Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Codetoad13
Codetoad13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Text To Speech Won't stay off

I have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and recently when I open a book the TTS starts. I tap on the book to bring up the control and turn it off. I think tap on the book to close the control panel and it start talking again. i have tried serveral books and this is the same. Turning TTS off does not help at all.

I called Amazon support and tried several trouble shooting options including return to factory state and none of this has worked.

Has anyone else see this or does anyone have any idea on what to try next?

Randy
Codetoad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Swipe down, go to Settings / Accessibility and then turn Screen Reader OFF. You must have turned it on by accident.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Codetoad13

No that was the first thing we tried. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
kindlehdx
kindlehdx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire HDX 8.9
I have the same problem, which Amazon cannot resolve, factory reset corrected it if for a week, but it came back. Did you manage to fix the issue?
kindlehdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
PeteThePete
PeteThePete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
I just got off of a lengthy phone call with Amazon. The guy had me try a hard reboot, checking Screen Reader (off and always has been), checking the Text-to-Speech setting (it was off, and has always been off), uninstalling and reinstalling the book, standing on my head while whistling Dixie. Nothing worked. He finally told me that "most of our customers are blind, so they like that feature." What the ???
PeteThePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Possible work around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteThePete View Post
I just got off of a lengthy phone call with Amazon. The guy had me try a hard reboot, checking Screen Reader (off and always has been), checking the Text-to-Speech setting (it was off, and has always been off), uninstalling and reinstalling the book, standing on my head while whistling Dixie. Nothing worked. He finally told me that "most of our customers are blind, so they like that feature." What the ???

On a page in the eBook turn the Text to Speech feature ON. Its possible you are misreading the On/Off setting or it was installed backwards.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Codetoad13

I found my problem. There is a interaction between the Last Pass app when it is turned on to work with applications in addition to web sites. I turned this off and the problem went away. I found this on the last pass forum

t's actually an Android bug with TalkBalk and third-party accessibility services. This previously only happened on Samsung devices, and they fixed in recent OS updates, but it now appears that Kindle Fire HDX has the same bug. You can work around it by disabling the LastPass accessibility service, which provides the app fill functionality.

https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140645