Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
Can hacked books be backed up to ur amazon account?

1. Can you backup all your books on amazon.com, or just redownload the ones that you've purchased from there?

2. Even with a book you purchased from the, if it doesn't backup then i guess you loose all your highlighting when you redownload it, huh?
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasco View Post
1. Can you backup all your books on amazon.com, or just redownload the ones that you've purchased from there?

2. Even with a book you purchased from the, if it doesn't backup then i guess you loose all your highlighting when you redownload it, huh?
1. Currently you can't add any books to your media library.

2. Highlights and clippings are backed up too. But, only for purchased books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasco View Post

Your media library at Amazon only contains items purchased from Amazon. You can't upload anything to it.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is there a way to upload stuff to a webserver and be able to download it to the Kindle?

For example, I've been converting the books I bought from FW into Mobi so I can use them on the K2. Is there a way for me to maintain those in a library online somehow so I can access them with the Kindle whenever I want to? I know you can't do it through Amazon, but is there any other way yet?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is there a way to upload stuff to a webserver and be able to download it to the Kindle?
Yes. Have you used the Feedbooks.com or mobile read download guide? It is a document with links to all the ebooks. The doc is auto-genned each day and you can d/l a new version of it right from the guide.

There is no reason you can't do your own personal version of this.

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info BOb, I'll check it out.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I suggest you have a look at what MobileRead and FeedBooks do in this area.
I know that there are some guides for Kindle that allow you to download your books directly from the device.

Look at the 3rd and 4th sticky on the Kindle content section :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147

EDIT : oops, should have refreshed before posting.
Well, the link can be useful, I'm saved.

Last edited by Gaurnim; 02-23-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Thanks. The method Hadrien, and MR, use are nice but I'm not sure I need anything that complex or even how I'd implement it. For now I put a few books in a password protected folder on my server (a main folder with folders for each author). Hopefully I'll be able to go to it using the Kindle's browser & select files to download that way (we'll find out tomorrow unless someone wants to test it for me real quick today). If that doesn't work I'll look into something more complicated.

If someone wants to try it out for me today PM me for the URL & a temp username & password.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-23-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why not just back the books up on your pc? You can always move them to the Kindle using the USB cable.

You might have a problem with the username/password for the web server. I'm not sure if the browser is good with pop-up authentication stuff.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why not just back the books up on your pc? You can always move them to the Kindle using the USB cable.

You might have a problem with the username/password for the web server. I'm not sure if the browser is good with pop-up authentication stuff.
Oh, I have multiple backup copies. Since the wireless is there I thought it'd be cool to keep an online copy that could be accessed away from the computer too.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

[quote=AnemicOak;365212]Thanks. The method Hadrien, and MR, use are nice but I'm not sure I need anything that complex or even how I'd implement it.
[quote]

Right, I wasn't suggesting that. Just using it as a similar example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For now I put a few books in a password protected folder on my server (a main folder with folders for each author).

If someone wants to try it out for me today PM me for the URL & a temp username & password.
That should work. PM me I'll give it a whack.

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Thanks BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I just pushed everything Amazon had backed up to my new Kindle 2 and it contained noone of the Baen and Fictionwise content I've emailed to my original Kindle. I'm off to Fictionwise to push the button a few more times over there and also over at Baen.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
I just pushed everything Amazon had backed up to my new Kindle 2 and it contained noone of the Baen and Fictionwise content I've emailed to my original Kindle. I'm off to Fictionwise to push the button a few more times over there and also over at Baen.
Yep, that's the way it works. Emailing to your Kindle does NOT put that item into your media library. Which is quite a shame.

BOb