Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
One step forward, two steps back

My gadget lust started to kick in and I looked at the new Kobo and Nook Touch models. I love my Nook Classic 3g, but thought about "upgrading" if a new model came out at a reasonable price. Well, is it just me or do the new ereaders seem to take away as much as they add?

What I like:

Better battery life
Smaller/lighter design
Better Contrast
Touchscreen
Black case color

What I don't like:

More Ghosting (I personally prefer the flash between pages)
No audio (I like to play tranquil music in the background sometimes when I read, especially around the holidays)
No 3g (It would be nice to have the option, even though I barely use it)
No Games (I like playing chess every now and then when I'm in a waiting room and tired of reading)
Grey background (I like the cream color better)
No color (There is something cool about seeing my covers in color on the bottom screen. Plus, the LCD screen made the original nook unique. It also allowed for touchscreen controls/keyboard without touching the main reading screen).
Half Baked Web Browser (The original one was crappy, but the new one is obviously unfinished)

What I really wanted was a refined version of the original Nook model. Maybe a dark case color, better Battery life, pearl screen, and a slimmer profile.

So, if you own a Nook classic, I'd like to hear your opinion on the new Nook and Kobo. I still feel like I own the best overall ereader, in spite of the new models. I'll go as far as saying that if someone offered me a trade, I'd turn them down. In fact, I think the Sony 950 and Kindle 3 both offer more than the new Nook and Kobo (not in every way, just overall--although I still like my nook classic better than the Kindle and Sony ). I realize that personal preference has a lot to do with what each individual considers to be the best overall device, so I am particularly interested in what fans of the nook classic think about the tradeoff with the new devices.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
I had the original Nook, and I got the new N2E about a week and a half ago. I can honestly say I don't notice any ghosting - I don't see what people have been so concerned about, if there is any on mine, it's not noticeable. I also never played the games or worried about connecting when I wasn't near a wifi hotspot. As for music... I have an iPhone for that. The N2E is exactly what I was looking for - something to read books on.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Mycopsycho
Mycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlrsChick View Post
I had the original Nook, and I got the new N2E about a week and a half ago. I can honestly say I don't notice any ghosting - I don't see what people have been so concerned about, if there is any on mine, it's not noticeable. I also never played the games or worried about connecting when I wasn't near a wifi hotspot. As for music... I have an iPhone for that. The N2E is exactly what I was looking for - something to read books on.
I agree. I just came to the Nook 2 Touch from a Kindle 3. Ghosting has not been a problem. The smooth, rapid page turns are very nice. No games. No music. No problem. I use my Nook 2, as I did with the Kindle 3, strictly for reading books. 3G? I've never felt the need since I'm almost always near a wi-fi connection or can easily get to one. All these extras add to the weight of the device and the cost. The Nook 2 is exactly what I learned I wanted in the Kindle.
Mycopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
perhaps you should go with Nook Color? You sound like a tabled consumer, not a book reader.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
perhaps you should go with Nook Color? You sound like a tabled consumer, not a book reader.
agreed. You should be interested in the Nook if you're into e-ink stuff with the simple reading purpose.
In regards of the music, I too use to listen music when reading (mostly in transportation) and I prefer to have a dedicated device for that, otherwise the battery drains too quickly IMO.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I had a nook color. I have an ipad.

So let me get this straight, if I want to have some background music/sounds playing while I'm reading, look up something quick online, play a round of chess after I'm done reading a chapter in a waiting room, download a book from anywhere, or see my covers in color...I must be a tablet consumer who doesn't read books or enjoy eink. Considering the fact that I could do all of that on the original nook, and even the Kindle (minus the color covers) I don't think your stereotype holds up. My original argument was that I don't like to lose features when it's time for an upgrade. I never understood the argument that the lack of a feature is an asset.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have the original Nook WiFi... and I also upgraded to a Sony 950.

I sure hear what you are saying, as I'm dubious about the N2E. One thing I like about my classic is that I can see my BN downloaded content and easily drag and drop it to my computer for backup, something I hear cannot be done with the N2E. However, the N2E does offer part of what I wanted in an upgrade, better battery life and Pearl touchscreen. But without organization I can back up on my computer, not quite good enough.

In my case though, I really like and prefer the Sony 950 to a N2E! It has most of what my Nook WiFi has, and more, given that there's better organization possible, there's a 7" touchscreen, and 3G. The only lack is the touchy LCD color touchscreen and the games and I don't miss either. I think though, if one wants games on the Sony, one can install PRS+ and get a few.

No option for a dark color... but you could always skin it. Price isn't too bad for a refurb right now ($189 once added to cart), though it is quite a bit more than either N2E or Kobo. Still, there might be more sales. So if the new N2E and Kobo don't suit, and you still want to upgrade, you might consider the Sony again if it comes on sale.

Or, if you like your current reader, just hang onto it and ignore the gadget lust for the time being. Maybe Sony or Amazon will make something in the fall you'd like better. Even if you have to wait a year to upgrade, all that happens is you enjoy your current reader longer and save money.
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The nook touch is a no-frills reader, but what it does, it does very well. I have the original, and I haven't touched it since I got the touch.

