Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[Old Thread] Save Template not working

I am a totally new user, and I have been experimenting with Calibre's "saving books to disk" Save Template. And nothing I've tried seems to make the structure change. Is there some magic needed to implement/activate the template??? (Yes, I've clicked on Apply!)

The Save Template is {author_sort}/{series}/{title}/{title}, but my directory structure has two authors, each with multiple titles and one shows {author} and the other shows {author_sort}.

I would also like to eliminate the parenthetical number applied to the title folder, but I suspect it's all part of the problem I'm having.

Can any one help this novice? (Yes, I've tried searching for an answer, but have been unable to come up with anything.)

Fantastic program, but I'm currently bugged! Thanks in advance!
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGinAZ View Post
The Save Template is {author_sort}/{series}/{title}/{title}, but my directory structure has two authors, each with multiple titles and one shows {author} and the other shows {author_sort}.
Save to disk is for saving books to disk outside of the calibre library. Save to disk does not change how books are saved to the calibre library. Choose a blank directory and save the books there and your template will work as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGinAZ View Post
I would also like to eliminate the parenthetical number applied to the title folder, but I suspect it's all part of the problem I'm having.
You have no control over this number it is used by calibre to track books withing calibre's database/library. It you expect calibre to continue working it would be best not to manually manipulate files inside calibre's library structure.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
THANKS!

Geeze, talk about not understanding a pretty basic function.....

Thanks Walt, you really got me off and running!

Tim
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
farvardin
farvardin began at the beginning.

Device: htc dream, htc desire, cybook odyssey
hello, I'd like to store the calibre database with the same settings as for the save template (for example {author_sort}/{title}/{author_sort}_-_{title}). Is it possible?
farvardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you mean you want to store books inside the calibre library folder with that format, then I am afraid that this is not possible. The naming format used inside the calibre library folder cannot be changed by the user.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
farvardin

>The naming format used inside the calibre library folder cannot be changed by the user.

well, it's a pity, I generally enjoy programs which can keep the user's filename unchanged. If I use Calibre I'll either have a duplicate of my books, or a single place with filenames I don't find logical (I prefer to sort by author's name first, and without spaces in the name).

So I'll probably keep Calibre to convert books, but not to manage by library.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by farvardin View Post
If I use Calibre I'll either have a duplicate of my books
Commonly referred to as a backup.

Quote:
or a single place with filenames I don't find logical (I prefer to sort by author's name first, and without spaces in the name).
If you use calibre how the files are named doesn't matter. The search tools in calibre can find, open, save, send or email a book faster then you could using a file manager.

Quote:
So I'll probably keep Calibre to convert books, but not to manage by library.
The command line interface tools work quite well if you want to avoid the book management aspect of calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
farvardin

yes, I use Calibre with the command line almost exclusively.

I was searching a way to manage my ebooks, and I was rather bewildered by the itunes / iphoto-like interface of Calibre. Let's make a comparison, for managing my photos I use digiKam, which just offer a conveniant interface to the hierarchical organisation of my folders. I store my pictures by /date/month/file-name and digikam helps me to sort files by extracting extra informations such as exif or by adding tags. Digikam doesn't move or rename my files.

I wanted to do the same with Calibre. My ebooks are sorted by /language/authorlastname-title and I wanted to keep this simple organisation, and adding a conveniant interface to this. I don't want to create an additional hierarchy with an inconvenient naming scheme. As for backups, I do backups, but I prefer to backup with the same filenames.