Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #136
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
After I heard of the T1 being hacked, I wanted to try one.
Went to the fnac near where I live which has all three colours in stock (I called yesterday to be sure). Turns out that they are not available anymore, fnac is sending all their T1s back to Sony, too many returns since they launched them, and told me they think (hope ?) they will have them back by the End of November, but Sony could not tell them exactly when.
Bummer
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #137
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
After I heard of the T1 being hacked, I wanted to try one.
Went to the fnac near where I live which has all three colours in stock (I called yesterday to be sure). Turns out that they are not available anymore, fnac is sending all their T1s back to Sony, too many returns since they launched them, and told me they think (hope ?) they will have them back by the End of November, but Sony could not tell them exactly when.
Bummer
Pardon my ignorance- who/what is fnac, please?
Wonder if this is behind the delay of the UK Book store until Dec 1?
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #138
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Quite an overreaction in my opinion. Keep in mind 43% experienced no issues (me included), and most of these "problems" posts seem to be started by people who don't own one....which in turn makes the true issue seem inflated and much problematic than it probably is. Personally I think these complaints are making a mountain out of a molehill in the majority of cases...maybe I'm crazy but ill take a quick force close or reset that will likely be fixed and have library access via device, downloading from various sources straight from device and yada yada over a more stable (which the kobo isn't by the way) but less featured device.

And i don't consider paying twice the amount of money for a more stable reader "the good old days" either.
+1

My thoughts exactly!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #139
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
I'm glad I read this thread. I've been trying to decide between the Kobo Touch and this Sony model- looks like I'll be buying the Kobo now.
I don't mean to sound negative but I bought one of the first Sony TV's to incorporate a digital/freeview tuner. This was about 10 years ago when digital tv became available in my area. I had no end of trouble with it- the main fault being that the tuner kept on losing channels and had to be manually re-tuned 2 or 3 times a month. Sony kept on promising a firmware fix for this. After 18 months and no fix that actually worked I sold the tv and bought a Panasonic, which was trouble free. So I wouldn't hang out waiting for a solution to come from Sony any time soon
Apart from that they have as yet to open their UK store, I believe it has now gone back from October to Dec.

Looks like you haven't been reading the Kobo Touch threads.

And yeah, many of the 'problem' threads have been started by vxf who doesn't even own a T1 - so you might want to filter out all the trolls before you decide.

Which isn't to disbelieve the people who really have had problems, but I haven't and I use mine pretty heavily, and there certainly is someone here with some sort of interest in stirring things up.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #140
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Pardon my ignorance- who/what is fnac, please?
Wonder if this is behind the delay of the UK Book store until Dec 1?
Fnac is a french distributor, who is also present in Spain and distributing, among others, the T1 in Spain. Since there are no Sony Shop near me, Fnac is a place where I could have tried them and decided on which colour to take. I don't think it is the reason for a delay in the UK.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #141
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
When I voted in the poll, I hadn't had any crashes, but I've had three since then - all different. I've just sent an email to Sony - not that I think there's anything they can do immediately, but just in the hope that if they get enough support requests it will encourage them to release a firmware update.

Apart from the crashing itself, an additional irritation is that when it restarts, the reader returns you to the position you were at last time you opened the book. I'm starting to exit and return to the book at the end of every chapter so I won't have to hunt through too many pages if it happens again.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #142
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I suspect that there a quite a few false negatives in this poll since it can be some time before the issue might appear. And, once you've voted it can't be changed if you later have the issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #143
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Looks like you haven't been reading the Kobo Touch threads.

And yeah, many of the 'problem' threads have been started by vxf who doesn't even own a T1 - so you might want to filter out all the trolls before you decide.

Which isn't to disbelieve the people who really have had problems, but I haven't and I use mine pretty heavily, and there certainly is someone here with some sort of interest in stirring things up.
One thread. One single thread. So get off my case.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #144
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
One thread. One single thread. So get off my case.
v, Your anti-Sony postings have been flagrant and widely observed.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #145
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Look, I have opened one thread asking people how they feel about SONY's future in the ebook market - because I myself am wondering, honestly wondering, whether to try a different system. No trolling, fishing for flames or anything like that - although you seem to have perceived it that way. That's after two years of posting in this forum about SONY's devices and after buying four of their ebook readers.

If you are so obsessed with my posting, go check my posts. Count the number of times I told people to look into SONY's devices when they were looking for recommendations. Or the number of times I have explained to people why SONY is the better option if you want to read PDFs on an e-ink device.

This is the first and last time I take you seriously. I found your previous posts mildly amusing, but you are starting to get on my nerves. The reason is that you hypocritically accuse me of an anti-SONY bias (which I frankly don't have, if anything the contrary), while the only bias I see is your fanboy-attitude.

And that goes for Kate as well. Seriously, does not owning a T1 - which I have tried multiple times and decided not to buy - mean that I am not allowed to muse about SONY's future in the ebook market? I mean, I understand if I had posted a T1 review without owning one - but I did nothing of the sorts.

I have said what I think... and already dignified you with way more attention than you deserve, so I will leave it at this. I invite you to ignore my posts and threads, as I will do with yours - we can all live peacefully and you don't need to be annoyed by the fact that I don't keep telling you how smart you are for having chosen a SONY reader.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #146
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
By whom? I get tired of any forum members jumping on someone who has something negative to say. It happens in the Kindle forums a lot, but I was surprised at the reaction to vxf's thread. I thought his question was not meant to be inflammatory, but people like you jump on it as if he's committed some great wrong by questioning the fact that there is dissatisfaction over the T1's stability (and yes, I get it, some people don't have problems. and no, I don't have the T1 and I can't comment on whether it freezes or whether it's stable, but I don't like to discount other people's experiences just because I don't have a certain problem).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #147
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Pretty much what seajewel said. I read all posts in this forum and never perceived vxf to be overly negative at all. Sometimes people just read more into typed words on forums than was intended putting their own spin on the words, and it's often not what the original poster meant at all.

I don't own a T1, yet I've posted that I don't like it in several threads and was disappointed in it enough to purchase a 2nd 350 as my backup. The high gloss finish for me is unlivable (yes, I know I can put a skin on, I shouldn't have to cover up a brand new reader just to use it comfortably though), no place to put the stylus, curved bottom, and add to it all the problems people are having. Now I realize those items might not bother another person, but stating that they bother me and will keep me from buying a T1 when someone is asking for opinions doesn't make me a troll, nor vxf.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #148
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
My vote should increase from one freeze to two, although I would've thought the sample bias of people searching out this forum for help would far outweigh false negatives. I should also say I'm personally not bothered by those crashes, I'd happily switch the functionality and the price reduction for the device requiring 30 seconds fiddling putting it to sleep and waking it up every week. That's been my experience so far, anyway. The bezel is something you just get used to, like the flashing of the screen.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #149
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
By whom? I get tired of any forum members jumping on someone who has something negative to say. It happens in the Kindle forums a lot, but I was surprised at the reaction to vxf's thread. I thought his question was not meant to be inflammatory, but people like you jump on it as if he's committed some great wrong by questioning the fact that there is dissatisfaction over the T1's stability (and yes, I get it, some people don't have problems. and no, I don't have the T1 and I can't comment on whether it freezes or whether it's stable, but I don't like to discount other people's experiences just because I don't have a certain problem).

I agree. I don't see anything wrong with his posts, but some of the responses to his posts seem a bit extreme.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #150
vxf
Guru

Not to derail this thread any further - but many thanks to Seajewel, Ripplinger and Purple Lady.