I see your point about the music, I never used it on the original, but I can see some people listening to some music while reading a book. I myself listen sometimes to music, but I use a dedicated MP3 player.

Bottom line, the nook touch is a very good reader (not perfect, granted), it does have less features than the original, but the interface, battery life, ergonomics and simplicity compensate for that and put it heads and shoulders above the original.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I played with the Nook Touch in several BN stores last week, and I really liked it.
I did not notice any ghosting (and I did look for it)
Personally I like the idea of stripping the non-read stuff (like music) and keep the price down.
A word game, Sudoku or something wouldn't have hurt though, and I doubt it would have costed much (if any) to add.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
... I never understood the argument that the lack of a feature is an asset.
I think the emphasis is on lack of features at a reduced price. It's not the standard iPad argument where Android tablets are compared.

If someone makes use of all the features on the NOOK original I can certainly see why they wouldn't want to "downgrade".

The comparison to the 950 isn't that great, because with the NOOK you have access to a very good bookstore (including the ability to download samples). I'm a fan of the 950 having owned the 900. I considered it more than once, but had to pass because I never bought anything from the Sony bookstore. Why would I pay ($299) for features (3g and WiFi ) I'll never use. Now, at the price of $199 I'd be more content with solely sideloading content. It's a wonderful device with that large screen.

One of the things that irks me with the NOOK and Kindle is the 6" screen. After experiencing the Sony you always notice the difference.

Last edited by SCION; 06-25-2011 at 06:46 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric

It's funny because after the nook touch came out and I wasn't happy with where they went with it, I immediately thought of the Sony 950. I really like it, and even the color is an improvement compared with the glossy white nook original. But, the price is still quite high (I haven't been able to find a new one at $199 or under) and I much prefer the Barnes and Noble book store. Also, the Sony lacks speakers. Actually, I love the whole Barnes and Noble experience and would like to stay with them.

I totally get the whole simple ereader philosophy, and I get that what Barnes and Noble and Kobo did was focus on the most important aspect--reading. This of course kept the price down. But, I personally still want the option to purchase an ereader with all the bells and whistles intact, even if it costs more. Choice is good.

Right now I am going to continue to enjoy my current nook, and keep an eye on getting a deal on a Sony 950. Perhaps later in the year Amazon or Sony will dazzle me with their new devices and I'll give in to yet another gadget
Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I went from the 1st ed 3g to the touch nook. The things you listed as cons are some of the reasons I switched. I never used the browser, games or music player. I tried each one to see what it was like and then ignored them. I prefer the darker background (I actually had a matte skin on my 3g model).

I haven't had a problem with ghosting or fingerprints, so can't speak to those issues.

It's definitely a matter of preference. I like that it is a clean, simple e-reader, nothing else.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I must say that the main reason I'm looking forward to getting one is because I have all the bells and whistles on other gadgets. I simply want the option to read without having my battery die on me too quickly.

My dear iPhone 3G can't handle reading AND music for more than a few hours at its age, plus I use it excessively for calls and SMSes and Whatsapping and Twitter and Facebook and googling random information. I can't concentrate man.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I never played games or music on my N1E either. If you really want to be able to play games on the N2E, you could always root it, and the touch screen will probably be easier to use than the N1E's system. The main reasons why I replaced the N1E for the N2E were the battery length and the lighter weight.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The comparison to the 950 isn't that great, because with the NOOK you have access to a very good bookstore (including the ability to download samples). I'm a fan of the 950 having owned the 900. I considered it more than once, but had to pass because I never bought anything from the Sony bookstore. Why would I pay ($299) for features (3g and WiFi ) I'll never use. Now, at the price of $199 I'd be more content with solely sideloading content. It's a wonderful device with that large screen.
It all depends on the person and what their particular need is though. Let's just say that I have so far acquired books from BN, Sony, Kobo and Amazon as well as other sources and I don't feel that my access to books is compromised in any way by my choice of readers. I use all my books on both my readers.

Price wise, you pay more for the Sony, even at refurb price of $189.

But the 3G/WiFi feature was *not* the feature I was lusting or paying for, what I wanted was the improved organization, larger screen, better battery life and Pearl touchscreen. Still, I could see myself occasionally wanting some book "right now" and using the 3G to get it. And I do sometimes use WiFi and the web browser.

At any rate, my point is that if one wants a feature laden reader and is disappointed in the new Nook, Sony is a possible choice. There have been two sales lately... could be more.

Quote:
One of the things that irks me with the NOOK and Kindle is the 6" screen. After experiencing the Sony you always notice the difference.
Yeah that! Heaven help me if Sony or someone else doesn't continue the 7" e-ink screen model, because I really like it a LOT better. Pity BN didn't go that route for the new Nook. But I guess smaller/lighter is the popular thing and of course, shows up well against their competition at the moment.
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote