Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #226
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I had really hoped that these wouldn't have any geo-restrictions on them. Anyone in the US figured out a way to buy the UK versions?
Not yet but I'll probably look into VPN or proxies when I get home. Also need to figure out how to handle payment (assuming they see a UK IP address, do they also need a UK billing address?).

Nvm. Saw a post with instructions a little ways down.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #227
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasgo View Post
Tuques, or as I more commonly see it up here, Toques, are a term for knitted wool (or now synthetic) hats. It's a very large category and refers to almost everything you would see on a mountain while skiing or snowboarding, other than a helmet.
Born/raised Canadian, I grew up with the spelling being toque, with the pronunciation rhyming with "fluke". Most classic toques are knit either plain stockinette in the round or ribbed stitch (knit 2 purl 2), and some have a pompom on.

I've also knit now for nearly 40 years. I still knit toques of real wool, but do acrylic from time to time when giving as gifts. I have friends who prefer the real warm insulation of wool and if they are sensitive they wear it as a top layer (2 toques) in days where its -20 windchill.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #228
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I fail to see why any one would pirate the just released versions. The pirated versions that already exist are excellent. Why risk it?
There's no risk if anyone wanted to. Take two copies of the newly released version, do a byte by byte comparison. Where differences exist, omit as possible watermarking.

Pirates are really good at this stuff, and don't do it out of pragmatism, they do it out of an unfortunate sense of pride.
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #229
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Pirates are really good at this stuff, and don't do it out of pragmatism, they do it out of an unfortunate sense of pride.
Case in point

Quote:
Further convincing Iwinski of the futility of DRM is the fact that pirates ignored the GOG version of The Witcher 2, which was DRM-free at launch, and went after the SecuROM-protected retail release instead
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #230
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
WOW so it is all an ego trip.

I guess that should not surprise me but for some reason, it does.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #231
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you British, Joe? I'm astounded that you've never heard of bobble hats if you are.
Isn't a bobble hat what the bobble heads wear?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #232
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is a beanie

Now that you remind me. I have to say that the Pope is JEWISH. He does wear a yamaka which is a Jewish item of clothing.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #233
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Could be...
Not could be... IS!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #234
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
WOW so it is all an ego trip.

I guess that should not surprise me but for some reason, it does.
It's been an ego trip issue since piracy began. Back in the early 90s, some groups would even replace company logos with the logo of the piracy group in actual game releases.

Others would include launchers that display their own 'credit's prior to the game starting. They'd even write their own graphic routines and music for the 'credits'.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #235
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm curious as to when you think piracy began. The use of the term "piracy" to describe the unauthorised copying of books, dates back over 400 years. See, for example, the complaints about piracy in the introduction to Thomas Dekker's book "The Wonderfull Yeare", published in 1603. His pirates appear to have been motivated solely by greed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #236
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

In general I agree, but ..

That assumes any and all differences between the two files are related to watermarking. It would be easy to change enough different things to make simply dropping all differences not doable. Repackage text from the end of one file to the beginning of the next, constantly changing the characters used to generate whitespace (and in unicode there are a large number of different whitespace characters) change used and unused glyphs in fonts, make every image unique, etc. Effectively you are hiding the real watermark changes in a forest of other small meaningless changes. If you dropped everything that was different based on a byte for byte comparison you would be left with a mess that is effectively unreadable without hand work to clean it up. Whitespace in text cleanup might be automated but which version of which image or font are you going to use or do you want to try and edit all of those as well.

So all they need do is make enough changes to render it more bother than it is worth.

Quote:
There's no risk if anyone wanted to. Take two copies of the newly released version, do a byte by byte comparison. Where differences exist, omit as possible watermarking.

KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #237
december
Nameless Being

Reposting my question which seems to have gotten lost a few pages back: How are the special fonts handled in the American versions of these ebook files? (I'm thinking mainly of the Marauders' handwriting in book 3.) Are these just embedded images, or truly embedded fonts?

I'm thinking about buying the series as gift for a family member with bad eyesight, so if I can't resize the text, it sounds like we may be better off going with the UK version with no fancy fonts or illustrations.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #238
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Reposting my question which seems to have gotten lost a few pages back: How are the special fonts handled in the American versions of these ebook files? (I'm thinking mainly of the Marauders' handwriting in book 3.) Are these just embedded images, or truly embedded fonts?

I'm thinking about buying the series as gift for a family member with bad eyesight, so if I can't resize the text, it sounds like we may be better off going with the UK version with no fancy fonts or illustrations.
There are no special fonts (or any font for that matter) embedded into the epubs. They're just displayed as normal text (although somewhat stylized).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #239
Wasgo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious as to when you think piracy began. The use of the term "piracy" to describe the unauthorised copying of books, dates back over 400 years. See, for example, the complaints about piracy in the introduction to Thomas Dekker's book "The Wonderfull Yeare", published in 1603. His pirates appear to have been motivated solely by greed.
Sorry I didn't include the necessary context for my comment. In this case I'm only referring to electronic piracy. The difference being that electronic piracy has protection mechanisms that people take pleasure in circumventing.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #240
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
ProfCrash is right. The UK versions never had the illustrations or varied fonts in the print editions either. I'd just pull the illustrations and fonts and add 'em in if you want the best of both worlds. I'm mildly considering doing that myself, actually.
I have the fonts - can you direct me to directions on how to easily do this? I have Calibre but have not done more than simple conversions and organization with it. I'd prefer the UK books but would like the nice fonts in them. thanks
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote