Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. This sort of thing happens with every single device Apple has released in the last several years. Invariably, within a short time of product launch, there will be some crippling issue that will crop up for a fairly large number of early adopters. Apple always and without fail initially denies there's a problem. After the evidence gets overwhelming and Apple's denials start to sound ridiculous, they then switch their story to say they've confirmed that a "very small" number of users have been affected by a simple issue that can be fixed by this or that procedure. Users continue to report a problem, and Apple remains quiet, acting like there isn't a real problem in the first place. A few months down the line, suddenly a software or firmware update is quietly released that solves whatever issue was affecting the device. This little act plays itself out with iMacs, Macbooks, iPhones, iPods, etc. It's gotten so predictable it's boring.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #32
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
And I think it's pathetic of Apple to deny any antenna problems at first and even criticizing anyone else, and then turning around 180 deg. with a "software problem".
That’s out of the question. I’m criticizing CR’s behaviour in first dismissing the problem (in the blog post that’s already been linked in this thread) and later turning around, saying the opposite. I am not saying that CR should keep quiet about it, at least they corrected their mistake, I just think their first comment about it (via their blog) puts them in a bad light. After all, their blog is an extension to their magazine and not some independent blog where they could claim whatever they wanted. It just feels like handing in your papers first and only then doing your homework.

Quote:
I won't comment on the second statement you made, no matter how easy it would be...
I see what you’re trying to do there. And it’s obvious you are totally missing the point, so I guess it’s better you didn’t respond ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is not the impression I have got from the technical blogs. But the problem will affect everybody if they are moving around and come to areas with bad signal. I assume phoning from a train will be a big problem.
The impression I have gotten from tech blogs: Jimmy Fallon has no dropped calls anymore in locations where he previously got dropped calls all the time. Josh Topolsky does not have any problems with the antenna of his iPhone 4 whatsoever. And I believe the whole discussion was started by the kids from Gizmodo.

I totally agree with everybody that this is indeed a problem that should be addressed by Apple ASAP. However, I just don’t think it is as important as some people make it to be.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well. if i can't make calls, or lose the calls i can make, it's sure important to me. don't really care if you can or can't make your calls, unless they are to me.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #34
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
That’s out of the question. I’m criticizing CR’s behaviour in first dismissing the problem (in the blog post that’s already been linked in this thread) and later turning around, saying the opposite. I am not saying that CR should keep quiet about it, at least they corrected their mistake, I just think their first comment about it (via their blog) puts them in a bad light. After all, their blog is an extension to their magazine and not some independent blog where they could claim whatever they wanted. It just feels like handing in your papers first and only then doing your homework.
They debunked the lies about a software problem. That's the point and that's the proven result.

An unfriendly Apple fanboy throwing fake arguments against it doesn't change the reality.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Err ... I never denied that!? I absolutely agree that the problems are due to a design error and that Apple doesn't react correctly. But that's rather old news, isn't it? What I have been criticizing here is CR’s earlier blog post which said the opposite. I just don't think they should make such assumptions prior to testing because, after all, people rely on their judgment and are influenced in their buying behaviour by their test results.

It's funny that I am being attacked now for criticizing a magazine just because it -- coincidentally -- criticized Apple before. My criticism has nothing to do with their comment on Apple but purely with their public statements. I guess thou shall not criticize Apple’s critics.

By the way, after being called an unfriendly fanboy (really original!), at least I would like to know which of my arguments are supposed to be fake.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
More important to me than Consumer Reports not recommending it, is I don't recommend it. There is enough independent evidence now that any informed person would stay away.... UNLESS they plan to use a case... which most people do anyway.....

The whole reason this is news is because it is Apple. When HP has a problem with a laptop their forums fill up with anger, and no one outside really knows or cares. I had a laptop a few years ago that had a slew of known issues, nothing was ever done about it, and no one outside of us forum whiners even knew or cared. Every company has plenty of issues with their electronic products, sometimes it gets fixed, and sometimes not. But with Apple's ability to sell more of a phone model in two days then even exist in most other phone models.... it's news. Add to that the fact there are blogs, raving lunatics and insecure forum hounds that LIVE for anything negative about Apple.

My advice: Don't buy an iPhone 4 unless you want it in a case.

My buying advice: Get an iPad, and an older iPhone or Android phone to tether
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #37
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i think it's more newsworthy because apple's denying there is even an issue when there clearly is. as for the case requirement, if it is required for normal function, apple should have included one. telling us to get a case or "hold differently" just to get the phone's basic function, making calls, to work is just insulting. apple, usually the masters of PR like no other company, seem to have expertly botched this one up from a PR standpoint. and hey, when you're on top, there is no where to go but down.

i have to agree with your buying advice. if i had to get something today it would be an ipad with 3g and a dumb phone, or a wifi ipad with an evo acting as a mifi (and a few spare batteries).
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
My advice: Don't buy an iPhone 4 unless you want it in a case.
Question: Who would be dumb enough to buy a £600 phone and not keep it in a case of some sort?

My advice would be to ignore the "naysayers" until you've actually had a chance to try the iPhone 4 for yourself. If there's a better portable device currently on the market, I don't know what it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Question: Who would be dumb enough to buy a £600 phone and not keep it in a case of some sort?

So how does that work exactly? I have a phone in my belt case. The phone rings. I take it out of my belt case. Then I take it out of another case?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So how does that work exactly? I have a phone in my belt case. The phone rings. I take it out of my belt case. Then I take it out of another case?

You're a braver man than me if you buy that expensive a phone without it being permanently in a case. Have you personally experienced problems with it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Have you personally experienced problems with it?
I'm not sure.

I don't have an iPhone. I got a call the other day, and the reception didn't seem that great, and then we got disconnected. Maybe they had an iPhone? Would that count as "personally experiencing problems"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #42
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
It's funny that I am being attacked now for criticizing a magazine just because it -- coincidentally -- criticized Apple before. My criticism has nothing to do with their comment on Apple but purely with their public statements. I guess thou shall not criticize Apple’s critics.
You don't seem to know the difference between a blog entry and a scientific review/test.

A blog or web log shows personal statements (e.g. opinions) were a scientific test has more credibility.

To write "STFU" only because a personal blog isn't your opinion is out of line. Seen inn that light there is no real arguments against Consumer Reports.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #43
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
But with Apple's ability to sell more of a phone model in two days then even exist in most other phone models.... it's news. Add to that the fact there are blogs, raving lunatics and insecure forum hounds that LIVE for anything negative about Apple.
If they are out of objective arguments every hardcore Apple freak gives one or two 'arguments':

- you all envy Apple (devices) because you don't own one or can't afford it
- there is a great conspiracy against Apple - it's so unfair (buhh)

Congratulation - you have just used the 'envy AND conspiracy' card

Last edited by joblack; 07-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #44
scottjl
Reader of Books

if the shoe fits..
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #45
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Another real world take on the antenna issue:
http://www.eddale.co/general/on-rece...test-conundrum
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, consumer reports, iphone, recommendation, signal