Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest checking out the Pocketbook forum first. Pocketbook are rather noted for their buggy firmware. I don't know how buggy or otherwise the 622 is, but people in that forum will know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
VicVega
VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok, just had a look at it at my local store and it totally sucks.
Instead of just zooming it keeps messing around. I'll stick with
my 350 for another two years. Then I'll give it the next try
VicVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
KindlePDFviewer does solve a lot of problems for Kindle 3. It also has a 10 percent angle turn which is good for reading in bed.

I admit the Sony TR1 cropping is not perfect, but u do not need it. I have found that if it does not work well u just exit and open the book with no crop eTc settings and just use fit to width auto setting which works, and it is permanently saved for the book.
Yes, that's what I've done. It's just annoying to see all the whitespace and not be able to trim it as you can in portrait.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicVega View Post
Is there any Third-Party-Software that can does?
As already stated, Duokan can do that and kindlepdfviewer will also be able, once they make it available for PW.

There are no buttons on PW, though, so unlike Sony Prs T1 you cannot choose between buttons and screen touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XCoRaSrrw

In the meantime you can relatively easily and quickly adjust your pdf beforehand by using k2pdfopt and other applications there for pdf cropping and fit-to-landscape printing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=4

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=34

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=198

Reading A4 pdf images (210 mm paper width) on 6" readers is not great experience, unless they are two or three column pdfs.

So, pdf cropping is good solution for smaller format pdfs only, let's say a 170 mm paper width and under.

For A4 pdf scans there is reflow in k2pdfopt (or kindlepdfviewer once available for PW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM

Last edited by markom; 12-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
VicVega
VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When exactly does he zoom in to whatever amount he likes to and then skips threw the every part of the PDF on that youtube-Vid?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, Vic, but it's really bugging me. The word is "through", not "threw". "Threw" only ever means the past tense of the verb "to throw".

As far as your question goes, the fact remains that NO device with a 6" screen is going to be good at displaying A4/Letter PDFs. It's just the wrong tool for the job. Get a 10" tablet - that's the right tool.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
When exactly does he zoom in to whatever amount he likes to and then skips threw the every part of the PDF on that youtube-Vid?
Trim function is not showed in the first video but should look similar to the edge cutting on the older duokan.

from 2:00 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpCDM5Ruc0

Should work both for portraite and landscape modes as with older Duokan, but I haven't got PW and can not confirm it 100%.

The same way we can crop(zoom) pdf or djvu within kindlepdfviewer in portraite and landscape modes, and there we also have available fit to page, fit width, fit hight and zooming by 10% increments.

Last edited by markom; 12-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
NOTHING beats the Adobe solution for Kindles as sold here for $ 20:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/s...121218164421:s

Once you get the Word document, just email it to your Kindle using the email address a the Amazon "Manage Your Kindle" page.

Adobe is the REAL expert on how to read their PDF's in Word format.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
VicVega

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, Vic, but it's really bugging me.
Absolutely nothing to be sorry about Harry.
I remember asking myself what's wrong with
that word whilst checking my text before posting.
So, thanks a lot for solving that.

As for the rest of your post, I am ignoring those
statements on purpose. I'm not interested in getting
into any PDF – Eink debate.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, I am ignoring those
statements on purpose. I'm not interested in getting
into any PDF – Eink debate.
It's really a matter of screen size, not whether it's eInk or LCD. A 9.7" eInk reader, such as the Pocketbook 922 or the Kindle DX makes a pretty good PDF reader. The key is the ability to be able to see a page without having to scroll. You are of course very welcome to ignore our advice - it's free, after all - but please bear in mind that many of us have been using these devices for a VERY long time, and know what they are and aren't good for.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-18-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
VicVega

PDF is a file format and in this context just one big variable since it can be anything. A4, letter etc, too since you can zoom in and out.

It's all about words per line, that's (almost) it.

So, the discussion you're starting in reality is the discussion "I know how many words per line pdfs usually have". And proving that statement right is a huge waste of time, trust me. And that's why I'm not getting into it.

But I can ensure you that I've been absolutely fine reading technical books as PDFs on my 5 inch Sony for a couple of years now. It's fine. Except of that prob that made me open this thread.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
So, the discussion you're starting in reality is the discussion "I know how many words per line pdfs usually have". And proving that statement right is a huge waste of time, trust me. And that's why I'm not getting into it.
I have to respectfully disagree with that. What you don't seem to understand is that PDF is not meant to jump through hoops. The purpose of PDF is simply a device independent representation of a design at its intended size including exact relative position of text and graphics. PDF as file-format can hardly be blamed for bad looks when viewed on an inapropiate output device (e.g. no color, wrong size, etc). Inapropiate meaning not by your standard, but by the designers standard. You are lucky to have features like margin-cropping or reflow of text in any PDF-viewer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #28
VicVega

I have absolutely no clue how that refers to my post or disagrees with anything I said but, except of the second sentence, you are absolutely right.