Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
armandae
armandae began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
(more than a tad) OCD pseudo-librarian

When you mix a digital archivist project manager with 9.87 GIGS of inconsistently named and non-unified formatted fiction ebooks with a Sony Reader you get:

a) Something resembling a crack weasel
b) Sleep deprivation from too many nights <i>renaming</i> because the people who uploaded the books didn't believe in consistency
c) A very tired T3 and too many RSS torrent feets
d) All of the above

If you guessed D, you are correct! Absolutely correct!

Since I picked up a Sony PRS500 back in November, I've downloaded over 10 gigs (I've been sorting/removing duplicates/converting from .lit/.html etc) of fiction books and 120 Gigs of non-fiction (sorted by academic topic - thinking about shoving them all into the LCCN system if I could find a decent lookup system - and a nice way to convert the .djvu format for the Sony reader..)

I haven't started .lrf conversion yet, but looking for:
- a batch metadata eraser (to 'scrub' the files i've dl'ed, so I can at least sort by alpha filename)
- a .djvu converter
- <strike>a .pdf converter</strike> See there is one listed in the forums =D

Umberto Eco eat your heart out. ;p
armandae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Why would you need to download that many electronic books? Sounds like you're just asking to be a glutton for punishment.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
yeah! 11gigs... you're gonna be reading for quite a while

Besides... if you're planning to build an archive I would suggest against the BBeB (Sony Reader's native) format.
It's a dead format, it's gonna go away.
Just convert that one or two books that you're willing to read and don't worry about the rest.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
armandae

*chuckle* Because I'm going to be offline for a year or three I don't know where my reading interests will take me in that time. (I'm going on a trans siberian trip, china, se asia, japan and then off to a soto zen buddhist monastery for who knows how long to study martial arts)

The abbot okayed the reader and my iPod so I'm stocking up ;p
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, and here I thought it was just an OCD thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Heh, do they have juice for you to charge them?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Have you read American Shaolin yet? It's about a kid who moved to China for a while to study Kung Fu in its country of origin. Quite an interesting/fun read, though it details events from a few years back. Also, since you're going to stop into Japan, there's another book titled Angry White Pajamas about an Englishman who studied Akido in Japan and some of his adventures. He was a little scrawny guy, I guess the other author was too, but they're both worth the read.

Good luck on your endeavors!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Armandae,

Welcome to MobileRead.

May I offer you a word of friendly advice?

This is a "legit" site - we don't "do" theft here, nor to we support those who do. Coming in here and bragging about how many GB of illegal material you've stolen isn't going to make you any friends, and you'll piss a lot of people off if you continue to do so; most of us here don't think there's anything at all "cool" about stealing e-Books. A word to the wise - keep such things to yourself. You could summarise our policy as "don't ask, don't tell".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
armandae

As to charging - yeah, they are a completely green operation. They use solar panels, grow 95% of their food, compost, etc etc. Kinda neat I work in an environmental office, and specifically on green projects.

Harry - Less are non-legit than you might think. I have academic licenses for a number of sites, so the nonfic is largely from ACM - I believe their policy states for personal usage. Some I have ganked via torrents, but when I was looking through the folders - not the majority. Most of it is articles leftover from thesis research.

As to the non-legit material, I will keep this in mind in the future. I did not consider it 'bragging' more a matter of my own frustration with file structures and context dependencies for naming. I've been fighting with format issues for the past few weeks in preparation for leaving. And hoping that someone could point me to an equivalent of 'tag&rename' mp3 rename/metadata editor, but for document files. I handle the various document protocols and the control plan for my organization, so that would be useful for even professional purposes ;p
Old 07-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
armandae

Azayzel: Will look up! Thanks I recently read 'Japanland' and that was interesting. Gaijin woman/reporter learning the nuances of japanese culture, specif wrt a woman's place within it. *chuckle* I entertained the notion of working there for awhile, but between being v gaijin and tattooed - prolly wouldn't have worked out.

Thanks for the rec!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Unfortunately there is no "one standard" for eBook metadata like there is ID3 tags for audio files. If there is one day I'm sure we'll have similar mass-edit programs like those available for MP3s.