Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #46
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01
The user guide does convert OK with COPY across the pages using PDFread. I would like to use RasterFarian too.
That's really surprising, as RasterFarian and PDFRead use the same underlying tools. I wasn't able to download the the PDF from the site you mentioned, could you attach it here so that alex_d can figure out why the problem occurred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grothendieck
While I'm here, is there anyway of automating the conversion (all on the same settings) of tens or hundreds of pdfs so I can leave it running overnight ? I have lots of short documents I want to do in one go, but once I queue more than say 10 it all goes haywire (not surprisingly).
You can use the batch script available for PDFRead, available from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
"Error in line 40, TOC destination is invalid."
Check the TOC entries in LRS, the destination objid should point to a TextBlock or ImageBlock.
I think the problem is that the PDF file has references to pages which don't exist. I encountered the same problem in PDFRead, in which case I simply ignore those TOC entries.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #47
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
The Camera User Guide That Is Giving Me Trouble

Attached is the Book that I have been unable to convert from PDF to Sonmy format using RasterFarian. Recall I only got the pages with the word COPY not the user guide text. Sorry you were unable to d/l it directly from camera company site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf camera user guide.pdf (3.37 MB, 2884 views)
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #48
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I found out that the enqueueing isn't working correctly. If you enqueue a 2nd task, the first task will complete, but the lrf-file will be gone. Probably because the temporarydirectory of both tasks are located in the same place, one will overwrite the other?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #49
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<double post>

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-01-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #50
athlonkmf
Guru

just found out, after 15 hours of encoding, that there is a limit of 9999 pages for a book when using rasterfarian. After that, it will spawn convertprocesses until your pc crumble
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #51
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
athlonkmf, sorry. it's one of those things where you go "eh.. i could use 5 digits... but i mean really, who's going to ever convert 10,000 page books?" That's how y2k happened.

but seriously, where did you get this pdf? and how do you expect to navigate to any particular page using the reader's interface?

next time i do a release i'll up the limit, but for now you can use something like CutePDF to cut up the file.

Also, the queueing is a bit flakey but it should never overwrite the old lrf file. Did you use the same name twice?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #52
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
athlonkmf, sorry. it's one of those things where you go "eh.. i could use 5 digits... but i mean really, who's going to ever convert 10,000 page books?" That's how y2k happened.

but seriously, where did you get this pdf? and how do you expect to navigate to any particular page using the reader's interface?

next time i do a release i'll up the limit, but for now you can use something like CutePDF to cut up the file.

Also, the queueing is a bit flakey but it should never overwrite the old lrf file. Did you use the same name twice?
I made the PDF myself, it's a manga-collection of 13 years of Detective Conan

But navigation won't be a problem, because the TOC is working fine with other collecttions. I just never had such a large file.
I've now generated the LRS-file myself to contain the 9999 files that are made, but lrs2lrf is still trying to parse it, it's been more than 10 hours now.... (and now looking for a faster alternative)

As for the queueing, i'm sure I haven't used the same name twice. But each time when I queue up tasks, the TOC of the 2nd task will be used in the 1st tasks. I think it's because of the doc_data.txt being overwritten.

Also... A very weird thing. On another computer where i've installed rasterfarian too, the rescaling is REALLY weird, it creates PNG-files over 1,5MB big and about 3500px resolution. I can't find out where the problem is. Could be that that computer has adobe installed...
Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #53
Laythstag
Laythstag began at the beginning.

Quote:
It seems another instance of RasterFarian has been called
but hasn't yet begun/enqueued its conversion!

RasterFarian can't continue until either:
a) You complete the "set up" phase and begin or enqueue the other conversion
b) The other instance is told to quit (you enter q at the prompt)
c) You decide to "force start"

This message will appear by mistake if you had closed RasterFarian forcefully
If this is what happened, choose "force start"

Resolve multiple instances conflict:
w) wait
f) force start (only if no instance of RasterFarian is "setting up")

(press RETURN for default option)
(Type q then RETURN to quit)
[w]:
I got this error when I started it. Then I did force start. After selecting the file to convert, I got this error:

Quote:
Please use the dialog box to specify an output file

'more' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

!!!!ERROR: Output file cannot be written to!

C:\on writing.lrf

Possible causes include:
+invalid filename
+the file is already open
+insufficient file system permissions

Press any key to continue . . .
Any Ideas on what to do?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #54
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

athlonkmf, you're starting to give some good reports. the TOC over-writing sounds like a bug. I've tried taking care that doc_data doesn't get overwritten but might have missed something.

PNG files are 3.5k pixels during intermediate stages of processing. are you saying that the final lrf is composed of those pngs and is hundreds of megs in size?

laythstag, looks like it's another one of those things where Windows is either mysteriously missing a file that it really ought to have or your PATH variable is incorrect. I'll just bundle the program more.com with RasterFarian and that will fix it.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #55
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
athlonkmf, you're starting to give some good reports. the TOC over-writing sounds like a bug. I've tried taking care that doc_data doesn't get overwritten but might have missed something.
Just tried it out again. And the doc_data is indeed overwritten.

Quote:
PNG files are 3.5k pixels during intermediate stages of processing. are you saying that the final lrf is composed of those pngs and is hundreds of megs in size?
Yes, for some reason, on the other computer, the final PNG and resulting LRF is composed of those 3.5k pixels png. While on my workstation, the final PNG is the correct size.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #56
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Thumbs up

thank you so much. this program is simply amazing.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #57
Warhammer
Warhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Question Zooming

It is an amazing program. I have a newbie question since I blazed through the program and did a conversion over-night of a pdf book:

When I zoom there is no word-wrap like there is with books purchased from the SOny store. So the last few words on the right get cut off when I zooom. I realize PDF is just an image and that it is zooming on the page rather than making the letters larger.

Is there a way to get it to word-wrap or make the margins tighter when converting so I can have larger text? As of now it is readable when I go to landscape mode and use a medium zoom.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #58
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
It is an amazing program. I have a newbie question since I blazed through the program and did a conversion over-night of a pdf book:

When I zoom there is no word-wrap like there is with books purchased from the SOny store. So the last few words on the right get cut off when I zooom. I realize PDF is just an image and that it is zooming on the page rather than making the letters larger.

Is there a way to get it to word-wrap or make the margins tighter when converting so I can have larger text? As of now it is readable when I go to landscape mode and use a medium zoom.

Thanks!

If you want wordwrap, then you should use bookdesigner. RasterFarian treats the pages as images, and does not change anything on textual level.
The margins can be set in the default-file (i think, haven't looked at at anymore)
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a free program called pdf2html that is on Sourceforge.net which supposedly does a pretty good job converting PDF. Give it a go. If it works for your needs, then you can take the HTML, tos it into book designer and have a nice LRF when you are done.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #60
athlonkmf
Guru

I've written a tutorial so you can use MSH_LRSPARSER to do the final conversion step instead of LRS2LRF. This is MUCH faster for large files.

http://hightech.afmag.net/converting...ser-combo.html

Just a FYI
Closed Thread