Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Today Amazon locked up the Android ecosystem

Interesting editorial.

Quote:
One day folks are going to realize they are doing all of their Android shopping at Amazon.

Today’s launch of cloud services is the next step in the Android takeover.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...ecosystem/1663
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Do you think Google will allow Amazon to become a "trusted" source of apps at some point?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...tore-security/

Quote:
Amazon’s new app store offers some killer deals and can make it easier for customers to purchase Android software. However, installing it reduces overall security for Android devices, some security experts say.

The root of the issue is the requirement to allow installations from “unknown sources,” in order to put Amazon’s Appstore app on an Android phone. Amazon instructs customers that this option must be enabled to install apps sold through the Amazon Appstore.

Selecting that option immediately puts Android customers at risk to malware that could come from sources that go unchecked by Google and the general Android community, said Charlie Miller, a security researcher well known for finding exploits on mobile devices.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Meh. It's kind of hard for me to take seriously any argument that uses conquer as a noun. And the argument is weak. Amazon doesn't want or need to push tablets to get people to buy from Amazon. What's to be gained? They're already accomplishing a lot just by pushing the various apps to every possible platform (including iOS and Android).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
From PC World:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22365...tion_baby.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon's push to claim the Android media market makes perfect sense because they're launching into a vacuum and future resistance is going to be minimal; no iTunes for android or even Zune any time soon.
Doesn't mean they have anything sewn up but they should make a nice chunk of change out of the move.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Uh, could it be? Sure does look a lot like
Spoiler:
*tunes for Android!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've been freely downloading apps from both Amazon and Google. For the most part, I pay little attention to which one I'm on at the moment.

But then, it really doesn't matter because I only download free apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've been freely downloading apps from both Amazon and Google. For the most part, I pay little attention to which one I'm on at the moment.

But then, it really doesn't matter because I only download free apps.
I doubt it's actually going to matter, in practical terms. For now, Amazon has a lot fewer apps than the regular Android Marketplace, but it's not like (AFAIK) Amazon isn't letting the Android Marketplace carry Amazon apps. I guess the cloud storage (specifically, the price) is kind of a big deal, but other than that, no.

What would be interesting is if Amazon released the cloud storage and cloud player apps on iOS. That might be a threat to iTunes (which is why I couldn't see Apple allowing the apps on the App Store).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't care about iTunes. Soon no one else will either.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I guess the cloud storage (specifically, the price) is kind of a big deal, but other than that, no.
This is one customer who won't be using their cloud service. I have no need for it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is one customer who won't be using their cloud service. I have no need for it.
I'm not fully behind cloud storage either. Loss of control and required data connection being two reasons.

The ability to access your shared data from multiple places though is intriguing.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm not fully behind cloud storage either. Loss of control and required data connection being two reasons.

The ability to access your shared data from multiple places though is intriguing.

There are several solutions for a "personal cloud" both in hardware and software (runs on your PC) and some (nearly all?) of them have Android clients.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
great service 5G free is pretty sweet. but the uploading times are extremely slow. My library has 200 more songs to go and still has well over an hour to go.

does this sound normal? I mean Media Monkey scanned my entire library in a flash.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There are several solutions for a "personal cloud" both in hardware and software (runs on your PC) and some (nearly all?) of them have Android clients.
Right, but again require connectivity or use or at least to sync up.

Still I think we are rapidly approaching the day when all our devices will be on line and communicating continuously and certainly at that point cloud or virtual cloud or personal cloud makes tons of sense.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
great service 5G free is pretty sweet. but the uploading times are extremely slow. My library has 200 more songs to go and still has well over an hour to go.

does this sound normal? I mean Media Monkey scanned my entire library in a flash.
They are probably being totally slammed at the moment.