Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
New eBooks are a hard buy

Old eBooks seem easy enough to get at a reasonable price, but hunting down new ones at a tolerable cost is proving to be a pain.

Case in point, my current goal: The Sable Quean by Brian Jacques.

The cheapest price is a $9.99US off Barnes & Noble... who can't sell it outside the states.

Next is Amazon.com at $11.99US... who would like to charge me an extra $2 for the wireless transfer I won't be using. (I don't even own a Kindle.) Transfer via computer? Not even listed as an option. Select Kindle for PC, which is basically the same as transfer via computer? Still charging $2 extra.

After that the price goes up, up, up. BooksonBoard wants $14.61US, and Fictionwise wants $23.99US!

I can get the hardcover for $18.81CDN lol.

And honestly, I'm not going to be convinced to buy the hardcover due to all this... I never buy hardcovers. Not just because of the price (though that's part of it - I can't afford to drop $18.81 per book), but because of the space they take up. I'll just end up waiting my turn for it at the local library and maybe (maybe) buy it much later when the prices aren't atrocious. How does any of this runaround benefit anyone at all?
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
The price that fictionwise charges is shocking! I wonder how many copies they manage to sell at that price.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
The price that fictionwise charges is shocking! I wonder how many copies they manage to sell at that price.
Probably not many, but most FWers know to wait for a sale.

FW always has a sale.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Next is Amazon.com at $11.99US... who would like to charge me an extra $2 for the wireless transfer I won't be using. (I don't even own a Kindle.) Transfer via computer? Not even listed as an option. Select Kindle for PC, which is basically the same as transfer via computer? Still charging $2 extra.
Yep, great moneyspinner isn't it. Typical contingency fee...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Probably not many, but most FWers know to wait for a sale.

FW always has a sale.

a permanent sale, it seems, any excuse for a sale is FW's policy !

pity about that damnable geographic whatsit !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
My Seattle Public Library has the eBook in ePub format. Perhaps you can ask your library to add it?

It is also in the London (UK) and Gold Coast (AUS) eBook collections at this time via Overdrive.com
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Could just be an error (wouldn't be the first time). Sometimes you can email them about a price that looks unusual and they'll fix it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yes I think Fictionwise might have a pricing mistake on this one.
But yeah pricing is really bad at the moment, especially when you consider the prohibitive DRM on the e-books and the fact you can lend that hardcorver to 10 friends so they all enjoy it too, THEN you can go and sell it and re-coup 50% of the new price.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Indeed. As far as my local library goes, I think they're working on the eBook library thing, but they're not quite there yet. Actually the local branch has just started a major project -- completely relocating to a new, two-floor building that they haven't actually started building yet! And they only just overhauled their web site as well. So I figure I have to forgive them a bit of lagging behind in the eBook front, they're clearly working hard at getting updated.

And yeah, FictionWise seems to be all about the sales. It's hard to find things that aren't on sale sometimes. I really like the store, but the price on this one was atrocious lol.

I've been in queue at the library for this book (physical version) for a while, I figure at this point I'll just keep waiting.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Checking MobiPocket and Amazon, FictionWise has the correct price as set by the publisher.

If you want to complain about price, complain to those responsible. The publishers!
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
grabit
grabit began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story, iPod Touch
think you have troubles.. try buying it in Australia. first online bookshop i tried didn't even have it, Borders online has the hard cover for $AU39.95. that's $37.07 Canadian. no digital copy available at all.
grabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Am I right in thinking that Fictionwise has an agency model (passing on whatever the publisher charges) but the other stores are still resellers? It would explain the price differences (though not ease the frustration)
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
Am I right in thinking that Fictionwise has an agency model (passing on whatever the publisher charges) but the other stores are still resellers? It would explain the price differences (though not ease the frustration)
Nope. Up until now Fictionwise has been a standard retailer. They just use sales and special promotions instead of a constant discount like most of the other stores.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote