Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
custom column input - needs mouse click

the standard columns in main windows are easy to edit - you can move from field to field, & terminate editing with either enter or with arrow keys, like in Excel.

but not it seems, user created columns -
I have created a column to track what I have read, entering Y or N - it seesm that I have to left click with mouse, ouside of the field, to close off the enter data stage - i.e. - I can't go " type data" - then "press enter" which would be logical ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-27-2011 at 06:03 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - so I look more closely. waht seesm to happed is that sometimes the (mouse) cursor does not move after typing into the field & pressing enter or arrow. if moves maybe at the 2nd or 3rd press. I just done several trying to recreate an exact error sequence but it is hit n miss.

it is most noticable if there is an existing letter in the box, say , Y
I double click the box, which highights the Y, I type Z, which overwrites it. I press enter & nothing seems to happen. the box appears to be stil open for editI press enter some more & it sorts itself out.

what is also fogging the isseu is that as I type the Z, a 2nd box displays under the one I'm typing in, with a Z in it, as if the program is suggesting an input value to me?

most confusing when working down a vertical column, amending fields as I go.
it's a very minor issue but I think something is not 100% right here.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are you pressing Z, you should be pressing either Y, N or Space
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

I am using 3 values in my " read column "field
y = done,
blank = not started,
z = in progress,

I chose z because it sorts next to Y. anyway - that's just data values - my user column is just a column for text entry - it will accept any letter or mix of letters.

my issue is about completing the edit and moving to next field, without having to grab the mouse.
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is a enumeration type custom column? You are seeing the effect of completion. That custom column has a completion popup, which means you have to press enter twice. I would suggest for a simple tri-value column like this use a boolean custom column, which does not have a completion popup. Or train yourself to press enter twice.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

to be honest, I am not sure what sort of column it is - I needed a column for tracking books read and cribbed some help from the forum on how to set one up.

then I figured I could add another letter for books in progress, to gropb those easily

I do not see a way to determine column properties, but I'm sure you're right & I can live with it, rather than redo all the Y for read entires into a different column type.

there does not seem to be an "amend custom column" option ?