Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #106
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I live in the Massif Central.
That place is just ridiculously beautiful.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #107
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Grace, Are all of those on the Big Island?

I worked at Pohakuloa for three years, and never visited a beach once. "when we have time, that is..." is so true! :sigh:
All but one. The one that's not looks exactly like the beach I do visit, so I am pretending it's the correct beach. No pictures of that beach (it's a private beach). We don't go all that often, but at least we go when we can manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side of the hedge.........
This is my house, and my street, and I have a mill I can see from our house.
It's just: I can't stand the snow for long........always out on my bike..........
Gorgeous house and area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is the high rise condo I live in. Sure is purty, huh?

WAY bigger than my current house! And look at all those extra stories!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #108
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
No Beaumont Leys is the most Beautiful part of Leicester .... It's the other bits that are GRIM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yeah, well, keep in mind that none of us are showing pictures of the ugly parts of our cities!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #109
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Show off your country, state, province, county, city, town, or what have you...
Thanks for starting this thread. It's interesting seeing where people are from - lots of fabulous photos.

Quote:
I was in Limoges once, on my way through the Massif Central. Lovely.
Limoges is our closest international airport, about two hours drive via autoroute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
That place is just ridiculously beautiful.
My photos (Post #80) really don't do it justice.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #110
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I was born in the city of Puebla, known as the "Reliquary of America" because its colonial architecture. Its downtown was designated in 1987 as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Additionally, the city is known (at least in Mexico) as the birthplace of "rompope" (an eggnog-like liquor), a big producer of apple cider, and its cuisine.

Downtown at bird's view

Typical street in downtown

Alfeñique house (so called because the facade resembles an almond & sugar candy known as alfeñique)

Cathedral

Palafoxian library:

outside:

inside:

Santo Domingo church

Rosario chapel (inside Santo Domingo)

Last edited by Falcao; 01-08-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #111
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
That picture of the Rosario Chapel is amazing! It looks almost as thought it it covered in vine leaves or something? Incredible stonework.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #112
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Beautiful, just beautiful, Falcao!
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #113
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Beautiful, just beautiful, Falcao!
Thanks. I'm always amazed every time I walk in downtown. There are parts of the city where one feels like time-traveling to the 18th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
That picture of the Rosario Chapel is amazing! It looks almost as thought it it covered in vine leaves or something? Incredible stonework.
The Rosario chapel was built in 1690 to honor Our Lady of the Rosary. They say it is covered with gold sheets (not sure if this is the correct term in English). I found a very big picture of the inside here.

Another picture of the Rosario chapel

Other nice buildings:

City Hall

San Cristobal church

San Francisco church

Church of the Company [of Jesus]

Outside:

Inside:

Two fine churches outside the city

Church of the Virgin de los Remedios in Cholula

Church in the town of Chipilo

Last edited by Falcao; 01-08-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #114
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm not from here, but I visited once as a young man. It was one of the most unforgettable events of my life.

I only had a few hours, but I've always wanted to go back as spend a few weeks exploring the place. Does anyone know where this is?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cathedral.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	64400  
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #115
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
[QUOTE=wodin;1323809]I'm not from here, but I visited once as a young man. It was one of the most unforgettable events of my life.

I only had a few hours, but I've always wanted to go back as spend a few weeks exploring the place. Does anyone know where this is?

Thanks for posting! I hail from San Diego, California, but I've been living in this fair city for the past twenty years. Motorcars are no longer allowed on Avenida de la Constitución. Pedestrians, cyclists and our new street car have taken over.

Last edited by Ekdog; 01-09-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #116
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Churches and mountains. Of those there is plenty here,

Name:	Tradate.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	64454
also lakes.

Name:	Lecco.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	64455
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #117
Max
Connoisseur
Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad, DR1000s
From Sant Feliu de Guíxols in the north-east of Spain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant_Feliu_de_Gu%C3%ADxols

Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #118
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Que bonic!
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #119
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Que bonic!
ditto
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #120
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I live in a fairly remote, rural part of the Massif Central, in a tiny hamlet comprising just three occupied houses, at an altitude of about 570 metres (1,870 feet) above sea level.
I adore the mountains... If I could, I'd got there every holiday. Not France though, I've never liked France. I prefer Switzerland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Mean Very Mean .... Why can't I live somewhere even remotely like that,
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yeah, well, keep in mind that none of us are showing pictures of the ugly parts of our cities!
Who cares about cities anyway! The surrounding areas, those I'd move to any time...

Quote:
The grass is always greener on the other side of the hedge.........
This is my house, and my street, and I have a mill I can see from our house.
It's just: I can't stand the snow for long........always out on my bike..........

You're mean... Showing pictures of snow and then saying you don't care for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Thanks for posting! I hail from San Diego, California, but I've been living in this fair city for the past twenty years. Motorcars are no longer allowed on Avenida de la Constitución. Pedestrians, cyclists and our new street car have taken over.
I loved San Diego when I was there. I thought it a great city.

Oh, and remember how I love mountains, check the attachments for our view...

(nb, these pictures were taken during last winter, we've not had that much snow this winter yet and probably never will...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	East.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	64494   Click image for larger version

Name:	West.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	64495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backyard.jpg
Views:	181