Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Will Kobo Touch open B&N ePub?

...or the older Kobo eReader, for that matter?

eReaders with a recent version of Adobe SDK should be able to open and read B&N ePub. I can do this on my Pocket eDGe for example and with Bluefire reader on iOS.

Can someone tell me if you're able to do that somehow? I'm thinking about getting a Kobo Touch but I have a few B&N books I'd like to take along.

Thanks!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
So far the Touch is only sold in Canada (that will change in a few days). As we cannot buy from B&N, there probably is not a whole lot of experience with it yet. The older readers could not, from what I have heard.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
While I don't have a Kobo reader, I have experimented with B&N books... my experience is that they refuse to open on a Sony reader because it's not a Nook. I know I can get books from the Kobo store to the Sony, using either ADE software or (my preference) the Kobo software, but B&N's DRM seems to be to only allow their own devices to open them.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
B&N books don''t open on the Sony because Sony hasn't updated the Adobe ADE, which B&N licensed to Adobe after the release of the Sonys.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is a different kind of Adobe DRM, but, from other things I have read, the readers that support the kind of Adobe DRM that Sony and Kobo use, could also recognize the B&N DRM. It's said that it would work if Kobo/Sony were to turn that feature on. I don't know how difficult/easy/possible it really is, but perhaps when US folks are trying the Touch out, we'll know more.

From what I understand, the B&N Adobe DRM is associated with a credit card number--vs Kobo which is associated with the email address used when opening an Adobe account. Whether this is a complication or not, is something that Kobo staff probably know.

Last edited by taming; 06-15-2011 at 12:04 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
B&N books don''t open on the Sony because Sony hasn't updated the Adobe ADE, which B&N licensed to Adobe after the release of the Sonys.
Those bastards!

In that case I'll cross my fingers and hope Sony gets around to it in the next couple of years or so. Sony = Good hardware, crappy software support.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is against Sony's best interest to support buying eBooks from B&N. So from a business standpoint, it's the correct thing for Sony to have done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is against Sony's best interest to support buying eBooks from B&N. So from a business standpoint, it's the correct thing for Sony to have done.
Not really. I reckon Sony makes their money from device purchases rather than ebook sales. In that regard, including support for B&N ebooks would make their devices more attractive to buyers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Not really. I reckon Sony makes their money from device purchases rather than ebook sales. In that regard, including support for B&N ebooks would make their devices more attractive to buyers.
Exactly. If they were serious about trying to make money off of ebook sales, they would lover their prices at least down to market average, instead of the much higher rates they're charging right now. Kobo's books are a lot more reasonably priced, and work on the Sony reader, so there's absolutely no reason for me to buy my ebooks from Sony.

I have a Sony PRS-950 because of the feature set and the large number of supported formats, because I wanted a reader that allows me to get my books from multiple online sources, DRM-free and/or indie. Not because of the Sony bookstore since, frankly, it sucks.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Note that Kobo will download a copy of all of your B&N-purchased books for you, and archive them as part of your Kobo library.

Correction - Kobo will down load a copy of your BORDERS-purchased books.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-16-2011 at 02:08 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
My Sony PRS-350 can not open a B&N book, but my Jetbook Lite can open B&N books.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Note that Kobo will download a copy of all of your B&N-purchased books for you, and archive them as part of your Kobo library...
Sounds like you are talking about Borders-purchased ebooks, not B&N. If you mean B&N, can you supply a reference?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #13
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Sounds like you are talking about Borders-purchased ebooks, not B&N.
Right you are - I confused the two.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Bumping this...still would like to know the answer.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
I'm not sure as I just read one of their preview files. But the process is easy. Nook for PC will sideload onto the Kobo touch just fine from My Library - ebooks or My Library - my stuff (sideloaded files into Nook PC desktop). I'm not quite willing to commit some cash to find for sure!
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote