Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, you're absolutely right Alex. I just tried Adobe Reader and now after less than a day I've chosen to restore from a backup before the install to make sure I get cleaned up properly. You know that feeling like you've polluted your pda?! Repligo "feels clean" but Adobe Reader "feels dirty." If you've used pdas for long enough, you probably know exactly what I mean, even though it's hard to explain.

BTW, even though I don't think I chose to install it, I got something called "Print Me" on my pda, with the Adobe for PalmOS install I assume. One more reason to restore from backup instead of just deleting the app. I really hate the way apps sneak extra files and apps onto your pda, and the cleanup is not always clean when you remove an app. It's my pda, and I don't want junk on there!

The DateBk5 document is also tough because of the screen shots in the middle of the page with text paragraphs tied to the screen shots by arrows. So even in RepliGo, it's hard to read. But that still worked better than Adobe Reader. Seems that the Adobe Reader has Copyright through 2003, so I don't know if the Palm version is even being actively developed anymore. It was not just s-l-o-w, but S-L-O-W!!!! Might still be okay as a free tool for someone that didn't want to pay $30 for RepliGo, but the whole experience is night and day. RepliGo was pleasant from the first time I touched it. Adobe made me uneasy from the first touch. RepliGo seems faster in the conversion step also.

For reading simple pdf files in which you don't need to see images, or deal with columns/tables, and which you are just reading front to back, maybe free Adobe Reader is okay. But I think RepliGo is definitely a better way to go, just as you say, plus you can use it with any document you can print. Haven't tried it with other docs, but as long as it still lets you reflow, I'm sure it will be fine.

One advantage of Adobe Reader for PalmOS... seems you can read documents that have DRM. Of course if you're allowed to print them, you can convert to RepliGo, but some are restricted. Then again, I'd try to avoid that type of restrictive DRM with PDF files in the first place. Like all DRM'd material, you don't really own it anymore, it's more like you just get to borrow it till the device or the technology changes.

And as for the perfect pdf reader, I suppose we're still looking. We're probably talking about something like the full desktop version running on a handheld or tablet rather than a Palm or PPC PDA. For now we just have to make do. But as mobile enthusiasts, we're used to doing that sort of thing, anyway, until the technology catches up and makes it easy for everyone!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #17
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Angry Picsel Proviewer does not fully support PDF

[QUOTE=BobR][*]Picsel File Viewer
Wasn't there something called Picsel File Viewer that could read pdf after a conversion step?

Beware of Picsel Proviewer! The vendor does, in fact, claim to support PDF files and several other types. What they don't mention on their website or in their documentation is that the critical Reflow function (ala Repligo) that would make this product useful for ebook reading only supports MS Word! I only found out the truth after I purchased the product (because they don't offer a downloadable full function demo). I have asked them for a refund, but they are refusing on the grounds that their online demo shows a Word document being reflowed!

Last edited by frquixote; 03-14-2006 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add reference to Repligo
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2006, 03:50 AM   #18
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Just to tack onto this thread for if someone else comes across it...

PalmPDF is probably the best free solution for PDF viewing on a Palm.

Also look at this newer thread on Palm PDF viewers.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote