Kindle for iOS 4.3 released

Kindle for iOS 4.3 has been released.
  • Can listen to Audible audio books in the app
  • Whispersyncs with Audible audio books
  • Other Audible implementations
  • Download an entire collection at once
  • X-Ray for textbooks
  • Various performance and stability enhancements

Last edited by jswinden; 06-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Very nice. Do you HAVE to have a matching Kindle book, or...?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure Jessica, I assume so. But I don't own any Audible audio books to test. I never got into audio books. For some reason whenever I try to listen to them I either get distracted and then 20 minutes later realize I have no idea what was read aloud for the past 20 minutes, or I fall asleep.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I played a bit with it a little bit. At initial glance, it doesn't pick up all my audible books and it seems oriented towards whispersync, i.e. it doesn't seem to pick up audible books that don't have matching ebooks (or at least I haven't been able to find them yet).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Audible title in question has to support 'Whispersync for Voice-Ready'. In many cases, that is not the case. For example Hillary Clinton's new book is available in ebook and audible formats, but doesn't support this. Same with Diana Gabaldon's new book. I don't know of cases where support was added later on, but that seems possible. However, again referencing Gabaldon's Outlander series, some of her audible titles support it and some do not, even a couple of years following the launch of 'Whispersync for voice'. So there may be licensing or technical issues that get in the way of having more complete coverage.

At this point you cannot use the Kindle app to listen to Audible books unless you also own the ebook (and again, unless the audible edition supports W4V). So you still need the Audible app. In theory I'd like to use one app instead of two but only if that could be done without slowing app launch significantly, and preserving features etc. I doubt there are plans to get rid of Audible app.

It is really inconvenient to 'upgrade' with the audiobook on iOS, given that Apple's policy prevents amazon from offering links to storefront (without in-app purchase and sharing revenue with Apple). Probably the easiest way is to go to the 'matchmaker' page with Safari:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/matchmaker

The Android Kindle app has this built in and when you are reading a book you can purchase directly.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-11-2014 at 11:43 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Bleh, alright. Will stick to just the Audible app then.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I assume the Audible options must be put in place by the publisher. That is how X-Ray works. A lot of people get pissed because X-Ray seems to be available in only a small number of books, but that is because the publisher has to knowingly add it and most seem to not want to do so. So count this super-hyped Audible stuff as merely another BS option Amazon has added but that we won't see much benefit from. In other words, business as usual at Amazon. Meh!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I assume the Audible options must be put in place by the publisher. That is how X-Ray works. A lot of people get pissed because X-Ray seems to be available in only a small number of books, but that is because the publisher has to knowingly add it and most seem to not want to do so. So count this super-hyped Audible stuff as merely another BS option Amazon has added but that we won't see much benefit from. In other words, business as usual at Amazon. Meh!
It is up to the publisher (the audiobook publisher), but the availability keeps growing and there are already over 45,000 titles at Audible that support WS4V. I'm don't really switch back and forth between audio & text, but have gotten a lot of great deals thanks to WS4V. For someone who doesn't do audiobooks, no, you won't see much benefit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It is up to the publisher (the audiobook publisher), but the availability keeps growing and there are already over 45,000 titles at Audible that support WS4V.
But only for people in the US. It's not available for the other 95% of us .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But only for people in the US. It's not available for the other 95% of us .
Technically, it's only for those who buy through the amazon.com website. I'm in Canada and I can buy matching Whispersync for Voice audiobooks. This is the main reason I never switched to the .ca portal to purchase ebooks.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It is up to the publisher (the audiobook publisher), but the availability keeps growing and there are already over 45,000 titles at Audible that support WS4V. I'm don't really switch back and forth between audio & text, but have gotten a lot of great deals thanks to WS4V. For someone who doesn't do audiobooks, no, you won't see much benefit.
I haven't been switching back and forth either and only bought both the ebook and audiobook to get the audiobook cheaply. However, now that both are linked in the app and immersion reading is a option, I might try both reading and listening to the same book, or switching back and forth on my iPhone and iPad mini.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I haven't been switching back and forth either and only bought both the ebook and audiobook to get the audiobook cheaply. However, now that both are linked in the app and immersion reading is a option, I might try both reading and listening to the same book, or switching back and forth on my iPhone and iPad mini.
I've been switching back and forth between the audiobook and ebook on my iphone. With the update now immersion reading is possible on IOS devices. At first I thought that the update wasn't working since I had already downloaded the audio via the audiblle app and audio didn't start when I opened my ebook. To get immersion reading to work the audio has to be downloaded again within the kindle app.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote