Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Strange image conversion problem ePub to mobi

Good afternoon all

- The background to this posting is that I have made an ePub book, and know that the XHTML and CSS validate to W3C standards and that the ebook itself validates with ePubCheck.
- The ebook contains several images, two of them black text on white background which show without problem in the original ePub version on my Sony reader, with ADE, and with the calibre viewer.
- But after converting the ebook to mobi with calibre the two images do not show in the mobi version when it is viewed on a Kindle, with the Kindle Previewer, or with the calibre viewer. There is nothing to show that an image is there at all.
- When I converted the ebook to mobi with earlier versions of calibre the two images did show on the Kindle, but I had no need to test them on with the Kindle Previewer or the calibre viewer.
- When I generate the mobi version by opening the ePub version with the Kindle Previewer the images do show on the resultant mobi version. There are other problems, but the images show as expected.
- I have attached the two images.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

I'll see if I can get the publisher's permission to upload the complete ebook if that would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signature.png
Views:	257
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	74638   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPblurb.png
Views:	253
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	74639  
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to open a bug report and attach the epub file. You can mark the report private if the work is copyrighted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kovid.

I'll try to get the owner's permission, and if unsuccessful will set up a dummy ebook containing the two images.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
It is curious that one of the images is a 24bit RGB PNG and the other, SPblurg.png, a 32bit PNG.

If you can't wait for a Calibre fix, I would suggest converting both to 24bit RGB JPEGs like these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signature.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	74665   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPblurb.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	74666  
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
It is curious that one of the images is a 24bit RGB PNG and the other, SPblurg.png, a 32bit PNG.

If you can't wait for a Calibre fix, I would suggest converting both to 24bit RGB JPEGs like these:
Thanks for your trouble, though I'm not sure why it should make a difference.

It's taken me some time to convert the ebook, and I have tested earlier versions with earlier versions of calibre and the same graphics without any problem. Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained, I'll try your graphics and see that fixes the problem.

I may have to wait anyway; I've tried to register the bug but as I've mentioned in another can't get through the Launchpad Captcha barrier.

Last edited by AlexBell; 07-22-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are unable to use Launchpad, create a test file and upload it here.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks, Kovid. I'll do that within the next few days.

I had another try at Launchpad last night using MSIE, and had exactly the same result - it refused to accept pairs of words I had selected for simplicity, and which I'm 99.8% sure I entered correctly.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Kovid. I'll do that within the next few days.

I had another try at Launchpad last night using MSIE, and had exactly the same result - it refused to accept pairs of words I had selected for simplicity, and which I'm 99.8% sure I entered correctly.
MSIE
That is probably the problem: Really! (I have heard reports that IE does not play well with LP (That's different. Usually I have to use IE for to use features of someones site. USFTC ) ).

Try Firefox or Safari
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try Firefox or Safari
His initial attempt/failure was using Firefox, although reading this thread I must have got that info from a different thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks again, Kovid. I've been away for a few days, but please find attached a version of the ePub ebook which I had the image conversion problem.

The only difference between the original file and the attached file is that I have replace the chapter text with dummy text. Everything else is the same.

The signature.image shows when I view the original ePub file but does not show when I view the file converted to mobi.

I've also attached the mobi version.
Attached Files
File Type: epub TFatITest.epub (847.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: mobi TFatITest - Katy Jones.mobi (267.4 KB, 174 views)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
His initial attempt/failure was using Firefox, although reading this thread I must have got that info from a different thread.
Yes, I carried on something dreadful in the main calibre forum.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm confused. I opened the MOBI file you attached in both the kindle previewer and the calibre ebook viewer and both those images were visible.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I'm confused. I opened the MOBI file you attached in both the kindle previewer and the calibre ebook viewer and both those images were visible.
I checked it on a Kindle 3 and saw no problems with the images. Both of the two in question displayed fine, both on their pages and when zoomed
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I agree with the other posters that tried your files. They seem to work perfectly. The images in question are viewable from the Kindle Previewer and from a Kindle 3. I'm not really sure what the problem is.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks for all your reports. I agree that it works on the Kindle; I'm embarrassed that I did not check it after removing the chapter text.

But I still have the original version with the chapter text in place where the signature does not show. I guess I'll have to put back the chapters one by one to see what happens.

Thanks again.