,
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
I read on Kindle 4 PC.
I 'bought' a kindle book (actually, this was a $0 cost offer), and the book had some serious formatting problems. Since this was noted by a number of people, I sent an email to the author through the author's website. I received a reply from the author, telling me that he'd spent a fair amount of time correcting the errors and had submitted a corrected version.
So, a couple of days later I tried removing the book file from My Kindle Content folder on my PC, and downloading the book again. Unfortunately, the new download still has the format problems. Since I have every reason to believe that there IS a corrected version, is there a method to get that version? I'm obviously not sure of the proper way to do this.
I know I've seen some discussion about this somewhere on MR, but I've been searching for it for a couple of days....
Thanks,
KentE
You should get an email from Amazon when there is an update available. Just reply to it with a Yes and it will update the ebook to the newest within a few hours.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Jim Chaseley
Enthusiast
Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chaseley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
I put out an update for my book, and Amazon would only send out an email to those who'd already bought it after I emailed Amazon with a comprehensive list of the changes that I'd made.

Whilst I was (considering) doing that, however, a couple of my readers who knew the update was out, emailed Amazon themselves, asking to be sent it. They got it within a few hours. I think they had to mention author name, title and the ASIN of the book (which appears in the book's URL at Amazon).
Jim Chaseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
When there is an applicable update, and one misses the related email, it will be listed as such in one's digital library under Mange Your Kindle. I recently discovered two myself.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
updating ebook version

I think I remember in another thread that an email notice only gets sent out to previous purchasers IF the author requests it at the time the new version is uploaded, which seems to jive with Jim's experience as an author.. In any case, I don't seem to have received that email, nor does it show up in Manage My Kindle. I also don't know how long it takes Amazon to make the new version available after submission by the author.
I may have to follow Jim's advice and request the new version.
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm pretty new at this, and this is the first time I've had to deal with this problem. I know there was a part of a long thread that dealt with this, thought I'd bookmarked it, but.....
Thanks,
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Seems to me that one could simply delete it from one's Kindle/K4PC/K4whatever, and then re-download it. I'd probably throw in a reboot in the process, just to be sure any cache was cleared, but you should get the current (ie, new) version of the book when you re-download it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Seems to me that one could simply delete it from one's Kindle/K4PC/K4whatever, and then re-download it. I'd probably throw in a reboot in the process, just to be sure any cache was cleared, but you should get the current (ie, new) version of the book when you re-download it.
You don't, you just get the old version.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
In my experience it's really inconsistent. Sometimes publishers will take down the old version and upload the new one with a new ASIN. Then the only way customers can get the new version is to request a refund so they can buy the new one. I think the publisher needs to take extra steps if they want to replace an existing version and have the buyers notified.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote