Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
E-Ink reader LIVE comparison?

Hi!

I had a little idea this morning...maybe you'll like it...

We have 3 different eink reading devices on the market right now. The iRex Iliad, the Sony Reader and the Hanlin V8 (alias the lbook). The Hanlin V2 is not really available yet as far as I know, so I won't include it right now.

We have the comparison matrix online to compare the devices, but it's a bit hard to do a real evaluation that way.

Now, here comes the idea...

There are several iRex Iliad devies in the US, there are lost of Sony Readers and maybe a few Hanlin devices as well...so maybe some of our readers in the US (or elsewhere) could meet somehwere and do an extended photo (and maybe video too) review of two or even all three of the devices in direct comparison.
I think the US is the most likely place for this to happen (because Sony is so vehemently not selling outside the US, at least officially), but of course I'll be just as happy to see something like this happening in any other country.

Maybe we have users here who actually own two of the devices, that would also be pretty cool...

Now, let me know what you think! Is this something you would like to see and do you know how we coul dmake it happen? Or maybe It already has happened and I missed it?
Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Just a photo with iLiad & Sony Reader next to each other would be cool.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Just a photo with iLiad & Sony Reader next to each other would be cool.
Ive seen a picture of the iLiad and the eReader (sony) in this forum somewhere;
I'm pretty sure that a member has both readers. I think the pic was posted in a Sony reader subforum;

Good luck searching for it
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Judems
Judems began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman/Palm z22
I haven't heard much about the durability of these e-ink devices. Is there any guess about how durable they are...I know they won't last forever but since they are so expensive, what can one expect? JB
Judems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, Judems, don't bang the screen up seems to be the only hard data we have on durability so far.

We've been trying to get a read on the longevity issue for a while, but not much luck. E-Ink seem to be the only folks who know, and they ain't sayin'.

My own guess is that it has to be long enough that they aren't afraid of getting sued when it fails.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Ive seen a picture of the iLiad and the eReader (sony) in this forum somewhere;
I'm pretty sure that a member has both readers. I think the pic was posted in a Sony reader subforum;

Good luck searching for it
You'd be surprised! I remember that pic very well also, and here's a link to it...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9462#post39462

Thanks to Paul Moews for the pics! That same "received reader" thread has two other pics from him for comparison, earlier in the thread. First page, I think.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I couldn't find it either, thanks, Bob!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Larry Z. posted next-to-each-other-pics here.
This helped a lot.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
The Sony reader looks like a toy next to the Iliad, but I could really CRY everytime I read the battery-life thread in the Sony subforum...

REALLY!!!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
chieh
chieh began at the beginning.

Talking A new arrival STAReBOOK

I would like to introduce a new e-ink ebook device to you.

The STAReBOOK’s STK-101 series has very small and exquisite size.

Its thickness is only 8mm, which equals 50 pages of traditional books and the weight is 176g, which is very convenient for carrying.

The screen is applied 6 inches e-INK panel.

This kind of e-INK technology successfully solves the problem of tiredness of eyes after the long-time reading.

Please refer to the following page,

www.stareread.com/en/reader.html
chieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieh
I would like to introduce a new e-ink ebook device to you.
You're about 6 weeks late on that introduction.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=starebook