Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #34951
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Care to elaborate...?
love/infatuation makes people stupid the short version is: i like a guy who likes me back, but it's complicated because it's online and he has a long-time girlfriend who may or may not be mentally unstable and has allowed him to have relations with other women.

edit: to those who read my rant on it last week, yes, this is the same guy. we're sort of friends now. sort of.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #34952
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Ah, okay. Just be careful with online relationships. But I'm sure you know that .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #34953
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ah, okay. Just be careful with online relationships. But I'm sure you know that .
yeah, thanks
i guess i'm sort of resorting to online because i'm not really allowed to date (I pity the poor schmuck I bring home to mom and dad).
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #34954
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...Right now I am girding my loins for bed.
Quote:

I'm sure you get the gist, but girding your loins according to Wikipedia means:

"The term "gird one's loins" was used in the Roman Era meaning to pull up and tie one's lower garments between one's legs to increase one's mobility in battle. In the modern age, it has become an idiom meaning to prepare oneself for the worst."

So I guess Stitchy was right . Although these days it tends to be used colloquially just to say that you are getting ready to go/leave.
It's also a phrase frequently encountered in the King James Bible.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #34955
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just came in from putting the trash on the curb, but it was worth it just for the warm welcome home I received from the dogs upon re-entering the house.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #34956
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's also a phrase frequently encountered in the King James Bible.
Did he have a difficult wife too?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #34957
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

King James had an arranged marriage, as it was deemed fitting and proper for a monarch to have a wife, but from his youth he never seemed to be attracted to women.

Borderline P&R alert:
Spoiler:
Rumors he was homosexual have persisted to this day, which is ironic since the Bible translation he commissioned remains a favorite with modern anti-gay fundamentalists.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #34958
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you can climb inside one of the pyramids then do it. It was amazing seeing what the stone looked like and how they were joined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's hard to imagine that when they were new, they were all covered with smooth marble that has long since been carried off. There are so many pyramids that didn't survive their own engineering and collapsed in on themselves too, now buried deeply under the sands. We missed out seeing a lot of amazing sights simply because we were born too late...

Stitchawl
Since I visited the museum of antiquities as a child http://www.rmo.nl/english/ I wanted to go to Egypt, and I"ll try to take a peek at the inside. It seems incredible that men made these things.
And I wonder how tall those pyramids and the statues at the Abu Simbel temples are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Simbel_temples
Also, I will be spending some days in Caïro and have heard that their attitude against women is somewhat agressive. As I will be going alone, I will have to stay with my group there, I suppose. We'll see.
And what about the food......I remember ' starving' in Iran on soup and salad, and losing 7 kilo's.
Exciting all.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #34959
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Abu Simbal is awesome. Try and go on the second flight instead of the first. There are a lot fewer people on that second flight. At least, that is what we found. 3/4 of our group went on the first flight. A bunch of us had confirmed for the trip and been told it was cancelled, so they got us on the second flight. Comparing the two trips, ours was a lot better.

I am going to guess that tourism is down enough that you will have many of the temples to yourself.

I don't think you will be allowed to go off on your own. At least, we were not. We even had to take a guard with us when we went to the Hard Rock in Cairo. There are rules on how many foreigners are allowed on buses, to prevent the bus from being targetted, and in public places. We were accompanied by a guard with a poorly hidden automatic rifle at all times. After a terrorist attack in the region, our bus was tailed by several cars filled with military and we had more guards on the bus.

With all that is happening now and an overall desire to avoid bad PR in the West, I will be very surprised if you are allowed to wander on your own.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 11-14-2012 at 10:10 AM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #34960
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Abu Simbal is awesome. Try and go on the second flight instead of the first. There are a lot fewer people on that second flight. .....
I am going to guess that tourism is down enough that you will have many of the temples to yourself.

I don't think you will be allowed to go off on your own. .........

With all that is happening now and an overall desire to avoid bad PR in the West, I will be very surprised if you are allowed to wander on your own.
Thanks.
Yes, I know I have to be careful, as women, also Egyptian, are harassed in Caïro. I will take care when touring the bazaars.
Tourism is down now, but I wanted to go for a long time and was a bit shocked when the archeological museum in Caïro was looted last year, without my having seen it previously.

Well, I will be fine, I think. I survived Central Asia this year, with the many infamous border crossings and the Torugart pass. http://www.advantour.com/kyrgyzstan/torugart-pass.htm
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #34961
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I went to the museum but didn't see anything. It was far too crowded. I think that the Egyptians are missing the mark in how they handle tourism. They could easy quadrople the entrance price to Temples and Museums (they were seriously cheap) and limit the number of people. They would make more money and people would have a better experience.

I left the Egyptian Museum after about 45 minutes because you couldn't see much due to the number of folks. I bought a book about the collection in the book store and hung out on the lawn outside looking at that. It was far easier to see and a great deal more informative.

I know you will be fine. I was never harrassed but I always went out with a guard. We did notice that the security for our American tourist group was a greatly more extensive than the Aussies and Europeans who were there. We were the only bus that ended up with a chase car, for example.

The bazaar was great. We had fun wandering but stuck with the group. On our one free day, we decided to join our tour guide who put together a tour of Coptic Cairo instead of going on our own. It was a great experience and we got to see a part of Egypt that not everyone does.

Are you doing the cruise down the Nile? That was wonderful. We stopped at 2-3 temples a day. I was in heaven.

Bring your own tea though, they only served Lipton. (sigh)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #34962
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
......... tour guide who put together a tour of Coptic Cairo instead of going on our own. It was a great experience and we got to see a part of Egypt that not everyone does.
........Are you doing the cruise down the Nile? That was wonderful. We stopped at 2-3 temples a day. I was in heaven.
.....Bring your own tea though, they only served Lipton. (sigh)
Yes, the Coptic Cairo is on my list. And I need another lamp, so; bring on those bazaars!

We'll take a small cruise, but not all the way, I think.
In Iran I had Ahmad tea which tasted great; perhaps I can find some over there.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #34963
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Have a great time, desertblues! Will you write something on your blog?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #34964
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
. And I need another lamp, so; bring on those bazaars!
If you can find one with a Genie inside, get one for me too! And a flying carpet, but only if it has Cruise Control. (I understand that these can be a real pain without it.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #34965
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If you can find one with a Genie inside, get one for me too! And a flying carpet, but only if it has Cruise Control. (I understand that these can be a real pain without it.)

Stitchawl
I'd take one if it merely had Tom Cruise .....

No, wait ..... I'd actually prefer Robert Redford. Then, not now.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?