Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #76
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Heh... I move that we pick/vote/whatever on the second book so I can start that one!

BOb
ANIMAL FARM!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #77
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
ANIMAL FARM!
I thought the category schedule called for a baen book for December. Or did we already pick Animal Farm. Or... are you saying that this thread is an Animal Farm?

BTW: I read that book quite a while ago.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #78
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Heh... I move that we pick/vote/whatever on the second book so I can start that one!

BOb
Actually, I am. Its the type of book you really have to pay attention to

I just thank God for Kindles built in dictionary.

Do yo know what a 'Maidan" or "Purlieus" is? I do!!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #79
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is anyone who is reading A Passage to India enjoying it?
BOb

_________
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Agreed. I have learn sahib and a few others I can't recall now. Maybe that means I didn't learn them.

Actually the only book I have used my dictionary with. I was actually surprised it had the words. Many were British slang/terms too.

BOb
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #81
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I thought the category schedule called for a baen book for December. Or did we already pick Animal Farm. Or... are you saying that this thread is an Animal Farm?

BTW: I read that book quite a while ago.

BOb
Oh yeah, i read it years ago. But I just love it.

And I didn't even bother to look at what we were supposed to choose.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #82
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh yeah, i read it years ago. But I just love it.

And I didn't even bother to look at what we were supposed to choose.
What... you just think you can pick up and read any book you want?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #83
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Agreed. I have learn sahib and a few others I can't recall now. Maybe that means I didn't learn them.

Actually the only book I have used my dictionary with. I was actually surprised it had the words. Many were British slang/terms too.

BOb
Try reading some Aldous Huxley. THAT'LL send you clicking!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #84
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
What... you just think you can pick up and read any book you want?
I do and I will!!! So there!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #85
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
BOb

_________
Yes - I did before I read the book, too

However, as I realise that sounds unbearably smug and more than a bit like showing off, the only reason I know them is purely down to the books that were in the house I grew up in - I lived an aunt and my nanna until I was about 11, and then visited regularly for several years after, and they were both book-a-holics and had no objections to me reading anything I could get my hands on, and explaining what I didn't know.

Somehow I never got hold of books like the Jackie Collins ones my aunt had... but that was at least partly to how she had arranged her books!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #86
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is anyone who is reading A Passage to India enjoying it?
It had it's moments, but as I mentioned elsewhere it had far more moments where I wanted to give either various characters (and I don't think any of the major characters escaped that) or the author a slap and tell them to snap out of it.

I'll wait til discussion week to say why, though
Old 11-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #87
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It had it's moments, but as I mentioned elsewhere it had far more moments where I wanted to give either various characters (and I don't think any of the major characters escaped that) or the author a slap and tell them to snap out of it.

I'll wait til discussion week to say why, though
Yes, but don't you have to remember the time frame and the way things were then? English were expected to act like that, and the same goes for women.
I love getting lost in another time period, and seeing things thru their eyes.

OH. Sorry. Early thread hijack!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #88
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Yes - I did before I read the book, too

However, as I realise that sounds unbearably smug and more than a bit like showing off, the only reason I know them is purely down to the books that were in the house I grew up in - I lived an aunt and my nanna until I was about 11, and then visited regularly for several years after, and they were both book-a-holics and had no objections to me reading anything I could get my hands on, and explaining what I didn't know.

Somehow I never got hold of books like the Jackie Collins ones my aunt had... but that was at least partly to how she had arranged her books!

Well, all I had were movie magazines laying around and some novels that I really didn't understand at the time.....
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #89
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Yes, but don't you have to remember the time frame and the way things were then? English were expected to act like that, and the same goes for women.
I love getting lost in another time period, and seeing things thru their eyes.

OH. Sorry. Early thread hijack!
It's not the period, it's the (over)exaggeration. I realise he was trying to make a point but I felt he overdid a lot of the time. There's one part, though, that was done to perfection - but I'm not sure if you're there yet...

I hate it when film and TV dramas "based on" period works decide to change some of the characters to make it more appealing to modern eyes.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #90
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Well, all I had were movie magazines laying around and some novels that I really didn't understand at the time.....
I had an odd upbringing Had I lived with my mum during those years, I wonder if I would have turned out to be such a voracious reader? She doesn't really "get" reading for pleasure...

Just remembered - I didn't even know there were such things as film and music magazines until I was in my teens!!