Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Searching for sultry jazz music

Do you have any recommendations for sultry jazz music? In particular I'm searching for something that's similar to "What you feel" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's episode Once More With Feeling (the song itself isn't that great, but I like the style and I don't have any other examples at hand).
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hmmm... i know i can do better than this, but these are the first names i thought of... i'll try to think of more.

Chet Baker perhaps ?

shirley bassey ! like big spender for instance...

or maybe some miles davis.

john coltrane should be on every jazz playlist.

some etta james songs...

Della Reese

Summertime by Michael Bublé

also you can just let deezer propose more stuff until you find someone else you like. you can make your own playlist or listen to a smartradio.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pfff. how could i forget ella fitzgerald. she's pretty sultry sometimes.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel

Anita O'Day.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In Barcelona, our hotel had piped in elevator music in all the rooms. It was either "on" or "off," but there was no adjusting it for volume or content.

It was FANTASTIC! Slow smokey contemporary jazz in a language we didn't speak fluently, so we had to listen to the velvety texture of the music without thinking about the song.

Although it was odd to have this piped in music, we really enjoyed it. We have tried to find it again, but no luck so far. I almost wonder if it was in Catalan instead of Spanish, because we have sampled uncounted Spanish MP3's without finding anything remotely close to that haunting jazz.

Add to the list of things to do over the Thanksgiving weekend: See if there are any samples of Catalan music available.

If anyone can suggest a title or artist of smooth contemporary Spanish or Catalan jazz, I would appreciate it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

oh man. nina simone.

hmm... catalan jazz...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
nina simone, eva cassidy, billie holiday, helen Schneider

my x loved tim hardin, bobby darin, nat "king" cole, oscar peterson
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Look for a recording of Nancy Wilson singing "Some Cats Know". Or Topsy Chapman singing "Santa Baby".

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Look for a recording of Nancy Wilson singing "Some Cats Know". Or Topsy Chapman singing "Santa Baby".

Xenophon
oho, and now you've reminded me of Eartha Kitt !! how could i have forgotten her ???
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for all the recommendations so far, especially Zelda's

I instantly fell in love with Nina Simone's "Feeling Good", but I like most of the other interprets too. Not many male voices singing sultry jazz though, are there?
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations so far, especially Zelda's

I instantly fell in love with Nina Simone's "Feeling Good", but I like most of the other interprets too. Not many male voices singing sultry jazz though, are there?
glad you like the songs. i love music like that. those horns on "feelin good" just make me fall off my chair. in fact i'm listening to it right now.

i don't know too many men singing sultry jazz like that but there must be some... if i find any i'll let you know, and if you find any, you let me know.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
glad you like the songs. i love music like that. those horns on "feelin good" just make me fall off my chair. in fact i'm listening to it right now.

i don't know too many men singing sultry jazz like that but there must be some... if i find any i'll let you know, and if you find any, you let me know.
Harry Connick, Jr!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

hey look at that, an answer already.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
pfff. how could i forget ella fitzgerald. she's pretty sultry sometimes.
There's a CD called "The Intimate Ella" that is wonderful and I think would at least in part qualify ("Black Coffee," "Angel Eyes").

Also, Billie Holiday, "Songs for Distingue Lovers"

Some of Stan Getz's samba-style jazz

Diana Krall, "The Girl in the Next Room"
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

this version of feeling good is amazing. i love those bompity bomp horns. (wait until about 0:50)