Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Hmmm....I've updated my iPad2, iPad mini, and iPhone 5. The Kobo app on the iPhone crashed twice today when I tried to download a couple of books. Last night, I had both iPads charging and on Wifi. They normally would have automatically backed up, but this morning I saw messages on both that my iCloud password was required. I've never come across that before, but I see that this has been a problem for some Apple users in the past. It doesn't seem related to this update, as it has been going on in previous software versions, but this is a new thing for me. I backed up both manually this morning. I'll see if it happens again. I've found various solutions for this, the simplest one being to turn the device off and then back on.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm impressed with the update so far as Safari is much more stable, the pages don't reload so much.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Hmmm....I've updated my iPad2, iPad mini, and iPhone 5. The Kobo app on the iPhone crashed twice today when I tried to download a couple of books. Last night, I had both iPads charging and on Wifi. They normally would have automatically backed up, but this morning I saw messages on both that my iCloud password was required. I've never come across that before, but I see that this has been a problem for some Apple users in the past. It doesn't seem related to this update, as it has been going on in previous software versions, but this is a new thing for me. I backed up both manually this morning. I'll see if it happens again. I've found various solutions for this, the simplest one being to turn the device off and then back on.
If you back up via iTunes, the first time you connect via USB cable to iTunes you will be asked to trust your computer as an iTunes connection point which requires you to click yes on the computer and within the iThingie. Perhaps this and the iCloud PW thing are related to the update as I've never had to re-trust a computer after an update prior to 7.1.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #34
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I wonder if it will improve the safari crashes and the 'at least once a week total freeze and crash back to the apple logo' on my ipad air.
7.1 hasn't improved the crashing on mine, unfortunately. I still get loads of crashes. Multiple times a day. So frustrating. It's been a huge issue for many Air users as seen here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5532206?tstart=0

I know a lot of people think it's due to the Air not having enough RAM, but I personally don't think that is the case. I think it's more likely a software issue. My next step is going to be a clean install, I'm not going to restore from a backup this time. If that doesn't solve it, I'll have to go into the Apple store and see what they say.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
7.1 hasn't improved the crashing on mine, unfortunately. I still get loads of crashes. Multiple times a day. So frustrating. It's been a huge issue for many Air users as seen here:

I know a lot of people think it's due to the Air not having enough RAM, but I personally don't think that is the case. I think it's more likely a software issue. My next step is going to be a clean install, I'm not going to restore from a backup this time. If that doesn't solve it, I'll have to go into the Apple store and see what they say.
Both the Air and mini Retina have 1GB of RAM. The A7 is clocked at 1.4GHz on the Air and 1.3GHz on the mini Retina and iPhone 5S. I suspect there is some other issue rather than RAM size causing the Airs to crash. Perhaps it is some other hardware issue, maybe even a faulty component. The mini Retinas seem to be rock solid stable whereas the Airs crash a lot.
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #36
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Both the Air and mini Retina have 1GB of RAM. The A7 is clocked at 1.4GHz on the Air and 1.3GHz on the mini Retina and iPhone 5S. I suspect there is some other issue rather than RAM size causing the Airs to crash. Perhaps it is some other hardware issue, maybe even a faulty component. The mini Retinas seem to be rock solid stable whereas the Airs crash a lot.
I agree! I don't think it's a RAM issue either. I hate doing a wipe, which is why I was hoping 7.1 would solve the issue. Hopefully I can get it sorted.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My iPhone 4 is noticeable snappier. Good job Apple!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #38
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

I've got certain apps crashing but so far (24 hours) I haven't had a freaze or home screen crash.

Saying that of course it will happen now
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #39
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
If you back up via iTunes, the first time you connect via USB cable to iTunes you will be asked to trust your computer as an iTunes connection point which requires you to click yes on the computer and within the iThingie. Perhaps this and the iCloud PW thing are related to the update as I've never had to re-trust a computer after an update prior to 7.1.
I haven't been using iTunes on my computers and I don't really want to. I've only got iTunes installed on one, a Netbook, and it's pretty slow there so I would just rather not use it. My computers all run Windows. I just do the backups over wifi. Anyway, hopefully this is just a one time thing.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I haven't been using iTunes on my computers and I don't really want to. I've only got iTunes installed on one, a Netbook, and it's pretty slow there so I would just rather not use it. My computers all run Windows. I just do the backups over wifi. Anyway, hopefully this is just a one time thing.
Yes, I believe this is a one time thing, either for iTunes or iCloud. It seems to be increased security which is not a bad thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
My point was that whether you back up by iCloud or by iTunes, there was a one time extra security step to take.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #42
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My point was that whether you back up by iCloud or by iTunes, there was a one time extra security step to take.
I did my iPad by iTunes, and my iPhone over wifi, I did only have to do the extra step on my iPad on iTunes. The wifi upload for my iPhone was much faster too.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
...The mini Retinas seem to be rock solid stable whereas the Airs crash a lot.
My iPad mini Retina 128GB WiFi+3G did crash a lot. About twice per day in the 10 days I've had it.
I've sent it in for replacement, just to be safe.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I did my iPad by iTunes, and my iPhone over wifi, I did only have to do the extra step on my iPad on iTunes. The wifi upload for my iPhone was much faster too.
Have you connected your iPhone via cable to iTunes yet? If not, that is why you haven't been asked to allow the computer yet. The first time you connect via cable you will have to "allow" the computer to be used with the iPhone.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Have you connected your iPhone via cable to iTunes yet? If not, that is why you haven't been asked to allow the computer yet. The first time you connect via cable you will have to "allow" the computer to be used with the iPhone.
No I haven't. Thanks for the heads up, I'll do it tonight so it's done and dusted.